Thread: Storm 2
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2009, 08:58 PM   #40
Drillbit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: IT&E

The most likely reason why the Storm doesn't have Wifi, is most probably because they ran out of real estate in the motherboard after implementing additional GSM support circuitry. Though it does not explain the lack of such on the 9500.

For international business travellers, the need for GSM roaming outweighs the need for Wifi. The lack of GSM roaming does affect CDMA Blackberries.

Quote:
2. rim have a habit of holding off on technology until the price is right, you would expect them to improve or change their own touchscreen tech, but I wouldn't expect to see OLED this time round.
I expect them to have OLED.

Quote:
3. not likely, whether its an updated version of the one in the bold or the storm, you can't see them reusing the processor from a current device.
I don't see why not. HTC appears to reuse the same motherboard and processor between the Touch 3G, the Touch Diamond, the Touch Pros, and even with their Android phones.

The Storm currently appears to share the same processor with the Curve 8900, the 8350 and the Pearl Flip. Likely to be the same 528MHz Qualcomm chip the HTCs are using on the above. The Bold maybe using the same 624MHz Marvell processor used on the Samsung Omnia.

Practically every Nokia S60 since 2007, runs on the same 369MHz Freescale ARM 11 based processor and still do today, except for the upcoming Nokia N97, which is getting a 600MHz plus chip.

Quote:
4. it sounds so simple when you say it like that, such a form factor would be a separately developed device and would either come out at another time or from a different carrier entirely.
HTC literally did that when they turned the Diamond into the Touch Pro.

Last edited by Drillbit; 04-18-2009 at 09:01 PM..
Offline   Reply With Quote