BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General PlayBook Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   PlayBook Suddenly Requests POP password (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=261511)

SouthShoreUser 09-14-2012 01:05 PM

PlayBook Suddenly Requests POP password

Hello everyone,

I've been using the PlayBook's native email ever since I downloaded OS 2 shortly after it became available earlier this year. I'd never had any issues until yesterday.

Yesterday morning, I was receiving email properly but after a while I noticed the emails weren't displaying in the right hand pane. I assumed this was because of a bad wifi connection (I was on a charter bus).

I then didn't use the playbook for a number of hours and turned it off altogether.

When I turned it back on, upon booting up, a pop up box requested that I enter my Sympatico.ca POP password.

I tried to access Sympatico/Bell mail through mobile Hotmail and to my surprise, I had the same pop up box. I was able to logout of hotmail and then attempted to log onto a hotmail account. I couldn't log in at all.

Anybody else experience these issues? Can it be related to the changes at hotmail last week (I had to log into Outlook.com to properly see my mail on my home computer)?

Dubdub 09-14-2012 01:48 PM

Re: PlayBook Suddenly Requests POP password

Moved to the proper section.

NJBlackBerry 09-14-2012 02:08 PM

Did you upgrade it recently?

SouthShoreUser 09-14-2012 02:55 PM

Thanks NJ.

There was an automatic update possibly about a month ago. That update affected a Mahjong game (won't load unless connected to Wifi) and the Kobo app (book won't load unless connected to wifi), but there were no email issues until yesterday.

daphne 09-14-2012 07:20 PM

My PlayBook does that once in a while - all of a sudden it will request the password for one of my POP email accounts. I just re-enter the password and then it works fine again - until the next time.

I have read that some people have not been able to get the new outlook.com email accounts set up on the PlayBook. I don't use hotmail or outlook.com so I haven't tried it myself.

hrbuckley 09-14-2012 08:01 PM

I get that problem with my Yahoo account. It happens less often with the 2.1 release but it does still happen occasionally.

SouthShoreUser 09-15-2012 07:25 AM

Thanks for all the replies so far.

The problem is, I fill in my password but it won't take it.

As soon as I have a second, I'll get in touch with Bell Sympatico and see what they say. The problem might be on their end, though this pop up appears as soon as the PB is booted up.

daphne 09-15-2012 02:41 PM

You could try deleting the account and settin it up again, if you haven't already.

aiharkness 09-15-2012 03:13 PM

To add to the above ...

To the OP, it seems you are saying you also had/have trouble logging into your email through webmail using a browser. Did you correct that problem?

Also to the OP, when you know your password is correct and repeated attempts to re-enter the password and save on the PlayBook fail to connect, log in through the browser and then navigate to your settings and look for options dealing with mobile apps and devices. If there, delete all that have BlackBerry in the title and save. Then re-try the PlayBook email app.

To all, I reinstalled the PlayBook OS on mine and for a week or more now I haven't had this issue with my yahoo accounts. It was happening almost everyday with one or the other yahoo account or yahoo-hosted account, but not a single time since. I am back on the earlier 2.0.1.358 OS, but no big deal to me. Just for what it's worth.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

rambo47 09-15-2012 04:50 PM

Very often the prompting for your password is a sign that the email server to which you're trying to connect is down. If a restart of the PlayBook doesn't sort it out you might have to simply wait for the email provider to put the server back online.

dearwing 01-09-2013 06:05 PM

I have had this problem start up just yesterday, but the thing is, my screen is totally frozen and won't let me do anything. I have tried a few hard resets, tried backing up and then restoring the playbook (the blackberry device manager still connects to the playbook) and nothing works. I am willing to do a factory reset but obviously cant since the screen doesn't respond to touch. I want to try to wipe it through the command prompt thing, but when I type in the command it doesn't work. I am not very tech savvy, so I guess I will have to send it in to RIM to be fixed. I have only had the thing since Christmas so this is very annoying.....

Anyone have some easy instructions for me to follow to fix this problem????

aiharkness 01-09-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dearwing (Post 1795934)
I have had this problem start up just yesterday, but the thing is, my screen is totally frozen and won't let me do anything. I have tried a few hard resets, tried backing up and then restoring the playbook (the blackberry device manager still connects to the playbook) and nothing works. I am willing to do a factory reset but obviously cant since the screen doesn't respond to touch. I want to try to wipe it through the command prompt thing, but when I type in the command it doesn't work. I am not very tech savvy, so I guess I will have to send it in to RIM to be fixed. I have only had the thing since Christmas so this is very annoying.....

Anyone have some easy instructions for me to follow to fix this problem????

I don't know what you mean by a hard reset with the PlayBook. Hold the power button until the PlayBook shuts down. Then restart it and see what happens.

You can try a forced OS reinstall. You will lose all data. If you can do a backup with Desktop Manager first, do it. To force the OS reinstall, have the PlayBook connected to Desktop Manager and then reboot it (or in your case, force it to shut down, and then restart it). Desktop Manager will tell you at some point something along the lines of it not being able to communicate with the PlayBook and will give you the option to reload the OS. Select to reinstall the OS and proceed. After the OS is reinstalled and the PlayBook boots, test and see if the problem is fixed.

dearwing 01-09-2013 09:01 PM

Well I tried to do that exactly as you said to do it, but it didn't ask me to reload the OS just to update it. I did that, but the screen won't respond to touch still so I can;t go through all the steps to get it going. Now it is frozen on the screen that you pick your language! Seems to me the whole problem is the blackberry itself, and it isn't just a software glitch. I have an incident # now and will be sending it in to RIM. thanks for your help

aiharkness 01-10-2013 08:43 AM

Update, reload, reinstall...the word isn't so important here. Did the action result in you being presented with the initial setup screen, as if the device were new? Did the process take a while, did you see the computer downloading the OS components and tell you it was updating the software?

If the answer to the above is yes, then you accomplished what I suggested, and I believe you ruled out corrupt software. Your next step is correct if getting it repaired is your goal.