BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9000 Series Discussion - Bold (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   BlackBerry AppWorld is now really Worldwide (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=199886)

kirrinjones 08-05-2009 10:27 AM

BlackBerry AppWorld is now really Worldwide

Ok, apologies if this has already been posted or known.

Thanks to an excellent article from our friends over at BlackBerry Cool | The voice of the BlackBerry community, you can now install the BlackBerry AppWorld application on your 8900 and 9000 device and have it work no matter which country you're in. I tested it yesterday and was able to install, browse and download with no issues whatsoever.

They say that the method only works for the 8900 and 9000, however, I've seen posts in the comments section about it working on 81xx and 83xx as well I believe. I am planning to try it out on a 88xx soon and post back.

I did not copy the files into the directory they were recommending, I just loaded them from the location I unzipped the files. Also, I did not have to do a battery pull or a soft reboot to get it working.

Here's the link with all the instructions and files you'll need, Download free apps from BlackBerry App World from any country | BlackBerry Cool

Let us know how it works for you and on what device.

jacobsaa 08-05-2009 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirrinjones (Post 1445467)
Ok, apologies if this has already been posted or known.

Thanks to an excellent article from our friends over at BlackBerry Cool | The voice of the BlackBerry community, you can now install the BlackBerry AppWorld application on your 8900 and 9000 device and have it work no matter which country you're in. I tested it yesterday and was able to install, browse and download with no issues whatsoever.

They say that the method only works for the 8900 and 9000, however, I've seen posts in the comments section about it working on 81xx and 83xx as well I believe. I am planning to try it out on a 88xx soon and post back.

I did not copy the files into the directory they were recommending, I just loaded them from the location I unzipped the files. Also, I did not have to do a battery pull or a soft reboot to get it working.

Here's the link with all the instructions and files you'll need, Download free apps from BlackBerry App World from any country | BlackBerry Cool

Let us know how it works for you and on what device.

(y)

MidnightDraven 08-05-2009 10:50 AM

Officially:
Meanwhile, BlackBerry users in Ireland, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Austria, Luxembourg, Netherlands, and Portugal will be joining in App World today.

But someone posted from Egypt saying he couldn't get it working.
I would say its a glitch....

kirrinjones 08-05-2009 02:26 PM

Ok, just got around to it and am please to announce that the method also works quite well on the 88xx series (8820 to be exact). Its rather fast too on that unit.

sabelt 08-06-2009 01:01 PM

it works but not working for PAID APPLICATIONS....

Telco: maxis, malaysia

omegadan 09-03-2009 01:14 PM

Thanks for the info...

nor246 09-05-2009 07:41 AM

Is there a special setting for the BB Bold, when I try to download BB Appworld I get the following message, "Sorry, your device does not meet the system requirements that are needed to support Blackberry App World" Any advise would be appreciated.

anameli 09-05-2009 01:04 PM

Is there an OTA link somewhere?

anameli 09-05-2009 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anameli (Post 1465887)

Never mind, it's not available for Panama.

kras 09-06-2009 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nor246 (Post 1465763)
Is there a special setting for the BB Bold, when I try to download BB Appworld I get the following message, "Sorry, your device does not meet the system requirements that are needed to support Blackberry App World" Any advise would be appreciated.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it looks at both the Vendor ID of your device, *plus* the network on which the BIS service is running on.

I've had one or two friends who've managed to download App World from a unlisted country (that is, one that doesn't have App World opened to them *yet*) - and it boggles the mind to think why one device can, and another device can't when they are running on the same network... :-o

Quote:

Originally Posted by anameli (Post 1465887)

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be an OTA link around... but the installation procedure based on the first message in this thread is pretty straight-forward and painless.

MidnightDraven 09-06-2009 05:27 AM

you go to
BlackBerry App World
from your BB browser to download...
thats the OTA link.

juancasacr 09-07-2009 05:54 PM

I was able to install in my 8900 but when trying to use it, it only appears a screen that states:
"Invalid signature in response from Blackberry App World. Blackberry App World must now exit."
Somebody knows what is this?? I am in Costa Rica.

MidnightDraven 09-07-2009 06:03 PM

try a battery pull.
if it doesnt fix it, its not available in your country yet.

juancasacr 09-07-2009 06:06 PM

At first it didnt even connect, then I pulled off the battery and when I retried that was the message. So I dont think the suggestion would do any better. Any other suggestion? It is supposed to work worldwide, isnt it?

CoDudette 09-08-2009 04:13 AM

tried, tested and failed :(

MidnightDraven 09-08-2009 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juancasacr (Post 1467073)
At first it didnt even connect, then I pulled off the battery and when I retried that was the message. So I dont think the suggestion would do any better. Any other suggestion? It is supposed to work worldwide, isnt it?

No, its not.
The day they released the updated version, some people in countries not supported, managed to get it working.
It is NOT supported worldwide.

kirrinjones 09-08-2009 08:57 AM

If you have followed the instructions in the original posting, most people got it working. Since then, RIM has allowed the Caribbean to be able to install the App World from the Non-BlackBerry Page! website. The Caribbean countries that can install it directly are in this article link BlackBerry App World Available In The Caribbean « Kirrin Jones.

If you're not in the list of Caribbean countries (which is very small) and the procedure in the original posting doesn't work for you, then you might not be able to get it going on your device.

Note that it does not allow you to access PAID applications, only FREE.

nor246 09-09-2009 05:46 AM

Appworld need Blackberry Browser, but if you are on BIS, I do not think this available. Is there any work around for this? Using the BB website you get the message, "sorry, your device does not meet the system requirements that are needed to support Blackberry App World."

MidnightDraven 09-09-2009 06:20 AM

I am on BIS
I dont have "blackberry" browser (as opposed to INternet browser etc)
And I have app world.
Thats because my country AND my carrier support it.

nor246 09-10-2009 05:30 AM

Then I think the problem is the OS, I am using OS 5.0.0.190 on the Bold. Guess I will have to wait for the fix.