BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Carrier Specific Issues (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=131)
-   -   Cancel Data Plan on Blackberry on Verizon (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=243303)

snedeks937 01-13-2011 02:50 PM

Cancel Data Plan on Blackberry on Verizon

My verizon contract just ended and I do not want to purchase a new phone, but I just started saving money for a wedding and money is very tight so I want to cancel my data plan on my blackberry but continue using the blackberry for calls and sms. Would I be able to cancel just the data portion of the plan or would I be better off signing up for a 2 year plan with a non data phone? Eventually I would like to pick up the data plan again and hopefully a new blackberry down the road.

Thanks!

penguin3107 01-13-2011 02:57 PM

Re: Cancel Data Plan on Blackberry on Verizon

You can't cancel the data plan on Verizon if you have a smartphone.

Dubdub 01-13-2011 04:08 PM

If you cancel it, they will ad d it back again during one of their routine ESN sweeps. Their policy is every smartphone must have the appropriate data plan.

pshift 01-13-2011 04:12 PM

Not true. If your contract is up, call Customer Service and they will cancel it for you. Be warned that your BB will be on a per-MB plan and as we all know, BB's eat data when we think that they are not doing so.

You might be better going to another smartphone.

penguin3107 01-13-2011 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pshift (Post 1693557)
Not true. If your contract is up, call Customer Service and they will cancel it for you.

No, not with Verizon.
It's not possible to remove the data plan from a BlackBerry device.
Verizon's own provisioning system will disallow it. If the ESN or MEID is a BlackBerry Device, then the data plan is a requirement.

penguin3107 01-13-2011 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubdub (Post 1693556)
If you cancel it, they will ad d it back again during one of their routine ESN sweeps. Their policy is every smartphone must have the appropriate data plan.

Verizon doesn't do ESN sweeps. The data plan provisioning is in real time. An active smartphone will automatically be provisioned with the proper data plan.

Dubdub 01-13-2011 04:32 PM

pshift, sorry to pop your bubble, but not being on a contract generally has nothing to do with it.

However, I know some people, not all, who have been able to talk their way out of it using that as their defense. I think it depends upon how friendly and knowledgeable the CSR is.

Dubdub 01-13-2011 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguin3107 (Post 1693564)
Verizon doesn't do ESN sweeps. The data plan provisioning is in real time. An active smartphone will automatically be provisioned with the proper data plan.

I have always been told that both VZW and AT&T do scans. I know AT&T does. But if they do not, how does the plan get added after the fact as it has been for some users?

penguin3107 01-13-2011 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubdub (Post 1693566)
I have always been told that both VZW and AT&T do scans. I know AT&T does. But if they do not, how does the plan get added after the fact as it has been for some users?

It doesn't get added after the fact. With Verizon, as soon as the ESN/MEID of a smartphone is activated, the data plan is provisioned. It happens immediately.

AT&T will do IMEI sweeps periodically. Different than Verizon.

Wuzzer 01-17-2011 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguin3107 (Post 1693567)
It doesn't get added after the fact. With Verizon, as soon as the ESN/MEID of a smartphone is activated, the data plan is provisioned. It happens immediately.

AT&T will do IMEI sweeps periodically. Different than Verizon.

Essentially, with Verizon, when the CSR wants to submit the application to remove data, the system will lock him out saying that they cannot continue without the required data plan. It's impossible to proceed in adding ANY smartphone without that data plan. You could always downgrade to the $15 150mb data plan to save a lil money though.