BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   BES Admin Corner (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Picture Attachments (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=116184)

rogerssa 02-05-2008 09:15 AM

Picture Attachments

OK, been working now for a while trying to understand why picture attachments are not working on our BB's.

I'm running BES version 4.1.3.18. I'm able to get PDF, Word, Excel attachments just find and vew them on my Perls and Curve BBs. But jpg, bmp, and gifs are not working. They show up on the BB as an attachement but the option to retrieve or open is not there when you click on the attachement name.

I understand it could be a IT policy, but I'm using the default policy and havne't changed a thing there. They are not HTML emails just plain text that the image is attached to.

I'm at a loss as to what else to check. Can anyone help.

Shane

DarthBBerry 02-05-2008 10:19 AM

Under BlackBerry Server Configuration, Attachment Server tab, Configuration Option: Attachment Server. Be sure Windows Meta File Attachments is checked and the max size = 0.

Frank Castle 02-05-2008 10:24 AM

I was going to mention you can also under the same tab use the Test Attachment Server and see if the BES will open the attachment. If so your likely using a blackberry with a OS that is out of date. I believe image attachments started with OS 4.1

rogerssa 02-05-2008 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthBBerry (Post 823159)
Under BlackBerry Server Configuration, Attachment Server tab, Configuration Option: Attachment Server. Be sure Windows Meta File Attachments is checked and the max size = 0.

Yes Windows Meta File is checked and set to 0.

rogerssa 02-05-2008 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jletendre (Post 823164)
I was going to mention you can also under the same tab use the Test Attachment Server and see if the BES will open the attachment. If so your likely using a blackberry with a OS that is out of date. I believe image attachments started with OS 4.1

I can do a test and it sends it, but the only choices are output as text or UCS so I don't know if the test is working correctly. I submit a .bmp and When I hit submit it says "The file was sucessfully converted."

I have OS 4.2 on my Perl so my OS should be fine.

CEESANGEL7189 02-05-2008 11:03 AM

hELLO, I JUST JOIN AND I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW TO CHANGE MY TRACKBALL ON MY BLACKBERRY AND WHERE DO I GO TO DO THIS. THANKS FOR YOUR TIME AND HELP

Frank Castle 02-05-2008 11:24 AM

Options / Screen & Keyboard

amukhey 02-05-2008 12:20 PM

Is the attachment listed as gif in the configurations?

rogerssa 02-05-2008 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amukhey (Post 823348)
Is the attachment listed as gif in the configurations?

Not sure what you mean here.

I've been testing. I've tried. .jpg, .gif, .bmp, .tiff all same problem. They show the attachment on the email but you can't open or retireve it.

amukhey 02-05-2008 12:38 PM

Is the attachment service (Windows Service) turned on the BES? What does the log say when it is trying to open these attachments?

rogerssa 02-05-2008 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amukhey (Post 823380)
Is the attachment service (Windows Service) turned on the BES? What does the log say when it is trying to open these attachments?

Yes BlackBerry Attachment Service is started and running.

I had extended logging disabled. I just enabled it and restared the attachment service. Though not sure where the log is kept, but i'll look for it and send some more test emails.

Frank Castle 02-05-2008 12:50 PM

In the attachment types, do you have .bmp listed?

rogerssa 02-05-2008 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jletendre (Post 823405)
In the attachment types, do you have .bmp listed?

On the Connector Configuration under format extensions I have this list:

doc:dot:xls:pdf:ppt:pps:wpd:zip:txt:htm:html:bmp:j pg:jpeg:gif:png:tif:tiff:wav:wmf:rtf:mp3

TekGyrl 02-05-2008 01:11 PM

Sounds like your running METAMessage?

If you are,
Alter your METAMessage INI file with this line:

RIMCONVERSION=+

usually saved on your METAMessage server in :
c$\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Applications\METAMessage\X-rimdeviceMETAmessage.ini

Send the INI in an email to the handhelds has an attachment. It will appear and disapper once the handheld processes it. (about 1-2 seconds)

It will re-enable the "OPEN ATTCHMENT" Menu Option for any email recieved after the handheld processes the INI file to open Attachments on emails stored in the inbox prior to it receiving this INI file will have to be reforwarded.

rogerssa 02-05-2008 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TekGyrl (Post 823428)
Sounds like your running METAMessage?

If you are,
Alter your METAMessage INI file with this line:

RIMCONVERSION=+

usually saved on your METAMessage server in :
c$\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Applications\METAMessage\X-rimdeviceMETAmessage.ini

Send the INI in an email to the handhelds has an attachment. It will appear and disapper once the handheld processes it. (about 1-2 seconds)

It will re-enable the "OPEN ATTCHMENT" Menu Option for any email recieved after the handheld processes the INI file to open Attachments on emails stored in the inbox prior to it receiving this INI file will have to be reforwarded.

Wow. I wouldn't have ever figured this out. Did what you said on our 5 BB's. All is working perfect now.

Thanks a million.
Shane

amukhey 02-05-2008 02:42 PM

awesome...wouldnt have guessed that..learn something new everyday!

TekGyrl 02-05-2008 02:59 PM

Glad to be of service!