View Single Post
Old 02-26-2009, 03:21 PM   #19
stuwhite
Feeling Blue, Bigly ;->

Model: 9000
PIN: 3, it's the magic number
Carrier: Most of them, it's a Global Village man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jletendre View Post
I know EXACTLY what you are talking about and we too have a script that runs every month and disables everyone then enabled the few that were grandfathered in. If I make it to WES I'd love to hear more about this "web page" the only one I have is the one to disable and kill. I would love just some better reporting so I can mirror the usage patterns we track with Blackberry.
Well WES is looking less likely by the day now. I wish they hadn't got my hopes up by mentioning the possibility coz the few (crappy) sessions at the EMEA virtual conf the other day made me realise just how much I got out of WES2007. If we don't make it to WES I will give you some details offline but it basically uses some clever MS scripting to do the parsing and some nice asp work from a colleague to display it the best you can. The beauty is that on the single page we display a table of all active users and have links to the mobile admin kill and disable pages so they can be locked down to admins while the monitor page is open to all IT. It's still not fantastic but better than anything I could find available commercially.

Quote:
the IIS parsing is a royal PITA and as mentioned I doubt I can validate the budget for full SCDM2008 - MS should've included much of that functionality into Exchange to begin with .. but the typical MS way is to make yet another product, CAL that you have to manage.
Well the parsing we do is handled by the cool page but I think it's all down to us using the better code from MS and my coder mate knowing his stuff well. Yeah man, use our stuff then buy our stuff to monitor our stuff on our stuff . It took me a long time to learn to love the RIM philosophy but when you compare it to WM (for all the cool things WM can bring), it just pays for itself so much when you have hundreds of users spread round the world.

Quote:
While 85% of my time is dedicated to mobility I would strongly suggest anyone is this field get comfortable with whatever messaging platform BES attaches too (Exchange, Domino etc)
hear hear. I guess I am lucky coz I worked with mobility before it was popular, then got into messaging heavily then when mobilty became cool, it was all pretty easy and old hat to me. I do feel for guys like kpoland though coz I know there are a lot of guys out there who are given things like the BES without the opportunity to work on/learn the messaging side and while there are a lot of damn fine mobility-only admins out there (just in case DarthBB is watching me!), it's gotta be nicer if you get to work on the messaging platform.