BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General BlackBerry Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Blackberry desktop redirector issues (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=172386)

zhanghong 01-24-2009 08:12 PM

Blackberry desktop redirector issues

2 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone, I'm happy to find this website full of enthusiasts and experts, anyhow here goes my first question: how do I setup a functional desktop redirector?
=============
my setup:
Handset : Blackberry 8330 from Verizon
Desktop: Windows vista home premium with SP1 with Ourlook 2007 (tried 2003 too).

Having had this phone for about two weeks, and found it to be a great fun to use. However I have had some problems in making Blackberry Desktop Redirector to work.

Our company uses Microsoft Exchange messaging system, I installed the most up to date Blackberry Desktop Manager to my PC. Everything is correctly configured on Desktop Manager as far as synchronization is concerned (I spent about 2 hours going through all the settings with a senior tech support guy from Verizon, and in the end he couldn't explain why it didn't work).

Long story short, my desktop manager can communicate with my phone without any problem, but on the Blackberry Desktop Redirector the status stuck at "Verifying forwarding address" forever.

I did notice that when I click on the "Synchronize->Synchronize" button my phone screen briefly displayed "connected to desktop" then went away.

For only once I got an error "could not start the redirector: the connection to your messaging system could not be initiated.", most of time I don't see any indication on what's going on and what's wrong.

Btw since I had the desktop software running on my office machine, I got tons of messages in my mailbox (see attached). It seems to me that the Desktop Manager was trying to send something to my personal mailbox, but I don't understand how it has anything to do with the Desktop Redirector, moreover to my device.

I did some search but didn't quite understand how the whole things work from end to end. I hope someone can give me some highlights, as well as some troubleshooting tips.

Regards,

Hong

ag4vr 01-24-2009 09:11 PM

The Blackberry Internet Service (BIS) will support Exchange. I used Desktop Redirector before but found that it didn't forward attachments to my Blackberry. If your Exchange server supports the IMAP protocol (used by iPhones, etc.) or Outlook Web Access, you should be able to use BIS to push your e-mail, along with attachments.

Good luck.
Dan

NJBlackBerry 01-24-2009 09:27 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if Desktop Redirector doesn't work properly with Vista. Redirector is a very old program and hasn't been updated in years.

Dubdub 01-24-2009 10:30 PM

I would also recommend using BIS rather than Redirector.