BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   BES Admin Corner (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Daylight Savings patch deploying wireless from BES - different versions of device OS (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=120449)

elwynw 03-02-2008 10:02 PM

Daylight Savings patch deploying wireless from BES - different versions of device OS

Hi all,

we have a BES that we need to deploy the DST patch from wirelessly to all our devices. Problem is, we have 50/50 devices running V4.1 and v4.2.
When I try to add the two versions of the devices to the BES, it complains because it reports there are multiple versions of the patch, and we need to only use one. How can we deploy the two versions of the patch - is there a way of fooling the BES that the different versions are named differently?

penguin3107 03-03-2008 06:52 AM

There is only one version of the DST patch that works for all handheld OS versions.
More importantly...
Why are you trying to deploy two different version of the DST patch, and how come it's not on your devices already? The DST patch was needed a year ago.

fadmin 03-03-2008 09:12 AM

Devices with OS 4.1.0.377 and up DST is built into it. Don't need to patch.

chubby_nubby 03-03-2008 09:57 AM

Did someone bring up DST .. what a headache last year . .LOL

...Chubbs

Frank Castle 03-03-2008 10:04 AM

I never got that thing to work via Software config. I just had users go to the website and plug their BB in to load the patch. I think there's still some users without it.

Pain indeed.

elwynw 03-16-2008 05:54 PM

This is Australian specific, sorry should have mentioned. We have a new patch for this year, replacing the old one.
Here's what RIM have responded. not good when i only have one BES for this region. a bit of a headache too.
Thank you for contacting BlackBerry Customer Support.

You are correct - if implementing SP4 or SP5, we still need to deploy the software patch to the devices. What you are experiencing is actually a known issue. The workaround for this is to host the different version on a separate server.

If you require further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us either by replying to this message or by calling us at one of the numbers below.

Thank you again for contacting us.

Have a great day.

elwynw 03-16-2008 06:01 PM

why can't RIM just release the two versions of this patch under different names, so they can be pushed from the same BES? not much thought put into this from them...

d_fisher 03-16-2008 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fadmin (Post 857704)
Devices with OS 4.1.0.377 and up DST is built into it. Don't need to patch.

I wish that was 100% accurate. I had a cistomer just last week who had OS 4.1.0.377 but still experienced calendar issues. Everything showed up in Lotus Notes correct but half were an hour off on his BlackBerry. Installing the DST patch resolved the issues.

RadHaz75 03-17-2008 07:54 AM

just take the opportunity to upgrade the device to 4.2!

whyerd 03-24-2008 12:14 PM

I had this same problem and called RIM. Here's the solution:

Under your applications share create a folder for each patch version.
Extract the patch files to the appropriate folder.
Edit the .alx file for each patch
- edit the application id="net_rim_bb_timezoneupdate_<version>" for each of the two .alx files
reindex the apploader.

You should be able to then create your software configs.

elwynw 03-25-2008 06:32 PM

fantastic. that worked!

darrenlowndes 03-27-2008 12:26 AM

This is a bloody nightmare!

I have an Australian based BES with NZ users too. I just can't seem to get the patch installed on the older 4.1 devices using the wireless software configuration. When you look at the device properties assigned to the user, then look at applications, it shows listed as an application but it just doesn't upload to any devices.

It seems so many Aus\NZ BES admins are having similar issues. Has anyone managed to work around this farce. RIM - pull your head out of your asses!!

ronw44 03-30-2008 08:31 PM

DST Patches

I ahve had no end of problems trying to deploy the NZDST patch. If I do it manually through the desktop it works fine but cannot seem to do same through the BES server. My problem is that there does not seem to be enough information in the log to indicate if the BES server actually tried to push software or now,
I am off to wind up debug mode to see what that gives me

ronw44 03-30-2008 08:33 PM

DST Patch

By teh way I also found that we needed a special hotfix on both the BES server and all the exchange servers to correct appointments, refer Microsoft kb937653

Jagga 03-31-2008 12:04 AM

My god he DST patch all over again! This time with Australians/New Zealanders and now also the Argentinians. Well at my last place of employment, the BES Admin there did a FANTASTIC job! Although still another 72 users were the laggards; with some 40 just manually adjusting the time only to later regret it, and maybe the another 4 that just don't care and go by mental time adjustment hehe. Still its good to learn more & everyday :D

Damn I should be sleeping for a taping tomorrow morning.

Hoagie 04-01-2008 02:12 PM

My next job I'm going to move to Arizona where the average citizen is smart enough to say, "Hey, this far from the equator it gets dark/light earlier/later in the day." They don't observe DST. Just another thing I like about that state. I'll have to make sure this new job only has employees based in Arizona of course.