BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General Legacy Device Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   No data capabilities w/ AT&T & 8700c? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=123483)

kvon 04-02-2008 09:54 PM

No data capabilities w/ AT&T & 8700c?

Have done a lot of searching on these forums, and found lots of jargon bandied about that I don't understand, hope someone can help.

8700c with AT&T, pay as you go plan. The AT&T reps tell me my account is enabled for data access (at 1¢/min), however: network status shows "edge" (lower case), and "data connection refused". Also, after close to an hour with 2 different reps, they tell me that my device is apparently not compatible with their pay as you go services - I'd have to get a contract account. Bad answer for me - my monthly data needs are VERY low. I need pay as you go.

Saw on another post (which I can't for the life of me find again) one of the gurus saying that the data connection refused can mean 1 of 3 things: network signal/coverage issue, data plan is not "provisioned" for the carrier, or no data plan. I've ruled out 2 of the 3, so it must be this provisioning issue. I have no idea what that means.

Here's my questions: 1) is there a way to configure this device to work with AT&T mediaNet (or their pay as you go) data plan? 2) What are these things I keep seeing, and do I need to investigate: APN, WAP, TCP, provisioning...?? 3) Is switching networks an option (without switching the BB device)? Is this an unlocking issue?

Also, FWIW, I can't seem to access ANY of the FAQ pages. Keep getting a message saying "vBulletin Message: all cookies cleared!" What's up with that?!

Sith_Apprentice 04-02-2008 09:57 PM

you need to set your TCP settings under options > advanced > TCP

wap.cingular
[email address]
CINGULAR1

those are the settings, in that order, in that case. you will still get data connection refused and edge in lowercase, since you do not have a BB data plan. . you wont need to switch networks for this to work, nor is it an unlocking issue. as for the faq clear your cache manually in your browser and you should be fine after that

ezrunner 04-03-2008 02:57 AM

Wirelessly posted (blackberry 8140)

You can't have BB data access on the pay as you go plan!

You may have success using a generic data option

Mark rejhon wrote an excellent how to on it

kvon 04-03-2008 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice (Post 881878)
you need to set your TCP settings under options > advanced > TCP

wap.cingular
[email address]
CINGULAR1

those are the settings, in that order, in that case. you will still get data connection refused and edge in lowercase, since you do not have a BB data plan. . you wont need to switch networks for this to work, nor is it an unlocking issue. as for the faq clear your cache manually in your browser and you should be fine after that

Didn't seem to work. I open the browser & get a message saying "your device does not currently have any browser configuraion service book entries." I go to the host routing table under advanced/options, it's empty. I hit "register now", it says it sent a registration message, but I never get a reply message.

Sith_Apprentice 04-03-2008 03:17 AM

do you have the mediaNet plan?

kvon 04-03-2008 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice (Post 881899)
do you have the mediaNet plan?

I believe so (uncertainty because I've never actually used it). But when I check my account online it shows "MEdia™ Net 1¢/kb".

Sith_Apprentice 04-03-2008 03:24 AM

you need the plan itself not just the capabilities. If i remember correctly, there are prepaid data plans you can add.

kvon 04-03-2008 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice (Post 881910)
you need the plan itself not just the capabilities. If i remember correctly, there are prepaid data plans you can add.

Yes, there are prepaid data plans (e.g. 1M / $4.99). But the reps seemed pretty certain that the device itself does not have data access at all, irrespective of what the plan supports or what has been pre-paid. Of course these people didn't seem to be technical wizards, but Everything I've seen seems to support that. Do you think I was misinformed? Maybe it's worth 5 bucks to test it out?

Sith_Apprentice 04-03-2008 03:37 AM

How to use BlackBerry on Generic Data Plan - BlackBerryFAQ

try looking at that faq and you might have to test out that prepaid data plan.

ezrunner 04-03-2008 11:27 AM

Wirelessly posted (blackberry 8140)

They reps are told specifically that the BB will not work with anthing other than a proper BB data plan. That is the training. While it is possible to get it to work without using methods in FAQ you won't get much help doing so from ATT

Perfect Storm 04-03-2008 12:32 PM

Without a BlackBerry Data plan, the browser cannot be used.

ezrunner 04-03-2008 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfect Storm (Post 882144)

Great point PrefectStorm

OP you will need to use desktop manager to load operamini or another 3rd party browser

kvon 04-03-2008 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfect Storm (Post 882144)

Any idea why that is? I've seen that stated in a couple of places, but having a hard time believing there's not some way around it...

Dubdub 04-03-2008 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kvon (Post 882235)
Any idea why that is? I've seen that stated in a couple of places, but having a hard time believing there's not some way around it...

You can always install OperaMini and use it with MediaNet. From what I have heard and read, it is somewhat hit or miss as far as ease of use.

As for the BB Browser, it needs a BB dataplan because it is integrated into the BB/RIM network. Adds some security features I assume. No way around it as far as I know, other than OperaMini.

IMHO, you really miss much of the functionality and features of the BB if you don't also have the BB dataplan.

Perfect Storm 04-03-2008 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kvon (Post 882235)

The BlackBerry is designed to be connected to the BlackBerry network. The connectivity provides the service books which allow the intended functions like the browser to work. The browser specifically uses the mobile data services on RIM's network to process all browsing before delivering it to the device.

There is no way around it. Many on here have claimed that they were going to go hack it. None have ever returned.

duramaxdavid 04-04-2008 01:57 AM

Wirelessly posted

I guess I don't have the bb plan. After reading this thread I downloaded operamini and mi internet is working now

kvon 04-04-2008 08:38 PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I sure would be curious to know why duramaxdavid got his to work with the same device & carrier as I'm using. I also installed Opera Mini and still couldn't get it to work.

Got the situation figured out however, by way of a creative workaround... So I don't need the data plan anymore. FWIW, I have a company-issued BB that's my primary, and a personal BB that I use for voice only. Had something I wanted to do short term only and didn't want to use the company device - glad I didn't have to pay for a data plan contract. Highway robbery it is, but that's for another thread.

b_in_atl 04-16-2008 07:37 PM

I also have a 8700c with AT&T and it will not not work with the MediaNet plan. I have the correct information in TCP but it still does not work. When I launch Opera Mini it goes through the network setup and says at the end that it was unable to establish a connection. If anyone has anymore insight on how to get this working I'd certainly appreciate it.