BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9000 Series Discussion - Bold (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   Bold Sim card different from others? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=172933)

ads791 01-28-2009 12:02 AM

Bold Sim card different from others?

Has anyone heard that Bold Sim cards are different from others?
I complained to Rogers that my battery isnt lasting long enough and they insist its because im using my older sim card from my previous curve.
They claim it affects the battery, call quality and even causes java errors (which I do get)
Is such a thing possible? If so, ill upgrade the sim to at least get a full day battery.
Comments appreciated.
thanks.

John Clark 01-28-2009 12:33 AM

Sim cards can most definitely be different. As to whether or not that's causing battery life issues is another story. If they'll swap it out for free, then go for it.

dc/dc 01-28-2009 07:01 AM

If your SIM is really old, it could be a problem.

Older SIMs only had 32k of memory, while the newer ones that are made for 3G phones have 64k or even 128k. 32k SIMs do tend to have problems in 3G phones.

ads791 01-28-2009 09:29 AM

Is there a way to tell how old it is?
Model # or something?
thanks
they want 50 bucks to change it

WickedBez 01-28-2009 09:44 AM

I moved a user's sim from an 8700 to a bold and found that I could not activate correctly till i replaced the SIM (att). At support they could tell that the sim was too old only cause they tried to register (the old sim) it would fail.

djkmann 01-28-2009 02:07 PM

I called and complained about my bold not being able to render webpages on my browser. Rogers told me to change to the SIM card that came with my bold.

I still have trouble with my browser not being able to render webpages but I feel that it's a memory issue not a SIM card issue.

Anyway, Rogers must know that there is a difference between SIM cards if they are willing to use that as one of their troubleshooting techniques.

Dorian 01-28-2009 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ads791 (Post 1262960)
Is there a way to tell how old it is?
Model # or something?
thanks
they want 50 bucks to change it

I assume your profile saying "Bell" is old?

$50 is robbery. PM me a mailing address and I'll send you one.

deebers 04-03-2009 09:51 PM

Well, I'm not too sure WHAT Rogers does and doesn't know... I just spent two days on the phone with them in tech support, and in the shop, and I still don't have a phone that works properly.
I bought a phone of "this guy", placed a test call, paid him, see ya. Only, I couldn't register with RIM (you know, for email and apps and all that), so Rogers was telling me that my sim card was no good. I just had it in an iPhone (ssshhhh, don't judge me) and it worked FINE with it, and it's a 3G phone! My phone is only Edge, not even 3G so really my sim should have been just fine.
I saw someone else getting the same run around and it costs 50 bux to buy a new card, and even with that I can't even be assured my beloved BB will work? Wow, do they wear masks when ringin up the till or what????!:del:

Quote:

Originally Posted by djkmann (Post 1263414)
I called and complained about my bold not being able to render webpages on my browser. Rogers told me to change to the SIM card that came with my bold.

I still have trouble with my browser not being able to render webpages but I feel that it's a memory issue not a SIM card issue.

Anyway, Rogers must know that there is a difference between SIM cards if they are willing to use that as one of their troubleshooting techniques.

pipin 04-04-2009 12:13 AM

3G Sim Card

When i bought my Bold doesnt work well with 3G so i talked with the tech support and they said i needed to change the SIM card. Now i have a 256K SIM card and no more trouble with 3G. I'm in Argentina and the people of Personal (my company) made the change for free. Best regards to all.

fiffer 04-04-2009 12:56 AM

They've been having compatibility issues with low memory SIM cards, so you really have to get a new SIM card to get this fixed.

stufried 04-05-2009 09:17 AM

If Rogers won't give you a new SIM card, you are better on Ebay. I bought one off Ebay and had no problem transferring my account to it.

DJBoozy 04-05-2009 09:59 AM

my new Vodafone bold was given a "USIM" with it, so the man in the shop said - orange UK dont use USIM's in there phones.

dc/dc 04-05-2009 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJBoozy (Post 1343011)
my new Vodafone bold was given a "USIM" with it, so the man in the shop said - orange UK dont use USIM's in there phones.

The USIM is simply a more advanced SIM card designed for 3G networks. The main difference, as I mentioned above, is in the memory on the card. For simplicity's sake, most people and carriers (like Orange and at&t) just call them SIM cards even if it is technically a USIM.

Subscriber Identity Module - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

dankarlinski 04-05-2009 10:15 AM

Wirelessly posted (My Bold)

Usims will work if it is programmed properly. The companies will jack up prices and plain out lie to get more cash from you. U can ebay a new sim for prob about 10 bucks

CalCowher 04-07-2009 07:38 PM

How does one determine SIM/USIM memory? 9000 Bold purchased 11/2008 in UAE ...

Complete Newbie here ...

Options > Memory is reading:

Application Memory Free Space: 43.5MB
Device Memory Free Space: 859.2MB
Media Card Free Space: 3.7GB

SIM Card: Security Disabled

UAE Estisalt unlocked by Horizon Wireless, code accepted ... now accepts Mexico Telcel SIM, connects to 3G with BB logo ... all seems to work well except for duplicate gmail email ...

dc/dc 04-07-2009 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CalCowher (Post 1345648)
How does one determine SIM/USIM memory? 9000 Bold purchased 11/2008 in UAE ...

Complete Newbie here ...

Options > Memory is reading:

Application Memory Free Space: 43.5MB
Device Memory Free Space: 859.2MB
Media Card Free Space: 3.7GB

SIM Card: Security Disabled

UAE Estisalt unlocked by Horizon Wireless, code accepted ... now accepts Mexico Telcel SIM, connects to 3G with BB logo ... all seems to work well except for duplicate gmail email ...

Your SIM card will usually have it printed somewhere on the card how much memory is on it. Most USIM cards will have at least 64K of memory on them, but some have up to 256K.

CalCowher 04-07-2009 08:03 PM

Thanks for the response; however, printed on the card:

0410F
telcel V3
HS

Thanks again.

dc/dc 04-07-2009 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CalCowher (Post 1345676)
Thanks for the response; however, printed on the card:

0410F
telcel V3
HS

Thanks again.

Check the card holder. It may or may not be there. Not all cards have that data.