BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Social Networking (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=144)
-   -   Yahoo Messenger Activation Code (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=231589)

myfavorthing 07-23-2010 06:59 PM

Yahoo Messenger Activation Code

Hi all,

I have a BB 9700 and the phone is currently used in Vietnam. I wasn't able to access yahoo messenger in here because it was asking for YM activation code which I had no idea what it was. Would you guys please me to solve this problem? Thanks a lot!!

devnull 07-23-2010 07:32 PM

I use YIM on my bb and it has never asked for an activation code. Do you have a Yahoo account?

myfavorthing 07-23-2010 07:40 PM

Yes, I have a yahoo account. I don't know if because the phone is used in Vietnam, not in USA or not.

aiharkness 07-23-2010 07:46 PM

You are talking about the Research In Motion (RIM) Yahoo Messenger app, right?

See BlackBerry App World - Yahoo Messenger. It say all countries and all carriers.

My experience is same as devnull. I installed and then signed in with my yahoo ID and password. That's it.

Tylerly 07-23-2010 08:31 PM

may be you can send message to YM provider.

myfavorthing 07-23-2010 09:28 PM

When I bought this phone, it includes YM in there. I didn't have to download anything. I tried to log in with my username and password, but it didn't work. It said DATA SERVICE UNAVAILABLE, while I have other applications for IM they all work........Thanks

Sydman 07-23-2010 10:10 PM

I would uninstall that one and reinstall new one from App World.

MidnightDraven 07-24-2010 04:23 AM

you need a blackberry data plan to use yahoo messenger.
hence the "data service unavailable" message.

aiharkness 07-24-2010 07:32 AM

emphasis on blackberry

Sounds like you have a generic mobile data plan, right, myfavorthing?

myfavorthing 07-24-2010 09:50 AM

As I mentioned above, the phone is currently used in Vietnam, out of USA. I bought that phone for my brother in Vietnam and the phone is unlocked. I thought as long as he has Wifi and internet available which is paid monthly in Vietnam, so he should be able to use it. I am currently live in Boston and I have a Motorola VE66 with Tmobile carrier, but without internet service. However with Wifi and if anytime I have internet available, I am certainly able to use YM in my phone without any problems. So...I assume the BB 9700 that is used in VN now should work the same because as aiharkness said BB App World....for all countries and all carriers. @aiharkness: I am not sure what you meant a generic mobile data plan. would you please explain it?

Should I ask my bro to uninstall that one and reinstall a new one as sydman said???????

I am really sorry you guys that I am not an any cell phone or computer experts so.... please be patient to me and I really appreciate for all your helps in this forum.

aiharkness 07-24-2010 09:53 AM

A blackberry user must have a blackberry data plan on the device to use RIM/blackberry data applications, even on wifi. Hence, the yahoo messenger app written by RIM for the BlackBerry will not work without a blackberry specific data plan.

Generic mobile data plan means just that... the regular mobile data service sold by carriers. It is not the same thing as a blackberry data plan.

Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile