Old 07-08-2008, 10:45 AM   #34
kgambino
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
In my opinion, I don't think the BlackBerry is for you.
Unless wireless push e-mail is on your priority list... then don't get a BlackBerry. You seem to be more interested in PDA functions and SMS. The BlackBerry is certainly not a PDA, and SMS functionality is not going to "chat-style" like you're asking.
BlackBerry is designed to be a mobile e-mail device. Everything else is secondary.

You're probably better off staying with a Palm device, or perhaps switching to a Windows mobile device.
You might even consider the Apple iPhone since you'll be syncing with a Mac.
You'll give up the stability factor, but your other requirements would be better satisfied.
I beg to differ. I had a Palm Axim before my bb8310. While it does not have touch screen, which I miss, I find it a more than adequate PDA. It syncs with Outlook just fine and I love that I don't have to carry a big, heavy lunky PDA in my purse, as well as a phone.

There are a few drawbacks. If you like MS Mobile, you will miss a few features. Also, there are not as many software options as for either Palm OS or MS Mobile OS (I've had Palm OS PDAs as well). But the relatively small size and weight make up for most of these drawbacks.

The biggest thing I miss other than the touch screen is WiFi; but I understand the new BBs have this feature. I just liked sitting on the sofa checking my email (lazy Gramma!).