View Single Post
Old 07-08-2009, 06:13 PM   #30
PinzPilot

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkym View Post
Yesterday it took about an hour to aquire a fix. Just because the last time I used my GPS receiver, I was about 1200 km (750 miles) away from my current position. It takes ages if I turn it back on in a new location :( But that's a common downfall of all GPS receivers in general.
An hour! Are you serious??? That is horrible!!! Like I said, I've used many different GPS software apps and TOPO by National Geographic was always the worst.....about 20-25 minutes. Pocket Navigator by Maptech which I currently use acquires a signal usually in 5 minutes or less. And, that's even if I'm traveling down the highway at 70mph.

Something is not right here. My biggest complaint at present with TopoExplorer is that it gives you no indication that it is in the process of acquiring a signal. This is an important feature for any GPS software. I'm going to test the signal acquisition time on my Storm this evening. If mine takes longer than 15 minutes, then this is something that MUST be fixed by the developer.

I'm curious, can you tell me if you have been able to maintain a signal while traveling at highway speeds? Some GPS software can not keep up with that and are meant primarily for hiking, etc. It will be even more disappointing if TopoExplorer also has this shortcoming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkym View Post
Btw: Google Maps uses some other sort of acquiring a GPS fix quicker rather than the satellite GPS. Therfore, you mostly get a location fix from the next cell tower your phone is logged in ... which is quite inaccurate, but it looks good
I have no clue what Google Maps is doing in the way of GPS. As far as I can tell, it only uses cell tower triangulation, but then, it may also be needing an extreme amount of time to acquire a GPS signal.
Offline   Reply With Quote