BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 8300 Series Discussion - Curve (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   WIFI Gray (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=149736)

BountyKilla123 09-12-2008 12:59 AM

WIFI Gray

I seen comments about this issue but non as resolved

I just got a unlocked TMobile BB 8320

I am trying to connect to my home router using wifi.

Connection is established but yellow icon shown.

Unable to browse internet how do I do so

eurobred 09-12-2008 01:31 AM

when you are connected, does it show UMA under your signal bars?

BountyKilla123 09-12-2008 01:32 AM

no it doesnt.....also not using the phone on the tmobile network

eurobred 09-12-2008 01:51 AM

so you dont have the date plan with your carrier?
without the date plan you cannot browse the internet, whether you're connected to wifi or not

BountyKilla123 09-12-2008 01:54 AM

The wifi on blackberry is only active when you have a data plan with carrier ? What happens when you are in an area where you cant get data connection throught carrier but can pick up wireless connection ?

eurobred 09-12-2008 01:59 AM

your blackberry will detect wifi as long as its enabled
but in order to browse the internet you have to have the date plan with your carrier to support internet.
wifi isn't going to give your blackberry free internet access unfortunately.

the purpose of wifi on the blackberry is to allow you to browse the internet faster than it already can, and send messages/emails faster than usual

makedonce 09-12-2008 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eurobred (Post 1097255)
your blackberry will detect wifi as long as its enabled
but in order to browse the internet you have to have the date plan with your carrier to support internet.
wifi isn't going to give your blackberry free internet access unfortunately.

the purpose of wifi on the blackberry is to allow you to browse the internet faster than it already can, and send messages/emails faster than usual

that is not truly correct. WiFi only lets you surf the web even if you don't have data plan. You only need the service book which should come pre-loaded. Try turning the cell signal off and use only wi-fi to see if u can surf.
I have unlocked t mobile phone on t-mobile macedonia without bb data plan and i can use the wi-fi browser.
to use the other wi-fi functions, such as UMA, u need data plan

vmladenov 09-12-2008 07:25 AM

Wirelessly posted

Eurobred, you're wrong, makedonce, you are right. I have a T-Mobile 8320 USA and I had no data for a month and my wi-fi internet browsing was flawless. All you need to do is set the General Properties of the browser and pick Wi-Fi browser.

BountyKilla123 09-12-2008 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vmladenov (Post 1097372)
Wirelessly posted

Eurobred, you're wrong, makedonce, you are right. I have a T-Mobile 8320 USA and I had no data for a month and my wi-fi internet browsing was flawless. All you need to do is set the General Properties of the browser and pick Wi-Fi browser.

I have it set to Wi-Fi Browser, i can get internet for 2 mins then after that it fails

makedonce 09-12-2008 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BountyKilla123 (Post 1097378)
I have it set to Wi-Fi Browser, i can get internet for 2 mins then after that it fails

Maybe you have a problem with the signal. Try using different wi-fi device to check. Are u getting an error message or it just locks?

eurobred 09-12-2008 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vmladenov (Post 1097372)
Wirelessly posted

ahh, i stand corrected.
thanks for covering that.
"you live and you learn"
i was just under the impression that if there is no data plan, how would it allow you to use BB browser if there is no protocol, but i guess i was wrong! :-o 8-)

appreciate it (y)

BountyKilla123 09-13-2008 07:53 PM

I can surf the net even though its gray....took off the wep on my wireless router and it worked. However blackberry services like MSN, BB msger etc dont work with wireless connection......OR is there a way to get around this ?

dasunst3r 09-13-2008 08:59 PM

You don't need a data plan to be able to surf the web using the wifi antenna. At minimum, you will be able to use the browser and make phone calls with minimum configuration changes.

Also, have a look here: http://www.blackberryforums.com/wifi...abler-uma.html

John Clark 09-13-2008 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BountyKilla123 (Post 1099238)
I can surf the net even though its gray....took off the wep on my wireless router and it worked. However blackberry services like MSN, BB msger etc dont work with wireless connection......OR is there a way to get around this ?

Without a BB data plan you don't get any BB services like email, pin, BBMessenger and application internet access (unless the app supports standalone wifi.)

All you can do is surf the web using the wifi/hotspot browser. Usingn the hotspot browser doesn't even require a sim card.

vmladenov 09-14-2008 12:05 AM

Wirelessly posted

Quote:

Originally Posted by eurobred
so you dont have the date plan with your carrier?
without the date plan you cannot browse the internet, whether you're connected to wifi or not

What are you talking about you just need to set the browser to wifi browser