BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9800 Series Discussion - Torch (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Pesky Lock Button (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=233492)

dz8 08-15-2010 04:52 PM

Pesky Lock Button

Alright as most of the reviewers have noted, that Lock button is getting REALLY annoying. :x You honestly cannot put this phone in your pocket and have it not unlock itself.

I hope a patch to BB6 puts in a slide to unlock feature because without it, that Lock button is a true disaster in usability. Their QA must have only tested it with a holster.. you know the holster they did not include with the phone.

Dubdub 08-15-2010 06:10 PM

BTW, no holster is/was an AT&T decision, not RIM.

rdef 08-15-2010 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dz8 (Post 1641824)
Alright as most of the reviewers have noted, that Lock button is getting REALLY annoying. :x You honestly cannot put this phone in your pocket and have it not unlock itself.

I hope a patch to BB6 puts in a slide to unlock feature because without it, that Lock button is a true disaster in usability. Their QA must have only tested it with a holster.. you know the holster they did not include with the phone.

Great idea of having a slide lock...

Tom 08-15-2010 10:27 PM

I don't think they would do a slide lock, it's to iPhone, and they are trying to stay away from that.

I just use a password lock and it solves the problem with the lock button.

dz8 08-15-2010 10:39 PM

Password lock works too ;) but then you have to shortcut the Password Lock or use the one programmable physical button we have. You can't tie it to the regular Lock button or maybe I haven't figured out how that's done?

Tom 08-15-2010 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dz8 (Post 1641958)
Password lock works too ;) but then you have to shortcut the Password Lock or use the one programmable physical button we have. You can't tie it to the regular Lock button or maybe I haven't figured out how that's done?

No.. you can't tie it. It seems password lock only works based off of its timer, and not the lock button (Or by pressing and holding A like with OS 5)

This is definitely a bug that needs to be fixed in a future release. Annoying.

rdef 08-15-2010 11:49 PM

FYI, the K key on the keyboard locks it, like on the older OSs. Yeah.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

forefun 08-16-2010 08:56 AM

not on my Torch it doesn't. "K" doesn't lock it. Be great if the convenience key was maybe just a little more convenient, and let you assign the password lock to that. the top screen lock is useless.

rdef 08-16-2010 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forefun (Post 1642131)
not on my Torch it doesn't. "K" doesn't lock it. Be great if the convenience key was maybe just a little more convenient, and let you assign the password lock to that. the top screen lock is useless.

It does. Just make sure the option "Launch by Type" is set to "Application Shortcuts" and not "Universal Search".

palomartian 08-16-2010 10:37 AM

Layer tape over the button until it's desensitized enough to be useful.

Tom 08-16-2010 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdef (Post 1641980)
FYI, the K key on the keyboard locks it, like on the older OSs. Yeah.

Mine does not do this either.

the-economist 08-16-2010 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubdub (Post 1641856)
BTW, no holster is/was an AT&T decision, not RIM.

Any reference on that for confirmation? I can understand AT&T being directly involved in any feature rollout decision that directly involves the network and the infrastructure (eg voip), but a case?!

"Hi Apple, we're ATT, you can't have VOIP over our network" makes sense.
"Hi Apple, we're ATT, you can't offer a pair of headphones or a charger or a case over our network" sounds ridiculous to me.

Please explain, thx.

rdef 08-20-2010 10:14 PM

Just installed PatternLock Lite. It's free and completely solves this problem.

hmong 08-20-2010 11:51 PM

rdef, Great Fix! Thanks!

aamato 08-21-2010 01:34 PM

Excellent recommendation - after trying the lite version I went with the full version. Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdef (Post 1644563)
Just installed PatternLock Lite. It's free and completely solves this problem.

palomartian 08-22-2010 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the-economist (Post 1642260)
Any reference on that for confirmation? I can understand AT&T being directly involved in any feature rollout decision that directly involves the network and the infrastructure (eg voip), but a case?!

"Hi Apple, we're ATT, you can't have VOIP over our network" makes sense.
"Hi Apple, we're ATT, you can't offer a pair of headphones or a charger or a case over our network" sounds ridiculous to me.

Please explain, thx.

ATT buys phones and related bits from RIM. ATT sells phones and related bits to consumers. What ATT buys and what ATT sells is up to ATT, not RIM. Does that help?

beartraprr 08-25-2010 10:10 AM

Its annoying, so annoying that I think I am going to return the phone before the 30 day trial is up. Even if I use the PW lock, its locks yes but hitting that button in my pocket it keeps beeping at me, VERY ANNOYING. Also, being a leftie when I go to take a picture the way I hold the phone I hit that damn lock button and lock the phone accidentally losing the now gone picture I was trying to get. WHATS WITH THAT BUTTON

islandguy 08-25-2010 05:24 PM

I just got an Otterbox case which solved this problem for me. (great case btw but I wish it had the textured feel of the original Torch battery cover)

MrKyoo 08-29-2010 09:50 AM

Another vote for PatternLock. You can even "Assign to hardware lock key."

wayn0 10-06-2010 05:34 AM

patternLock lite

Got to say, I was 1 day away from returning this phone, but patternlock lite makes the phone useable on an everyday basis. I tried the password protect but that's a pain, the phone doesnt ship with a holster in the UK ( never used the holster on my curve) but I can not for the life of me work out why the designers of this phone would install such a crappy lock button..