BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General Legacy Device Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   Seidio extended life battery for Blackberry 8800/8830 (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=80298)

seidioseidio 06-08-2007 06:35 AM

Seidio extended life battery for Blackberry 8800/8830

Seidio will release the extended life battery for Blackberry 8800/8830. If you would like to be notified when it is released, please send an email to [email address]

Maverickster 06-08-2007 01:05 PM

Same size as the current battery or will there be a bulge and a different battery cover?

Thanks.

--Mav "A Happy Seido BB 8800 Holser Owner" rick

Maverickster 06-21-2007 01:01 AM

Any news on this?

Thanks.

--Mav

seidioseidio 06-21-2007 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverickster (Post 575674)
Any news on this?

Thanks.

--Mav

Yes, it is a 2400 mah extended battery with the included battery door.

ssbands04 06-21-2007 03:36 AM

Does it make the blackberry thicker? Or does it use the regular battery cover?

cyprus 06-22-2007 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seidioseidio (Post 575810)

Any idea when the extended battery will be available? Does this make the device thicker?

woodi68 06-22-2007 03:15 PM

The "included battery door" indicates that it will be thicker, like every other extended life battery.

nimocone 06-22-2007 05:29 PM

Quote:

Does this mean it's out? I checked the website and couldn't find it.

speedbagger 06-22-2007 05:39 PM

how bout a extended battery that is the same size?

and don't tell me it can't be done.............because it can--its just more expensive to produce.

i'd be willing to pay more for it. anyone else??

amursko 06-22-2007 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedbagger (Post 577461)

and don't tell me it can't be done.............because it can--its just more expensive to produce.

I'd buy at least one, perhaps two same size extended batteries. I'd pay $100 if necessary.

I will NOT buy a larger-size extended battery.

It can absolutely be done - if the battery in the razor-thin IPhone is as good as reported, it's very doable. It doesn't even have to be 2400mah as opposed to the standard 1400mah - I'd be thrilled with a same-size 1800mah battery.

Make it, Seidio.

DallasFlier 06-24-2007 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedbagger (Post 577461)

Quote:

Originally Posted by amursko (Post 577649)
I'd buy at least one, perhaps two same size extended batteries. I'd pay $100 if necessary.

I will NOT buy a larger-size extended battery.

It can absolutely be done - if the battery in the razor-thin IPhone is as good as reported, it's very doable. It doesn't even have to be 2400mah as opposed to the standard 1400mah - I'd be thrilled with a same-size 1800mah battery.

Make it, Seidio.

Uhh, its not that simple. The argument of "it can - its just more expensive to produce" works when the original battery was NiCd or NiMH and you're moving to a newer, more energy efficient technology like Lithium. In this case, the original BlackBerry battery is already Lithium, and the battery capacity is DIRECTLY related to the volume of the battery. So there's no way to stuff more capacity into a battery without increasing the physical volume of the battery itself - or moving to a more efficient technology, which is not an option in this case.

speedbagger 06-25-2007 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DallasFlier (Post 578214)
Uhh, its not that simple.........there's no way to stuff more capacity into a battery without increasing the physical volume of the battery

Uhh, whats not so simple is to get peoples minds around the fact that there is NO WAY rim is producing the most efficient Li-ion battery available given the packaging constraints.

2 seconds of research will tell you that physical volume is NOT the only measure in the Li-ion capacity equation.......and, yes, i have way too much time on my hands.....

Argonne Transportation - Lithium Battery Technology Patents

"composite-structure" electrode materials for rechargeable lithium-ion batteries...offer superior cost and safety features over state-of-the-art LiCoO2 electrodes that power conventional lithium-ion batteries...................An additional advantage of using electrode structures with manganese and nickel ions in the LiMO2 component is that these structures can accommodate additional lithium; they form layered Li2 MO2 structures without compromising the reversibility of the reaction, thereby providing additional capacity to the electrode.

someonexh 06-25-2007 04:50 PM

subscribed.

packetknife 06-25-2007 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedbagger (Post 578820)
Uhh, whats not so simple is to get peoples minds around the fact that there is NO WAY rim is producing the most efficient Li-ion battery available given the packaging constraints.

2 seconds of research will tell you that physical volume is NOT the only measure in the Li-ion capacity equation.......and, yes, i have way too much time on my hands.....

"composite-structure" electrode materials for rechargeable lithium-ion batteries...offer superior cost and safety features over state-of-the-art LiCoO2 electrodes that power conventional lithium-ion batteries...................An additional advantage of using electrode structures with manganese and nickel ions in the LiMO2 component is that these structures can accommodate additional lithium; they form layered Li2 MO2 structures without compromising the reversibility of the reaction, thereby providing additional capacity to the electrode.

