BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   iPhone Android & other HandHeld Forum (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   The iPad Is Garbage (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=218063)

guinda35 01-27-2010 09:21 PM

The iPad Is Garbage

Certainly given the following which I lifted from a tech site:

No GPS
No Camera
No Multitasking
No OLED Screen
An extremely disappointing 256 MB of RAM!
No Additional Touch Gestures
No Videocalling/conferencing/iChat
No Handwriting recognition
No Wireless Syncing of File Management
A Very Low Resolution Display with 25% fewer PPPs than the iPhone or iPod Touch
No integrated TV antenna or Radio antenna
No Video Out
No OTA Sync With Apple TV or Servers To Stream Video
No Low Reflective Screen Mode for high contrast Ebook Reading that doesn't hurt your eyes
Only 64 mbs of HDD space
No Gamepad attachment for Gaming With Physical Buttons/Tactile Feedback
No bluetooth, or ability to connect to a bluetooth mouse/keyboard
No RFID/IR to use it as a remote, or to tag it to yourself
No Replacable/Removable Batteries
No Flash support (no hulu.com)
No ability to connect to an extrernal hdd, or even an SDCard
A 1 Ghz processor that significantly slower than every single notebook on the market today, even the $199 ones.

And who greenlighted the name iMaxiPad. Does Apple not have at least one woman on their staff?

penguin3107 01-27-2010 09:43 PM

Similar bashing was rampant when the first iPhone was announced as well.
Last I checked, the iPhone is one of the most successful products ever put to market.

I suspect the iPad will follow suit with typical Apple cycle of release:
Rumor --> Hype --> Announcement --> Disappointment --> Bashing --> Acceptance --> Success --> PROFIT.

Dubdub 01-27-2010 09:52 PM

Kinda hard to bash with any credibility something that isn't in the hands of the consumer, has not been reviewed by any of the major suspects, nor has even crossed the eyes and hands of the OP.

mrvtx 01-27-2010 10:17 PM

Probably will make their 3G network performance worse, though.

Noodle22 01-27-2010 10:28 PM

I think it's too early to form an concrete opinion, especially when none of us have actually used or tried it.

All we can go by now is others reviews.

monkeypaw 01-28-2010 03:28 AM

For where it's designed to fit in, it's interesting. It's obviously not a notebook replacement, and the itouch always seemed too small for video to me. With itunes and an ebook app, it's going to be able to provide a lot of media.

The worst thing about the BB for me is the web browser. So I'd love a supplemental device, but an itouch isn't useful enough, and carrying a laptop around is cumbersome, particularly with the power adapter.

One more generation of this to add a camera and fix bugs and it's a definite maybe.

akosnitzky 01-28-2010 06:36 AM

Wirelessly posted (Lets Go Canes!)

It is indeed too early to judge. I do hope for a windows based competitor however. Maybe I will need to wait for the ipad plus or whatever the sophmore device may be.

juwaack68 01-28-2010 07:23 AM

Sorry, but iPad name makes me think of the feminine hygeine aisle at the store.

Apparently now....there's an app for that.

ifonline 01-28-2010 07:27 AM

Wow, guinda35. If you are going to bash an unreleased product, you could at least get the specs right. Sad.

Dubdub 01-28-2010 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juwaack68 (Post 1555624)

I am not even going to try to imagine how .......

TTsoldier 01-28-2010 07:33 AM

Quote:

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/image...fancy12710.jpg

Personally, I'm going to hold out until next year when they unveil the..........iPad mini. It will just be the iPhone without the phone. No...wait a minute...they already have that...it's the iPod Touch....

FAIL!

ArgonNJ 01-28-2010 09:19 AM

OP, thank you for your insightful review of a product NO ONE even has used yet. Based on your opinion, I now have no reason to ever want or buy this device.
/s

TBOLTRAM 01-28-2010 10:48 AM

Well, the spelling is rather close to iPod. Remember that one?

monkeypaw 01-28-2010 02:01 PM

Quote:

CNBC is discussing this exact issue right now.

One of the commentators threw out the names itablet or iMoses. iMoses would have been a great name. Jobs could have descended from a hill in period clothes and I bet people wouldn't have batted an eye.

Noodle22 01-28-2010 04:28 PM

Or iTab. iTab would have been better than iPad.

"Jobs could have descended from a hill in period clothes and I bet people wouldn't have batted an eye"

I can picture that! Haha.

TBOLTRAM 01-28-2010 07:04 PM

How about Newton.

ifonline 01-28-2010 08:29 PM

Used to have a few of those, actually. Loved them. The iPad (I really wish it had a different name) is starting to seem more interesting to me the more I look into it. But as several reviewers have suggested, I will wait to pass final judgement once I can actually hold one and experience one.

My biggest (no pun intended) concerns at the moment center around it's size. It may not seem too big once I can pick it up, but I won't definitively know until then.

ifonline 01-28-2010 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akosnitzky (Post 1555598)
Wirelessly posted (Lets Go Canes!)

It is indeed too early to judge. I do hope for a windows based competitor however. Maybe I will need to wait for the ipad plus or whatever the sophmore device may be.

Don't forget HP's offering: The HP Slate -- Engadget

It's getting lukewarm acceptance, but to me it looks pretty interesting.

SteveO86 01-28-2010 08:51 PM

As mobile and as powerful as smart phones are, is the market for tablet PCs still that strong?

ifonline 01-28-2010 09:17 PM

Was it ever really that strong? Microsoft has tried for years to make something out of Tablet PCs, but it never really seemed to catch on outside of specialized markets. However, I think it might be a bit dismissive to consider the iPad a Tablet PC.

As others have noted around the web, it is a giant iPod Touch/iPhone more than anything. I consider a Tablet PC a full OS laptop minus the keyboard, something the iPad isn't (I don't think). It doesn't run OS X and can't run OS X applications. It can run iPhone applications, however, and is entirely based on the iPhone OS. It's a media-centric tablet, but not a Tablet PC (note the clever use of capitalization).

Of course, now that I've said all that, I'm not sure if you were asking in regards to the iPad or the HP Slate. In the case of the HP Slate, it is a traditional Tablet PC that is aiming for more media-centric use, but it is still a Tablet PC at its core. Not sure how that will work out, as the complaints I have followed regarding Tablet PCs is that because they use a full laptop OS, they are difficult to navigate unless using a stylus.