BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   iPhone Android & other HandHeld Forum (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Anyone tried to activate an ATT berry SIM in an iPhone? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=83909)

bakos 07-02-2007 01:12 AM

Anyone tried to activate an ATT berry SIM in an iPhone?

Did anyone try to activate an ATT SIM that has a blackberry plan (I am most interested about BIS) in an iPhone? I wonder if that would add the $20 iphone data plan on top of the Blackberry data plan, and allow the SIM to work in both the Blackberry and the iPhone. If that is the case, how are yahoo emails pushed if the same account is registered both on BIS and iPhone?

John Clark 07-02-2007 01:20 AM

I don't think it's known yet if the iphone even has a sim card.

John Clark 07-02-2007 01:20 AM

** Moved to Handheld Forum **

Jack T. Chance 07-02-2007 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Clark (Post 586021)
I don't think it's known yet if the iphone even has a sim card.

And isn't that sad? :?

The iPhone hype began 6 months ago, it went on sale a little over 48 hours ago, and we STILL don't know if it takes a SIM card! :shock:

I would imagine it does, since every other at&t phone does, but you never know, maybe Uncle Steve-o found a way to get rid of the SIM card... which might explain the 10% restocking fee on returns, actually! ;-)

bakos 07-02-2007 01:56 AM

Yes, the iPhone does have a SIM, which you can move to any other ATT or unlocked phone and you get voice, texts and data (I tried it with a friend's iphone). It has also been reported on MacRumors and HowardForums that you can use any non prepaid ATT SIM in the iPhone, but you need to "activate" it (via iTunes), which means that it adds the $20 iphone data plan to whatever ATT plan you had on the SIM. I could find no info on whether the iphone plan is in addition or substitutes for any data plan currently on your account.

What I would like to learn is what happens if you try to add a blackberry data plan to an iPhone SIM or an iphone data plan to a blackberry ATT SIM. If that is possible and the two don't interfere, then the SIM should be usable in both the iPhone and the blackberry. You should get calls and texts in whatever device the SIM is in, email sent to [email address] whenever the SIM goes into the blackberry, and pull email from the iPhone. Now, yahoo reportedly pushes email on the iphone, so I wonder what happens if the same yahoo account is pushed to both the blackberry (via BIS) and to the iphone. I would try all this, but my blackberry is on TMobile...

I didn't originally post in "other devices" section because this is a general ATT Blackberry plan question... I think there used to be a GSM Service providers section, but couldn't find it...

Incidentally, my 3 cents on the iPhone:
1. To my great surprise, the keyboard was a non-issue for me. For all my being used to tactile feedback, the visual feedback provided by the iPhone works. I was typing with two thumbs at 90% of Blackberry speed after 10 min.
2. The iPhone is significantly larger than the Pearl. If you don't need the bigger screen (for web browsing, photos, videos), the Pearl form factor still carries the day for me.
3. For corporate users, the iPhone doesn't come close to BB's security, and thus is unlikely to penetrate that market even after it offers push email, exchange integration etc.

John Clark 07-02-2007 06:59 AM

Interesting.....

Dawg 07-02-2007 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bakos (Post 586041)
Yes, the iPhone does have a SIM, which you can move to any other ATT or unlocked phone and you get voice, texts and data (I tried it with a friend's iphone). It has also been reported on MacRumors and HowardForums that you can use any non prepaid ATT SIM in the iPhone, but you need to "activate" it (via iTunes), which means that it adds the $20 iphone data plan to whatever ATT plan you had on the SIM. I could find no info on whether the iphone plan is in addition or substitutes for any data plan currently on your account.

What I would like to learn is what happens if you try to add a blackberry data plan to an iPhone SIM or an iphone data plan to a blackberry ATT SIM. If that is possible and the two don't interfere, then the SIM should be usable in both the iPhone and the blackberry. You should get calls and texts in whatever device the SIM is in, email sent to [email address] whenever the SIM goes into the blackberry, and pull email from the iPhone. Now, yahoo reportedly pushes email on the iphone, so I wonder what happens if the same yahoo account is pushed to both the blackberry (via BIS) and to the iphone. I would try all this, but my blackberry is on TMobile...

I didn't originally post in "other devices" section because this is a general ATT Blackberry plan question... I think there used to be a GSM Service providers section, but couldn't find it...

Incidentally, my 3 cents on the iPhone:
1. To my great surprise, the keyboard was a non-issue for me. For all my being used to tactile feedback, the visual feedback provided by the iPhone works. I was typing with two thumbs at 90% of Blackberry speed after 10 min.
2. The iPhone is significantly larger than the Pearl. If you don't need the bigger screen (for web browsing, photos, videos), the Pearl form factor still carries the day for me.
3. For corporate users, the iPhone doesn't come close to BB's security, and thus is unlikely to penetrate that market even after it offers push email, exchange integration etc.

every review I have seen including the news reports on my local stations show a non consumer accessible sim card.

test54 07-02-2007 01:14 PM

Gallery: Full Resolution iPhone Interface Shots

This came out before release and has been backed up by people with the phone in hand. Its a sim tray much like a treo and the ipod part of the phone functions without sim.

Also I went and toyed around with one for about 15 min, and the EDGE is not fast enough for the full browser. Also the keypad is very easy to type but there are certain keys i kept missing, the surprise was the software that does corrections is amazing at knowing what you wanted to type. Overall though it would take a long time to get used to typing on it.

PC World - iPhone Stress Tests - scratch and drop test, performs well.

Dawg 07-02-2007 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by test54 (Post 586195)
Gallery: Full Resolution iPhone Interface Shots

This came out before release and has been backed up by people with the phone in hand. Its a sim tray much like a treo and the ipod part of the phone functions without sim.

Also I went and toyed around with one for about 15 min, and the EDGE is not fast enough for the full browser. Also the keypad is very easy to type but there are certain keys i kept missing, the surprise was the software that does corrections is amazing at knowing what you wanted to type. Overall though it would take a long time to get used to typing on it.

PC World - iPhone Stress Tests - scratch and drop test, performs well.

cool thanks for the update

nef 07-02-2007 02:49 PM

It does have a sim card on the top of the phone. It does require a pin to remove it. It deletes whatever bb plan you had and replaces it with the iphone package. At least it did on my account.

bakos 07-02-2007 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nef (Post 586313)
It deletes whatever bb plan you had and replaces it with the iphone package. At least it did on my account.

That sucks... I was hoping an iPhone and a Blackberry could coexist on the same account. Anybody tried to add a blackberry plan after activating their iPhone?