BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   iPhone Android & other HandHeld Forum (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Look - the iPhone killer! (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=79727)

NJBlackBerry 06-05-2007 02:15 PM

Look - the iPhone killer!

Taiwan's HTC Launches iPhone Rival

Taiwanese mobile phone maker High Tech Computer Corp. followed in the footsteps of Apple Inc., launching a sleek, multimedia, touch-screen phone it hopes will rival the iPhone.

Chief Executive Peter Chou, speaking in the buildup to the launch of the HTC Touch device in London, said he believed the device will make a significant contribution to the company's financial performance this year.

HTC's Touch smartphone runs Windows and has a 2.8-inch screen
HTC, the world's largest manufacturer of mobile phones based on Microsoft Corp.'s Windows Mobile operating platform, said it will begin shipping the device within the next week, via France Telecom-owned mobile operator Orange. Deutsche Telekom's T-Mobile will also launch the product under its own brand MDA Touch in June.

The HTC Touch smartphone includes new TouchFLO touch-screen technology, which has been two years in the making by the Taiwanese manufacturer, and can distinguish whether phone users are using their fingers or a stylus.

Mr. Chou said the HTC Touch phone - like Apple's iPhone, which is set to launch in the U.S. later this month - includes strong mobile Internet functionality, which can be viewed via a 2.8-inch color screen. It also includes a one-gigabyte microSD memory card, allowing users to store multimedia content, such as videos and music.

The phone also includes a two megapixel camera and uses the Windows Mobile 6 operating platform, including Outlook email and Office software tailored for the mobile phone. The 13.9-millimeter thick phone will be able to access the Internet via Edge and Wi-Fi connectivity, but not third-generation phone masts.

Orange will sell the Touch phone using the HTC brand and will start selling it from Tuesday in the U.K. The phone will ship across other parts of Europe and Asia this month.

Until a year ago, all of HTC's phones were marketed under the operator's brand, but the Taiwanese company changed this in June 2006, believing it needed to market its own brand to achieve scale. Mr. Chou said in May that own-brand phones will represent more than 70% of its revenue in the coming years.

juwaack68 06-05-2007 02:23 PM

Sounds 'touching'. ;-)

Giselle9938 06-05-2007 02:46 PM

Link???? Pictures???

flash24 06-05-2007 03:05 PM

useless without pix :) jk

Giselle9938 06-05-2007 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flash24 (Post 557980)
useless without pix :) jk

hmmmm.... I only asked for pics of the phone.... lol Plus the thread title says "Look - the iPhone killer! " LOL

BTW any other type of pics... pm me LOL jk jk jk

NJBlackBerry 06-05-2007 03:33 PM

This was taken from today's Wall St. Journal online.
I do not have pictures, pix, rumors or any other information.

I am sorry this information is useless without pictures.

juwaack68 06-05-2007 03:39 PM

How about a picture of a hammer? Where's Pizzle when we need him.....

Giselle9938 06-05-2007 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry (Post 558019)

I didn't said it was useless. Flash24 said it. LOL

ndub33 06-05-2007 07:47 PM

Pretty speedy response from HTC. Can't help but think that this is also a Microsoft response, as well. It appears that the months of pre-launch hype over the iPhone have gotten the industry's attention. The next few months (after both devices have been in the marketplace for a bit), should be interesting.
FYI- I found this to be a worthwhile piece without pics or unfounded inuendo. Thx, NJB.

markhutchison 06-05-2007 08:36 PM

pics: http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/...9287389,00.htm

Giselle9938 06-06-2007 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juwaack68 (Post 558026)
How about a picture of a hammer? Where's Pizzle when we need him.....

hmmmmmmmmmmmm lol!!!!

Giselle9938 06-06-2007 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markhutchison (Post 558375)

(y) Thanks!

dc/dc 06-06-2007 07:42 AM

Take your pick:

HTC Touch hands-on - Engadget Mobile

HTC Touch announced : The Boy Genius Report

You're welcome.

Giselle9938 06-06-2007 07:47 AM

I know, I know....

"google is your friend" LOL

Pearly White 06-06-2007 11:02 AM

Still waiting for those pics Giselle......... lol jkjk

Giselle9938 06-06-2007 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pearly White (Post 559132)
Still waiting for those pics Giselle......... lol jkjk

Geeeeeeezzzzzzzzzz
Sit down and wait because I'm still waiting for the pics of the hammer LOL jk jk jk

Dawg 06-06-2007 11:21 AM

Last HTC phone I had with WM was biggest piece of crap I ever owned. Was constantly having to reset the dang thing several times a day.

Even following tweeks listed every where I still had issues. I didnt even sell it I threw it in the garbage. I didnt want to be associated with such a crappy device.

gadgetfanatic 06-06-2007 12:12 PM

My 8125 ROCKS!!! Has never "froze" and has never needed to be reset.

Has anyone seen the iPhone TV commercial?? Even a hardcore bb freak would have to admit the overwhelming "coolness" of the iPhone.

"Nokia will own RIM by the end of 07"

Dawg 06-06-2007 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gadgetfanatic (Post 559244)
My 8125 ROCKS!!! Has never "froze" and has never needed to be reset.

Has anyone seen the iPhone TV commercial?? Even a hardcore bb freak would have to admit the overwhelming "coolness" of the iPhone.

"Nokia will own RIM by the end of 07"

I have seen it and I am not impressed at all, and you are smoking crack if you believe that RIM will sell by the end of the year. There stocks are higher than Nokia at the moment

flash24 06-06-2007 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry (Post 558019)

Oh LOL I'm sorry, the name of the thread got into me