BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9600 Series Discussion - Tour (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Weird keyboard issue - suggestions? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=241135)

maninblak 12-04-2010 08:54 PM

Weird keyboard issue - suggestions?

Hi everybody - new here (duh), but I DID search first & didn't find anything. That said... having an odd issue: on a few keys, when dialing, they also enter other characters along with the ones I pressed. For instance: when I dial the "4" key, it enters"42", dialing "3" gets me "Gr", "1" gets me "1#", and so on with a few other keys. Any ideas? I'm guessing the problem has been discussed here before, but as I said, I couldn't find the thread for it. Any help would be great.
Thanks in advance peeps.

JSanders 12-04-2010 09:48 PM

Re: Weird keyboard issue - suggestions?

Keyboard issues such as that are common with devices that have been in a high moisture environment, even left on a bathroom counter during a hot shower or bath.
It's more common than you think.

Read this and follow the instructions EXACTLY as posted.

Got Your BlackBerry Wet? - BlackBerryFAQ

maninblak 12-05-2010 11:57 AM

I checked the "Got your BlackBerry Wet" link first, but the phone has never gotten wet (that I know of) & the indicator stickers are fine. Is there any solution if the damage has already been done? New keyboard, membrane, etc.?

Dubdub 12-05-2010 12:04 PM

BB's and moisture do not mix very well and if it did get wet and it wasn't left to dry without the battery, the damage is probably already done. You could take it to a Verizon repair or tech support center to see what they have to say, but repair might cost more than you would pay for a new (or used) one.

tsac 12-05-2010 12:27 PM

On my 8310 my fat fingers :razz: never missed the keys. When I changed to the 9700’s and discovered my fingers were not designed to easily use the keyboard I was left with only one solution, loose weight.
Failing that I had to get used to the difference. I still make the same double key strokes and I tried some of the keys you are having issues with and exactly the same keys were typed. Not all.
This may not be your problem but just an offer on another possibility.

JSanders 12-05-2010 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maninblak (Post 1681161)
I checked the "Got your BlackBerry Wet" link first, but the phone has never gotten wet (that I know of) & the indicator stickers are fine. Is there any solution if the damage has already been done? New keyboard, membrane, etc.?

You could try replacing the circuitry under the keyboard, which is the main board. There's not much other you can do.

And for moisture damage you'll very rarely see the Liquid Damage Indicator turn red... for moisture.
Complete dunks in liquid, yes.