BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 8900 Series Discussion - Javelin (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   slacker vs Pandora vs iHeart? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=184636)

fight4yu 04-05-2009 10:12 PM

Wirelessly posted (8900)

Have heard about those 3 radio stations on 8900. Wondering the diff (is it the song selection?)or what else, and what recommendation people have? I have used pandora in my pc and seems pretty good. Have not try slacker yet, but heard people said it is solid on 8900 and can "save" songs. IHeart - don't know much but some posts said there are problems recently... Comments?

stricni 04-05-2009 10:16 PM

i have had slacker and i heart radio. i like i heat radio much better. i have not tried the Pandora.

lethalphoenix 04-05-2009 10:18 PM

pandora rocks

fight4yu 04-05-2009 10:21 PM

Wirelessly posted (8900)

Thx. Can you guys also give your reason for support? Is it the music selection, interface, features, whatever?

Doctor A 04-05-2009 11:27 PM

I cannot get Pandora to work on T-Mobile 8900. Get error message and when I try to register never finishes.

DacyJ 04-05-2009 11:39 PM

Wirelessly posted (Hey I'm cool…)

1)iheartradio

2)FlyCast

3)Pandora

That's the list in order from awesome'nes to cool. iheartradio is awesome because its a clear channel application meaning you get a lot of clearchannel stations just like you would via your PC. Flycast is cool because they have loveline, and Pandora has track style songs that group other bands that fit the band you set first.

WayneHardy 04-06-2009 03:49 AM

Which has the most UK stations on it?? Cos, no, offence, not interested in US stations!

Spovik 04-06-2009 07:22 AM

For me:
1. Pandora
2. FlyCast
3. I heart Radio

I have been a Pandora user for a long time and enjoy learning about new bands so my allegiance is still with pandora. FlyCast is good to get the talk stations I like to listen to since politics in the workplace is frowned upon. And i heart radio I hated the interface and cant seem to pick a station that isn't preset so I rarely use it.

Doctor A, keep trying, I have pandora on my tmo 8900

strike2tamu 04-06-2009 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DacyJ (Post 1343687)
Wirelessly posted (Hey I'm cool…)

1)iheartradio

2)FlyCast

3)Pandora

That's the list in order from awesome'nes to cool. iheartradio is awesome because its a clear channel application meaning you get a lot of clearchannel stations just like you would via your PC. Flycast is cool because they have loveline, and Pandora has track style songs that group other bands that fit the band you set first.

+1, I heart radio is the best on the BB and iPod/iPhone.

akosnitzky 04-06-2009 09:23 AM

I like Pandora the best. Cant get flycast

badandy 04-06-2009 12:27 PM

Slacker radio's programming and caching features are what I like the most about their service.

I listen mostly to the Alternative & Alternative Hard Rock stations. They just have a really good mix of new music, with a few earlier hits mixed in. There is a "Ban" button you can click to permanently ban the song from ever playing again. There is also a Favorites button that will rotate your favorite songs into the mix more frequently than others.

The caching feature lets you pre-load station programming onto your phone when you plug-in to your USB port. The caching program automatically launches and starts downloading music, cover art, and now lyrics (just added). You get to choose which stations you want to cache. Over 125 stations last time I checked. I estimate that around 8 hrs of programming gets cached, per station, so I only sync up once or twice a week for my commute into work.

Negatives - You can't rewind songs with the free version. That's part of the licensing agreement they have with the record companies. Over-the-air broadcasts work real well, but there is a longer pause in between songs when buffering up the next one. That's why I prefer the caching method.

jbum 04-08-2009 05:47 PM

Aside from the song selections from these apps, I like Pandora because the app feel "light" and snappy. Slacker reacts slowly and sluggish at time. Also it appears to hog up the phone when shutting down, etc.

I haven't played around with either enough to know the diff in features.

ChumsGum 04-09-2009 10:20 AM

anyone getting a scratchy noise with slacker? it seems to appear on some songs but not in others. i thought it was due to streaming but even with the cache stations i still get that scratchy noise.

badandy 04-09-2009 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChumsGum (Post 1347439)
anyone getting a scratchy noise with slacker? it seems to appear on some songs but not in others. i thought it was due to streaming but even with the cache stations i still get that scratchy noise.

This has been reported by some users in the Slacker forum, but have not experienced this personally.

341EastOf 04-11-2009 06:19 PM

I think it all depends on what stations you are looking for. I have recently tried exploring a few of these apps to see if I can get my favorite stations. I am currently living in the Arlington/DC area and miss some of my stations in other cities.

-Slacker seems very solid on my 8900 and has some great play lists and categories. I have not tried the caching function yet.

-Nobex Radio companion can stream my favorite Los Angeles station, Jack FM!

-I Heart Radio can play KFYI, an AM station that I like for talk stuff in Phoenix.

-Have not tried Pandora yet.

I will probably keep at least three apps on my 8900 simply because they all play a different station or playlist that I want. It is very very cool that the 8900 has plenty of room for apps and keeping everything is possible.

Good luck checking out your apps.

doppeljr 04-11-2009 10:13 PM

My thoughts based on quality:

1. Pandora - best selection, best streaming quality
2. Flycast - decent selection, annoying commercials, weak streaming, very choppy
3. Slacker - decent selection, poor streaming