Old 12-01-2008, 03:16 PM   #60
Crackalack2008

Model: 8220
PIN: N/A
Carrier: TMO

[QUOTE=Berry One;1188973]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackalack2008 View Post

What TMO told you is not scientific explanation.

Blackberry data plan is RIM and TMO services you are paying for, including: connection to RIM through TMO cell network, use of RIM's BIS system to send and receive emails, use of RIM's browsing to browse the Internet, use of RIM's IM servers to, well, IM. I guess you've got the point.

So, no data plan - no carrier or RIM services. WiFi browser goes to Internet direct, without touching and taxing RIM's and TMO's infrastructures.

Same for the rest of blackberry applications - find those that can utilize WiFi without utilizing RIM's infrastructure - and they will work on your 8220.

In some cases you may have to find how to configure application to use WiFi. For example, I am pretty sure Google Maps and GMail App are not using RIM's services, but they might not know you want them to use WiFi and instead they try to connect through TMO network - which fails, of course.

So, there are no ports blocked - just access to RIM and TMO services is. It also is not stupid - you are getting what you are paying for.
Yeah...that somewhat makes sense...I will fiddle with the installed gmail/gmaps to see if I can get it working. The stupid part I was also upset about but failed to mention was that you can't add a pay-per-use data plan like AT&T. I don't use data when I am outside the house enough to justify 20-25$ a month.
Offline   Reply With Quote