BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 8100 Series Discussion - Pearl (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   New Pearl - is it normal to see "Data Connection Refused" ? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=65477)

herdie 02-17-2007 04:47 PM

New Pearl - is it normal to see "Data Connection Refused" ?

Hi,

Just got my Pearl home turned it on (Has been on for about 1 hour or so) but get the 'Data Connection Refused' message on the home screen. Also no 'Web n Walk' (Browser) icon.

Just wonderig if this is normal as it is brand new and it will take T-Mobile a little while to register my data account? I have voice and SMS working and GPRS indicator in the top right of screen.

Thanks in advance(y)

LunkHead 02-17-2007 05:02 PM

Have them resend your service books or log into your BIS account and resend them.... Also check under Options >> Network and make sure that Data Services is set to ON

Another thing to try is Options >> Advanced >> Host Routing Table and select Register Now...

NJBlackBerry 02-17-2007 05:06 PM

If it does not appear shortly, make sure the carrier has added the BlackBerry Data Plan to your account.

herdie 02-17-2007 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LunkHead
Have them resend your service books or log into your BIS account and resend them.... Also check under Options >> Network and make sure that Data Services is set to ON

Another thing to try is Options >> Advanced >> Host Routing Table and select Register Now...

Checked those settings and settings and it seems to be ok, but still getting 'data connetion refused'

How do i log into BIS, forgive me for being such a newb, do i need to create a BIS account as I have no BIS details from my provider or im my documents. thanks

NJBlackBerry 02-17-2007 05:19 PM

Did they set up a BlackBerry Data Plan for you?

d_fisher 02-17-2007 05:22 PM

Take the battery out of 10 seconds. If you still get the Data Connection Refused message your most likely missing the BB data plan.

MythmbHurts 02-17-2007 05:37 PM

sign onto your t-mobile account online and set up the Blackberry email you have to pay extra for the BB data plan incase no one told you yet. T-mobiles unlimited is only $19.99 a month

NJBlackBerry 02-17-2007 05:39 PM

Web n Walk (in the first post) would indicate T-Mobile UK and not T-Mobile US.

herdie 02-17-2007 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
Web n Walk (in the first post) would indicate T-Mobile UK and not T-Mobile US.

Yes, I am in the UK and my receipt states that I have purchased the Blackberry data plan. I will try and remove the battery for 10seconds

herdie 02-17-2007 06:09 PM

Well I tried removing the battery and still displaying 'data connection refused' I have logged into my TMobile account online and it all seems to be fine, it tells me I have a voice and Web+Walk (Data) plan, yet I still cant use data on my Pearl!

figsjohn 02-17-2007 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herdie
Well I tried removing the battery and still displaying 'data connection refused' I have logged into my TMobile account online and it all seems to be fine, it tells me I have a voice and Web+Walk (Data) plan, yet I still cant use data on my Pearl!

give it some more time you just got your pearl an hour ago it might take two or three hours maybe even longer.

vinniegolfs 02-17-2007 07:29 PM

Just wanted to give you my two cents. I'm not a pearl expert or anything, but my BB shows the same thing. I've had my phone for about 4 months and it works just fine. I have noticed and maybe yours does the same, when I either first turn it on, my carriers' name appears for maybe 30 sec's or so and then I get the 'data connection refused' too. I never had worried about unless your phone is not working properly. Enjoy!

NJBlackBerry 02-17-2007 07:39 PM

Vinnie - can you send and receive e-mail when it says "Data Connection Refused"? The original poster wants to do more than just phone and text.

vinniegolfs 02-17-2007 08:21 PM

Well, sorry for my two cents....

d_fisher 02-17-2007 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herdie
...it tells me I have a voice and Web+Walk (Data) plan, yet I still cant use data on my Pearl!

That doesn't sound like a BlackBerry data plan. Call your carrier and verify that they have the proper data plan assigned to your account. It MUST be a BlackBerry data plan.

Mogsy 02-19-2007 06:26 AM

Yes call your carrier, this usually happens when the handset loses its BB APN connections, or its not setup correctly.

Normally they ask that you drop the wireless link while they do this to give it time to update across all their systems, after 5mins or so reconnect and make sure that GPRS appears in CAPS.

coreyg510 02-19-2007 07:02 AM

APN is not necessary to receive the data for email. APN is used for 3rd party applications and such. Generally with most carriers, your BB's APN is clear out of the box.

I suggest as instructed above, to make sure that you have an actual BB data plan. If you do, then be patient, it may be hung in the switch and will require time to register with your device.

Worm 02-19-2007 05:39 PM

An APN is required, typically provided for BB services only, this will be provisioned with the "BB data plan" to the network and will reside in a service book on the device (I'd guess provisioning or Secure WAP transport). Any GPRS connection requires an Access Point Name at each end of the connection, Subscriber SGSN entry -> device, in order to create a Packet Data Protocol context (session). The error you are seeing means this is missing from one end or both.

cheers

Audiofyl 03-04-2007 11:10 AM

my phone suddenly showed data connection refused. I went to options>network and turned data off, save and close, then went back and turned it on and the message went away. HTH

Perfect Storm 03-04-2007 11:28 AM

Yup, this is a non BB SIM error. I'll bet that the GPRS logo isn't caps but in lower case.

You'll have to get access to the BlackBerry.net apn in order for it to go away.