BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 8900 Series Discussion - Javelin (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   8900 Stuck at loading screen after a dip in the pool! (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=250572)

Dantoshou 06-24-2011 08:20 AM

8900 Stuck at loading screen after a dip in the pool!

okay so what happened was, the phones screen got wet ( just on the screen and buttons) but the phone was still on.
The phone worked fine and could still text call and email whatever i needed, but i got worried about the water and got told to put the phone in a jar of rice, it seems to have worked to get the water out and the phone still turns on etc, but it gets to the BlackBerry loading screen from when you take the battery out and put it back in, and gets to about 75% and freezes.

Im really confused and would like to know what i can do about this, can i bypass the screen, or is the phone broken and needs repairing?

thanks for all help in advance,
Dantoshou

juwaack68 06-24-2011 08:22 AM

Re: 8900 Stuck at loading screen after a dip in the pool!

Take the battery out and LEAVE IT OUT for at least 24 hours.

Put the phone and the battery in a bag of DRY white rice and let it dry out completely for at least 24 hours.

Everytime you put the battery in to 'check it out', you are frying the internal components.

rambo47 06-24-2011 08:22 AM

Sounds like the BlackBerry needs REPLACING.

Dantoshou 06-24-2011 09:29 AM

okay ill try leaving it off for a day, i don't think it needs replacing, my dad had this problem when he took it out cycling, it got too humid in his bag and i said leave it a day, it worked the next day, just hope this works for me too! :smile:
fact it still turns on is a good sign i suppose!

Arthrog 06-24-2011 09:45 AM

The minerals in the water are shorting something out.

If drying out the phone does not work I have had luck with alcohol baths or rinsing them in distilled water.

NJBlackBerry 06-24-2011 09:46 AM

No it is not a good sign. Turning it on when it has gotten wet fries it more. Leave it off and in a bag of rice (with the battery out) for a few days.

Dubdub 06-24-2011 10:13 AM

Read this from our FAQ: Got Your BlackBerry Wet? - BlackBerryFAQ

Better to leave it to dry for 3 to 5 days.

Dantoshou 06-24-2011 12:13 PM

hey all, just looked at those "strips" both are white, very weird, anyway ill leave the blackberry off for a few days, its such a pain because the one person i want to contact is away at the moment and the blackberry is the best way of communicating, guess ill just have to wait and hope its working again by wedensday.

Dantoshou 06-26-2011 08:08 PM

right its been well over 3 days now, still freezing at the blackberry screen, tried reinstalling the OS via the computer software, its wiped all data i think as the blackberry screen loads quicker, but still gets stuck at that same part, ive not had this bb long, about 3 months now, so it should still be under warranty, i just don't understand how it got so wet, i didn't spill any water directly on the phone. anyway ive emailed o2 and they said take it to my local shop and see if they can repair it, hopefully they can fix it im not fussed if it costs me id just like a working handset again!

Dantoshou 06-26-2011 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rambo47 (Post 1729363)
Sounds like the BlackBerry needs REPLACING.

as in buy a new one or get it replaced under the warranty as unfit to serve its purpose seeing as i literally only used the phone outdoors in england (yes its a rainy country but it wasn't that bad) i don't know maybe these smart phones are too flimsy for british weather, i have an old sony ericsson im using while i figure our what to do about the blackberry, that i dropped in a puddle earlier this year (which incidentally is why i got the blackberry) and it now works fine again after drying out, they just don't make them like they used to?!

Dantoshou 06-27-2011 08:10 AM

Took to the shop the guy broke my memory card and gave me a better one, hes sending the handset away to either be replaced or repaired he said replaced was more likely as it shouldn't have broken like that, find out next week what happens, i just hope the repair team don't fob me off!

Dantoshou 07-01-2011 08:42 AM

just got a phone call saying that its "water damaged under the trackball and is out of warranty, and ill have to pay £132 for a replacement or i can have the handset back, basically i said stuff your 132 and i want the handset back asap."

NJBlackBerry 07-01-2011 02:49 PM

That will teach them a lesson.

juwaack68 07-01-2011 03:09 PM

So.....you would rather pay nothing and have....what, exactly?

DallasFlier 07-15-2011 12:51 PM

So, here's your opening post:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dantoshou (Post 1729361)
8900 Stuck at loading screen after a dip in the pool!

And then you say this?? :oops:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dantoshou (Post 1729760)
i just don't understand how it got so wet

Apparently how it got so wet was from being dipped in the pool - ya think maybe?

No, these devices are not made to be submersed in water - that's your fault, not the BlackBerry's fault! And continuing to use it for calls and texts afterwards likely was the finishing blow.