BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 8100 Series Discussion - Pearl (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Mic not working... (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=54952)

FijiParisi 11-19-2006 06:50 PM

Mic not working...

This is the 2nd pearl this has happened to, but unfortunately this one isnt under warranty.

I got my first pearl at the end of Sept. and lived happily ever after UNTIL i dropped it for the FIRST TIME... the mic stopped working and people calling me or people i called couldnt hear what i was saying but they could hear me pushing buttons.

So, naturally, i called Tmo and complained that it wasnt working and they sent me a new one right away (in fact it was there the next day)

3 days later at my fraternity party a brother of mine pushed me into the pool... blackberry and digi cam in tow. The phone and cam both stopped working for a week or so and then started working again after they dried out. The brother is paying for the phone anyway since it is out of warranty anyway now that the water sensor has been tripped.

Well i had been using it, but i dropped it 2 nights ago and the same thing happened. no Mic. so since it is under warranty i am going to try to fix it myself so that i can use it still - because i figure why buy a new one if i can use this one.

ive got the tools to take it apart but what do you suggest i do to try and fix it? look for broken contacts? disconnected mic wires? i have the skill and supplies to solder (i mod xboxs) help me..

FijiParisi 11-19-2006 10:33 PM

took it apart following the instructions...

basically here is what happened if this happens to anyone else: the mic is only connected to the "motherboard" with a few little connections - none of which are soldered. they just lay against the board from the mic. I took it apart, wiped it with my finger and made sure to lay it back on there so the contacts were touching....

VIOLA! when i put it back together it worked perfectly...

blakeatl 11-21-2006 08:25 PM

I'd like to see a picture of your abused Pearl.

John Clark 11-21-2006 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FijiParisi
took it apart following the instructions...

basically here is what happened if this happens to anyone else: the mic is only connected to the "motherboard" with a few little connections - none of which are soldered. they just lay against the board from the mic. I took it apart, wiped it with my finger and made sure to lay it back on there so the contacts were touching....

VIOLA! when i put it back together it worked perfectly...

Good to know. Thanks!!!

FijiParisi 11-21-2006 09:25 PM

sure... lemme see what i can do... you want inside or outside pics?

2Curious 01-20-2007 12:20 PM

8100 Mic Repair / Fix

Quote:

Originally Posted by FijiParisi
sure... lemme see what i can do... you want inside or outside pics?

Anyone ever get pics of this fix? Close-up pic of the mic contacts would be great. Just want to be sure I'm clear before I start the project.

Boyfriend's brand new Pearl, never dropped, mic stopped working today.
Only 28-days since we got it. Past the 14-day period for TMo.
Just want to review alternative options for repair, before I start the "please replace it" conversation with support.