BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   BES Admin Corner (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Discovering A BB Phone Number (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=103673)

GJH1968 11-07-2007 09:27 AM

Discovering A BB Phone Number

Does anyone know if there is a way of finding out the actual telephone number of the SIM card in a Blackberry from the BES?
I can find the SIM Card number but not the phone number.

Thanks.

Jadey 11-07-2007 09:33 AM

It usually reports to BES. You might need to amend a view in BlackBerry manager to show the column.

Occasionally I have a few devices that do not report back their SIM phone number, this tends to be with the 8100s

GJH1968 11-07-2007 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jadey (Post 731202)
It usually reports to BES. You might need to amend a view in BlackBerry manager to show the column.

Occasionally I have a few devices that do not report back their SIM phone number, this tends to be with the 8100s

There is a Phone Number entry listed in each user's details but it's blank. All of the other details (Network Type, Blackberry Device Model, Platform Version, Serial Number, etc.) are all complete.

We're running BES 4.1 SP3.

Cheers.

gooseberry 11-07-2007 10:55 AM

hi
you need to add phone number to sim on the blackberry device for it to be seen in the BES console. on the blackberry go into settings then advanced options then sim card then press your scroll wheel which then should give you an option to edit sim phone number.....this will allow you to add the phone number. if the number does not appear you may need to take out the battery and put back in and it should appear on the device and will then get updated on to the BES.....

GJH1968 11-07-2007 11:21 AM

Thanks for that. Is there any way of getting it to show automatically? As the users already have their handhelds it's too late to manually put the number in.

mahoward 11-07-2007 12:13 PM

Unfortunately this has been discussed before and it appears there is no way for a BES admin to do this. There are varying reports of the carriers being able to send a special command to program the SIM phone number however I am skeptical of this approach. I think it requires end user intervention at the device level.

kurizma 11-07-2007 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mahoward (Post 731438)
Unfortunately this has been discussed before and it appears there is no way for a BES admin to do this. There are varying reports of the carriers being able to send a special command to program the SIM phone number however I am skeptical of this approach. I think it requires end user intervention at the device level.

I'm pretty sure the carrier can do this remotely. With AT&T, most of the phones I setup with either a brand new blank SIM or a SIM that has been programmed with a number will be updated with the correct number once it connects to the gsm/edge network. No intervention is required.

jibi 11-07-2007 07:25 PM

The carriers can send a text message to the devices that will provision the SIM card. This does not require end-user interaction.

mahoward 11-08-2007 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jibi (Post 732075)
The carriers can send a text message to the devices that will provision the SIM card. This does not require end-user interaction.

Hmmm... the hacker in me is salivating at the thought of this...

gooseberry 11-09-2007 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GJH1968 (Post 731357)
Thanks for that. Is there any way of getting it to show automatically? As the users already have their handhelds it's too late to manually put the number in.

create a document for the users on how to add there mobile number and get them to add it to there device as that is what i did with over 150 users (in the document use screen shots - you know users they get scared when you ask them to to do any thing in the slightist bit technical):smile:

bdixon 11-12-2007 10:39 AM

I have been wanting to do the same thing. Is it possible to get screenshots of your BB?

gooseberry 11-14-2007 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdixon (Post 737269)
I have been wanting to do the same thing. Is it possible to get screenshots of your BB?

do a search for BBscreen software on this forum and download that utilitity which will alow you to take screen shots of you blackberry..