View Single Post
Old 11-23-2008, 11:51 AM   #41
kenv
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Just follow the OS upgrade instructions at the top of this thread. Some people have said that DM 4.7 doesn't work for OS 190, so you can use DM 4.6, which does work, or you dig into the Program Files subdirectories, find the RIM loader.exe, and use that to load the OS.

As for the differences between the ATT theme and any of the others, it is a matter of personal preference as to style. The only substantive difference I know of is that the ATT theme blocks the BB Maps icon so that you can't use BB Maps. ATT wants you to use their Navigator service which costs US $10 a month. But I don't see the advantage of BB Maps over Google maps (unless BB maps cover other countries, while Google maps don't, but that wouldn't matter with ATT when you are in the US), both of which are free and neither of which have voice directions like Navigator. An alternative to Navigator is the Garmin program, which has voice directions, and for which you pay a one time fee of $99, or else you can pay $10 a month like the ATT Navigator.

That is the full extent of my knowledge on these subjects, maybe on all subjects, if you ask my wife.

Meanwhile, because it requires so much time to re-register the 3rd party programs and get all the icons back to where they were every time I upgrade the BB OS, I think I'm going to wait for something major before upgrading from 185, unless I read something here that convinces me otherwise.
Offline   Reply With Quote