BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9600 Series Discussion - Tour (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   3G and the 9650 (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=238400)

Rhyalus 10-20-2010 03:08 PM

3G and the 9650

Hello All,

I am using a Bold 9650 from Verizon.

I have the phone set to 1xEV and I see 3G with the BB logo so all is well. I guess I am not too surprised that the data flow is like the old AT&T before 3G, where voice and data can't go at the same time. Is that how it should be?

Is this the same whether I have 1xEV selected or GSM/UTMS? That is, do any of the Verizon phones allow you voice and data at the same time? This is a real drag since I travel and often talk on the phone while I navigate with GPS on the phone.

Thanks,
R

penguin3107 10-20-2010 03:13 PM

Verizon's network currently does not support simultaneous voice & data. (Unless you're using WiFi for data.)
It's not a device limitation.. it's a network limitation.

Rhyalus 10-20-2010 03:18 PM

Thanks for the quick reply.... interesting that this is not in the commercials. :-)

Do you know off hand if Verizon ever talks about this and adding this functionality?

Regards,
R

jsconyers 10-20-2010 03:29 PM

Yes, when they launch LTE. Rumored by the end of the year. Should have devices out by early next year. Your 9650 won't be able to use the LTE network.

Rhyalus 10-20-2010 03:44 PM

OK - cool - I read up at the LTE innovation center (I am assuming that LTE is the same as 4G).

So I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. Lousy coverage and bandwidth being sucked up by Apple products (AT&T), and better coverage with limited functionality (Verizon).

I guess I need to read up on other vendors. Is there anyone that gives the best of both worlds? :-)

R

Dubdub 10-20-2010 04:02 PM

I have never seen where simultaneous voice and data is that big of an issue or problem. Just depends on how you use it and need it I guess.

Rhyalus 10-20-2010 05:02 PM

Yup - I travel a lot and use my GPS on the phone with turn by turn directions... if you get on a call, you can get lost. My wife always seems to call me when I am about to make a critical turn.... :-)

The other problem is no email or text messages while on the phone.

I rejoiced when I upgraded from an old 8820 to the 3G Curve with AT&T! This is a sad moment to go back in time. On the other hand, just GETTING a signal with Verizon is more important than simultaneous data and voice for now, I guess.

R

MidnightDraven 10-20-2010 05:21 PM

text messages go over the same network as voice, they are not data, so you should be recieving them when on a call.

rambo47 10-22-2010 12:56 PM

Simultaneous voice and data was a useful feature for me when I was with AT&T. I could receive emails from folks while I was talking to them on the phone, open an attachment, and discuss it with them.

The downside was AT&T's network, particularly data speeds. Now that I'm with Sprint I occasionally miss getting emails while on phone calls, but it's only a minor annoyance. Looks like I'll be buying yet another BB when when one comes out to support WiMax or LTE, whatever Sprint finally settles on. Current BlackBerrys won't support LTE when Verizon launches it.