BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9000 Series Discussion - Bold (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   WiFi Problem (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=186645)

dajawu 04-19-2009 02:11 PM

WiFi Problem

Hey everyone. I just got a brand new Blackberry Bold on the ATT network. I got it for a bunch of reasons but one feature I really was looking for was WiFi. You see at my work I get no reception but I have access to the WiFi. I read online that I can make calls through the WiFi yet it doesn't seem to work. I connect to it fine both at work and at home and I can surf the web and text message but I can't seem to make or recieve calls. I turned off the radio and turned on the wifi at my house to test it and everytime I try to call it says to turn on the radio. I really need this feature to work at my work due to the lack of signal!

Al

dc/dc 04-19-2009 02:26 PM

You cannot make calls over the Bold's WiFi radio. It does not support UMA.

obentou 04-19-2009 02:29 PM

You'll probably be better off with the Javelin 8900 since that has UMA.

dc/dc 04-19-2009 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obentou (Post 1358154)
You'll probably be better off with the Javelin 8900 since that has UMA.

That won't make a difference on at&t as at&t does not support UMA.

dajawu 04-19-2009 02:42 PM

That sucks everything I read said I could do it. This is from the Blackberry site under wifi support for the Bold:

GSM/GPRS/EDGE/UMTS networks let you maintain a virtual connection to the wireless network for data services. GPRS (General Packet Radio Service), EDGE (Enhanced Data rates for Global Evolution) and UMTS (Universal Mobile Telecommunications System) are packet-switched networks, designed for wide-area data communication, while GSM (Global System for Mobile Communications) offers high quality mobile voice services. UMTS, also known as 3GSM, offers simultaneous voice and data functionality, and supports higher download speeds. GSM/GPRS/EDGE networks are operated by AT&T and T-Mobile® in the United States, and by Rogersxxx8482; Wireless in Canada

dc/dc 04-19-2009 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dajawu (Post 1358162)
That sucks everything I read said I could do it. This is from the Blackberry site under wifi support for the Bold:

GSM/GPRS/EDGE/UMTS networks let you maintain a virtual connection to the wireless network for data services. GPRS (General Packet Radio Service), EDGE (Enhanced Data rates for Global Evolution) and UMTS (Universal Mobile Telecommunications System) are packet-switched networks, designed for wide-area data communication, while GSM (Global System for Mobile Communications) offers high quality mobile voice services. UMTS, also known as 3GSM, offers simultaneous voice and data functionality, and supports higher download speeds. GSM/GPRS/EDGE networks are operated by AT&T and T-Mobile® in the United States, and by Rogers™ Wireless in Canada

That doesn't mention anything about WiFi.

Anyway, you were misinformed. You cannot make voice calls over the WiFi radio in the Bold regardless of the carrier whose SIM card is in the phone. Further, if you get a handset that does support voice calls over WiFi like the 8900, you will still won't be able to make use of that feature with an at&t SIM card.

dajawu 04-19-2009 02:50 PM

Damn friggen Tmobile would have got my contract but they said I had to wait 62 days for them to run my credit report and I just couldn't wait that long!!! Ohh well guess next time I will go with them.

dc/dc 04-19-2009 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dajawu (Post 1358165)
Damn friggen Tmobile would have got my contract but they said I had to wait 62 days for them to run my credit report and I just couldn't wait that long!!! Ohh well guess next time I will go with them.

62 day wait to run your credit?!? That doesn't seem right. They've always run mine right in the store.

dajawu 04-19-2009 02:55 PM

Here is the story that goes with that one. So I ordered an 8900 from wirefly and got denied. I called Tmobile and asked them what the deal was. Aparently I had owed them 42 dollors from a few years back that I didn't know about. I paid it right away and they said that I would now be eligable for a new account. So I went through Wirefly again but still got denied. After talking to tmobile again they said the problem was the first time they ran my credit report was before I paid off the bill, now that it is paid off they would have to run my credit again which they couldn't do for another 62 days!!! So I went with ATT and the Bold.

dc/dc 04-19-2009 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dajawu (Post 1358168)
Here is the story that goes with that one. So I ordered an 8900 from wirefly and got denied. I called Tmobile and asked them what the deal was. Aparently I had owed them 42 dollors from a few years back that I didn't know about. I paid it right away and they said that I would now be eligable for a new account. So I went through Wirefly again but still got denied. After talking to tmobile again they said the problem was the first time they ran my credit report was before I paid off the bill, now that it is paid off they would have to run my credit again which they couldn't do for another 62 days!!! So I went with ATT and the Bold.

Gotcha.

sheitan 04-21-2009 08:04 AM

t-mo r so lame sometimes ...

NJBlackBerry 04-21-2009 08:22 AM

User post r also so lame 2.