BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Mac Users Corner (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Desktop Software for Mac? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=132660)

Blackberryer 05-30-2008 10:33 PM

Desktop Software for Mac?

I'm new to using a BB with a Mac and wondered if the Desktop App that comes on CD with the phone is supposed to run on a Mac? I tried loading it but the disc looked empty when I did.

Do I have a bad disc or am I getting my first taste of life using a BB with a Mac?

(For what it's worth, Pocketmac worked like a charm. Yes, I was surprised too after all I had read.)

penguin3107 05-30-2008 10:36 PM

No, it's not supposed to run on a Mac. The CD that comes with the BlackBerry is for Windows only.

finch 05-30-2008 11:52 PM

Unfortunately not, try PocketMac or Missing Sync for BlackBerry

BBSwany 05-31-2008 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackberryer (Post 950764)
I'm new to using a BB with a Mac and wondered if the Desktop App that comes on CD with the phone is supposed to run on a Mac? I tried loading it but the disc looked empty when I did.

Do I have a bad disc or am I getting my first taste of life using a BB with a Mac?

(For what it's worth, Pocketmac worked like a charm. Yes, I was surprised too after all I had read.)

PocketMac does the job in keeping contacts, calendar, and such in line. Using BB and Mac together is a little difficult at first but you'll get used to it. :smile:
Hopefully Desktop Manager 4.5 or 4.6 will have Mac support.

Blackberryer 06-01-2008 02:29 PM

Wow, very disappointing to read all of this. I know Macs don't make up the majority, but we're hardly a tiny market. You'd think a company like RIM would appreciate and "get" Apple and throw us all a bone.

jdoom 06-01-2008 09:57 PM

just by missing sync, works like a charm. yes it sucks to be a step-child of BB but what can you do? It is a small price to pay not to have to suffer the hell of running Windows.

cwcanty 06-02-2008 07:56 AM

yeah its a small price...but a price that NO Mac user should ever have to pay. RIM should include a desktop manager for Mac with every BB. We shouldn't have to pay for it.

penguin3107 06-02-2008 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcanty (Post 952780)
yeah its a small price...but a price that NO Mac user should ever have to pay. RIM should include a desktop manager for Mac with every BB. We shouldn't have to pay for it.

RIM provides Pocketmac for BlackBerry for free.
You can choose to purchase Missing Sync, or you can use Pocketmac for free.

Pocketmac simply isn't on the installation CD which comes with the device. You need to download it.

fourthsyde 06-02-2008 08:48 AM

missing sync is the easiest one by far.... costs money, but what doesnt on a blackberry/mac?

CMatthews 06-04-2008 01:31 AM

I used Missing Sync, it works great, then used VMware to run XP to get the added benefits of Desktop Software from RIM, such as backing the device up, and OS upgrades. It would be nice to have the ability to it without having to run Windows, but for now it will have to do.:-(