BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Aftermarket Software (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   WebMessenger Workaround (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=71)

bb_tech 08-20-2004 05:31 PM

WebMessenger Workaround

When you download WebMessenger it is a 30-day trial. Well, when the 30-day trial expires, do the following:

Go into Desktop Manager
Go to Backup/Restore
Go to Advanced
Highlight RMS database on the right-hand side
Clear RMS database

Voila...you now have the 30-day trial back without having to reload the software. I have been using the "trial" version of WebMessenger for 7 months now :lol:

Tom 08-20-2004 05:39 PM

Sure, there are ways around it, but its much better to actually purchase the product, as its not exactly that expensive.

Without companies like Webmessenger, we wouldnt even have products such as Webmessenger for RIM.. therefore its good to support them.

I am debating whether or not to lock this, but for the time being I will leave it open.

Mark Rejhon 08-20-2004 06:23 PM

Hi,

I really feel that this is something you should pay for.

If you cannot afford WebMessenger, get one of the many cheaper instant-messaging clones now Blackberry compatible instead:
http://midlet.org/category.jsp?parentLevel=222
(Load this URL on your Blackberry and do an Over-The-Air download. IM+ is one that also works)

Although WebMessenger has the superior user interface in my experience, the other programs I tested were more usable than WAP instant messaging and could suit your needs at your budget. (I like WebMessenger's split-screen full-duplex chatting that takes little effort compared to other instant messaging solutions ... I just type messages and hit Enter, type another message, hit Enter, and so on, without ever using the thumbwheel .... while in a splitscreen the incoming messages show up)

And there's now an open-source free ICQ client called BlackChat ICQ at:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/blackchat

kirson 08-20-2004 10:05 PM

On the moral front, I think you should pay for the software if you want to use it -- on the other hand, it is pretty expensive and you have to pay every year. So, Mark's advice is good -- get a cheaper (or free) application.

As for deleting the RMS database -- BEWARE! This will disable any other applications you have already paid for and registerred. Also, you'll lose your Brickbreaker hi score :)

Slightly off topic -- anyone else having problems getting Webmessenger to work right now? Their web site seems to be down, and the application is not working on my 7230...

Thanks,
Ian

d123456 08-20-2004 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirson

Slightly off topic -- anyone else having problems getting Webmessenger to work right now? Their web site seems to be down, and the application is not working on my 7230...

Thanks,
Ian

i had a problem just an hour ago, but now its working again!
:)

kirson 08-20-2004 10:30 PM

Are you able to access the webmessenger site at www.webmessenger.com?

Gothalyptic 08-21-2004 09:24 AM

I've actually purchased it myself after using the workaround for about 2 months. I got sick of the work around, broke down, purchased it, and I'm really glad I did. I get more support if needed, don't have to "reregister" it every 30 days anymore. I'll agree with everyone else, and add my own to it. It's important to support the good programs, and discourage the bad programs. This program is excellent.

EDIT: Sorry that was a co-worker, thought he'd be a guest instead I have set to always log me on.

bb_tech 08-21-2004 09:33 AM

I will never purchase WebMessenger because it is VERY unreliable. It'll work sometime but not others. I won't pay for it until it is 100% stable, or at least close to it.

Mark Rejhon 08-21-2004 10:53 AM

Part of the unreliability is Mailstreet's timeout for inactive connections :-( ... which confuses WebMessenger somewhat. The problem is, which part of the instability is WebMessenger's fault and which is Mailstreet's fault.

Keepalive packets should be transmitted more often than the timeout period, but I know Mailstreet changed the timeout down to 60 seconds from the BES/MDS default of 120 seconds, which wreaked havoc on my Idokorro MobileSSH until Idokorro released a new version that had a 50-second keepalive, which solved my problem.

The unreliability inflicts other instant messengers I've tried too. I think some of the problems are WebMessenger's but some problems because of the MDS timeout. However, I do notice sometimes celltower switchovers and going out of reception area for 5 minutes, can cause problems as well, meaning next time you try to send an instant message, it might not work until you logout-login.

Further Improvements could be made though, on both the BES/MDS server end (such as set the timeout to a very high value), and WebMessenger.

If WebMessenger doesn't work well, try other instant messengers instead. Idokorro made the modification for me (1.2.15 came out because of my feedback) because I paid for it. Pay for it, you get better support. If you pay for WebMessenger then complain about issues (scientifically, if possible), you're more likely to get a reliable program. Why are you sticking to WebMessenger if it's so bad you don't want to pay for it? I've now tested out 3 different instant messengers and they all work on BlackBerry well enough, one of them might be 'good enough. IM+ works too (AIM, ICQ, MSN), it might be more reliable.

BTW, What's your BES timeout value currently set to? It usually causes part (but not all) of the unreliability in persistent-connection Blackberry Internet apps (telnet, IRC, instant messengers, etc)

AMCELL J 08-24-2004 02:31 PM

So yes I am new...so in order to work this program I need to have mailstreet? is that correct any other messenger programs that dont need it?

Thanks!

kirson 08-24-2004 02:48 PM

I think that in order to get any IM client to function fully (with push functionality) you will need to have BES access. You can get it from Mailstreet, mybalckberry.us, or a number of other sources. Without BES, you can use some IM clients, but you have to poll the network to see if you got any message. Kind of defeats the purpose.

AMCELL J 08-24-2004 06:21 PM

ok got it! thanks for the explanation!!!

ScOObydoo 08-25-2004 04:27 PM

It's a good tip, AND I am usually pretty cheap when it comes to spending $50 on software, but when my trial runs out in a week I'll purchase it.

I'm still amazed at the quality of it, and through myblackberry.us I've not seen a single disconnect yet, even though I've been online for hours at a time...

Tom 08-25-2004 04:50 PM

Unfortunately, because I respect companies asking a small amount of money for a large amount of work that goes into programs, I am going to have to lock this thread.

I have emailed WebMessenger requesting special Group Buy Pricing if more then 10+ people purchase their software.