BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   RIM Software (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Can You Easily Swap out 4.0? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=572)

guinda35 09-17-2004 01:07 PM

Can You Easily Swap out 4.0?

I'm on the verge of buying a 72xx Berry. Should I wait until the 4.0 comes out and get it with the device? Or should I get the device now with the 3.8 system and swap it out? Any difference?

kirson 09-17-2004 01:20 PM

If you get it now, it will be 3.7, not 3.8 -- I think 3.8 will first hit when the Charm is released. As far as waiting -- it could be a long wait. We keep hearing Q4, but Q4 is a big chunk of time :)

And it's a piece of cake to upgrade to a newer OS -- don't wait on the OS, but do consider waiting for the new devices (7100t or 7290) -- much harder to swap out hardware :)

guinda35 09-17-2004 01:36 PM

Could you be more specific as to why one would wait for the 7290 (I'm not interested in the 7100t)? And do you have any idea when Horizon would put it out? Finally, will it be GSM?

kirson 09-17-2004 01:39 PM

7290 will be quad band (GSM), have blue tooth, and, I believe, the newer screen technology (not everyone LIKES the newer screen technology). Not huge, but worth a bit of a wait. Also, even if you DON'T want the 7290, I have to believe the price of the 7230 will go way down when th 7290 hits the market.

Horizon? What's Horizon?

guinda35 09-17-2004 09:36 PM

Sorry, I meant Verizon. When do you expect Verizon will roll out the 7290?

guinda35 09-18-2004 12:46 AM

Actually, it isn't Verizon who will use the 7290. Do you know who will?

finch 09-18-2004 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guinda35
Actually, it isn't Verizon who will use the 7290. Do you know who will?

You'll see the BB 7290 supported by ATT/Cingular/TMo/Rogers/Vodafone to begin with.

guinda35 09-18-2004 11:36 AM

I read someone on this site say he didn't expect Tmobile to sell the 7290 because they'll be busy with the Charm. I'm thinking of going with a 7230 at Tmobile, upgrading to a 7290 when it comes out, and handing down the 7230 to a member of our straff? Do you think that I should go with ATT or Cingular instead to maintain my flexibility to upgrade to the 7290? Do you see any problems with my going with a 72xx now, upgrading to a 7290 when it comes out, and handing down but still using the 7230?

Gothalyptic 09-20-2004 07:16 PM

At this point, it doesn't matter cingular or ATT, come november it will be the same company when the papers are signed. Then there will be a 6 month aquisition period, July next year AT&T Wireless will be no more, your bill will say cingular. As for signing up right now with either is up to you. Again come July they will be the same company, same billing, same plans etc. As of now AT&T and cingular have the exact same plans, with a very few minor exceptions (such as roll-over).

spchamp1 09-21-2004 03:42 AM

AT&T Wireless and Cingular will be the same company within weeks. I have heard that this will most likely happen by the second week of October. I work for AT&T Wireless at a corporate owned retail store, and we are already starting to see the little changes. All the stores in my district have gone through a "refresh," which implements alot of the colors you see in a Cingular print ad. Of course there is the Orange, but they also have green and the existing AT&T blue. The packaging the phones are coming in are starting to be manufacturer boxes, not AT&T branded boxes. If you have ever bought an AT&T phone you know what I mean, and finally the majority of the shipments of phones we are receiving are no longer coming with the headsets. Cingular has never given headsets as long as I can remember. Once this acquisition takes place AT&T & Cingular will be offering the same equipment, and plans, by after the official paperwork goes through. They are telling us that consolidating the billing systems can take up to 2 years. So those of you on AT&T Wireless right now will continue to be on the billing system that we currently use (Siebel, piece of shit!!), but the name change may go through alot sooner. So last point is.......It's closer than you think.