View Single Post
Old 08-15-2009, 06:11 PM   #18
brians0105

Model: 8703e
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

I just got back from the cruise.

I ended up getting the Global Data plan that is $64.99 per month, but it was pro-rated and I only had it for one week. So this month's bill will be $22.50 for my domestic pro-rated price and $16.25 for the one week of global access.

That all worked fine when we docked and I was able to find a GSM signal on shore. Most of the times I connected to either BTC (Bahemian Telecom) or Vodafone. I believe that using data on these carriers will be covered in my Global Data plan for that week.

I did turn the wireless connection on several times when were in the middle of the sea just because I was curious. The ship's staff told me that the CDMA and GSM "towers" on the ship would not pass data along to my phone... only voice. However, when I turned my phone on and connected to the ship's CDMA service (1X), it did slowly receive emails. I wasn't able to get in the internet browser, but it downloaded emails.

I'm not sure how much that will cost me... but I used 42KB that is labeled on my account online as "CDMA ROAMING/KBU." I am assuming that this is the usage when I connected via the ship's CDMA service.
Offline   Reply With Quote