Frequently the biggest barrier to even the premium priced batteries is ~FAA~, not anything else. Laptop batteries "of the future" have remained that way simply because of FAA concerns.

With that said, I agree they could do better stock for a little more $$ and the business BBs at a minimum would do well to offer that as an option.

-Pk

DallasFlier 06-25-2007 06:33 PM

Quote:

OK, fine, if you change from the standard LiIon to this new LiMO2, then you can increase capacity - that is essentially changing the process, as I mentioned before. I was speaking of industry-standard LiIon technology - within a given technology, it is pretty much a matter of volume. So, do you know if this is airline/FAA approved? Do you know if there are ANY production facilities for batteries using this new patent and process? You said you're willing to pay a bit more - but are you willing to fund the hundreds of thousands (or maybe millions) of dollars it would take to set up a new factory? Its still not as simple as your friend's earlier statement of "Make it, Seidio!" I'd be willing to bet if it WERE that easy, you'd already see such batteries available - from Seidio or others.

speedbagger 06-25-2007 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DallasFlier (Post 578984)
Do you know if there are ANY production facilities for batteries using this new patent and process?

yep, i'm working in one now. we're producing a composite-structure li-ion battery for the new iphone............;-) kidding.

my point is simply this: rim supplies a battery that they feel bb users will find acceptable in terms of capacity, period. to think you're getting the best battery that could be produced at that size is naive (no offense).

its up to seidio (and the other aftermarket wizards) to one-up them if they can justify the business case.

so, like i (and my other friends) have said, we're willing to pay more if this can be accomplished.

Nickster248 07-02-2007 05:33 PM

Quote:

Do you have an expected release date for the 8830 extended battery and door?

Nick

gibber9583 07-03-2007 01:12 PM

/price

DallasFlier 07-03-2007 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedbagger (Post 578998)
my point is simply this: rim supplies a battery that they feel bb users will find acceptable in terms of capacity, period. to think you're getting the best battery that could be produced at that size is naive (no offense).

And my point is this - I don't believe there are any better **commercially available** technologies today than the LiIon batteries that come with the BlackBerry. To think that one can provide a better battery at that size using technology that is **commercially available** today is naive (no offense).

Quote:

its up to seidio (and the other aftermarket wizards) to one-up them if they can justify the business case.

More naivety? Seidio doesn't build and own battery factories. They buy **commercially available** batteries from offshore companies who have such factories.

Quote:

so, like i (and my other friends) have said, we're willing to pay more if this can be accomplished.

Alrighty then - I suggest that when you and your other friends are willing to invest millions that it would take to commercialize and build a plant for this newly patented technology that you threw out there, Seidio would love to hear from you, so give them a call when you get that factory running! (Or when you're aware of ANY factory **commercially producing** batteries with higher capacity/volume ratios!)

seidioseidio 07-03-2007 04:24 PM

A very heated discussion!

Is it hot in here or is it just me? J Thought I might be able to help clear some of this up.

Quote:

Uhh, its not that simple...

This part is true. It is sometimes very difficult to design a thinner battery due to technology restraints. We as a company have to decide first if it’s possible and if it is, does the difference in capacity justify the cost.

Quote:

…there's no way to stuff more capacity into a battery without increasing the physical volume of the battery itself - or moving to a more efficient technology, which is not an option in this case.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DallasFlier (Post 587496)
…I don't believe there are any better **commercially available** technologies today than the LiIon batteries that come with the BlackBerry. To think that one can provide a better battery at that size using technology that is **commercially available** today is naive (no offense).

Actually this is what we do every day. One of our best examples of this is our original 2400mAh battery for the Treo 700/650. The OEM battery is 1800mAh, but we managed to get 2400mAh out of the same physical space. We’ve also done this with the 755p, 8525, Motorola Q, and most recently the T-Mobile Dash.
Quote:

…there is NO WAY rim is producing the most efficient Li-ion battery…

Quote:

…rim supplies a battery that they feel bb users will find acceptable in terms of capacity, period…

RIM, Palm and HTC are all in the business of selling phones. They are trying to achieve a certain price point and have to control costs. The battery is included in those costs. They will buy the battery that costs them the least amount of money but provides what they feel is an acceptable amount of usage.
Quote:

…Seidio doesn't build and own battery factories. They buy **commercially available** batteries from offshore companies who have such factories.

We don’t build the factories, but we absolutely do manufacture the batteries. All of our batteries are custom designed and manufactured by us.
Quote:

…I suggest that when you and your other friends are willing to invest millions…

If you’re going to invest millions I would suggest my kids' college fund. It’s a very worthy cause…I promise! J