BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Aftermarket Software (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   How To: Backup and Restore All Installed 3rd Party Apps (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=91912)

Knocka 10-11-2008 05:08 PM

I am using Desktop Manager v. 4.6 and this procedure does not seem to work. It refuses to proceed without a New Device PIN. Since I am not actually changing to a new device, I do not have a PIN, other than the PIN of the Source, which it will not accept.

Has anyone figured out a way around this?

EDIT: I just figured it out. The screen where it wanted the new device pin is where you have to stop and go delete the folder named with your PIN. Then simply cancel.

John Clark 10-11-2008 05:30 PM

Wirelessly posted (BB 11020)

It works ok for me. Can you select "none" for the other device pin? DM 4.5 and above are slightly different from my instructions but fundamentally the same.

Knocka 10-11-2008 08:58 PM

I edited my post to say I figured it out. See above.

rcb3 10-25-2008 03:05 AM

it policy

Will this also remove any IT policies that the new bb has on it? I have tried to wipe this thing time and time again but the old IT policy is still there! JL comn wipes the handset clean and I can put my programs back on but the IT policy says no txt so I can't txt or save pictures. When I went to switch devices the power at the house went out for just a second as it was loading the info on to the new device. I am switching from an unlocked tmoblie to an unlocked rogers both 8700s.

Iare Tosevite 10-25-2008 11:39 AM

This is wrong thread - there's a faq site that shows you how to replace policy on your blackberry with a blank one.

If your company policy still is current, keep in mind is that company policy usually states that bypassing policies is grounds for termination.

rtrue012 10-25-2008 07:00 PM

Hey John,

Question?

I did exactly as posted with saving the third party apps. I wiped my 8330. I installed the 4.3 (downgrade). I modified a few things, deleting some voice-dial apps and adding some of the other vendors themes, etc. I installed the OS to my 8330. I restored my personal data. When I go back into AppLoader from the DM 4.6, I browse locating the mypin.axl file, once it recognizes it, I get an error "No additional applications designed for device were found". What would cause this?

Thanks in advance and to this forum, it has helped me in many ways!

UPDATE: I have no idea what happen but, after a few battery pulls and a restart of the PC I went back into DM attempting to load my third party apps manaully and there was all of my third party apps that I was attempting prior to my initial post, I checked the boxes and let it roll. I obviously happy but puzzled. Any idea how that happen?

Thanks again!

nohbdyshero 02-27-2009 03:31 PM

I am using DM 4.7 and Vista and can not find the folder with my pin#

I found my temp and set it to show everything and it is not there...I am leaving the device connection for the new device up then going to windows explorer to find and I am searching hidden folders as well....my TEMP has only 2 folders in it and neither are helpful

Any help?

Well never mind it seems that now the apps are available in the APP Loader after doin first part of Switch Device Wizard automatically seems RIM now does it on its own...sweet! Now my device and desktop are sync'd up!

mckinneycm 02-27-2009 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nohbdyshero (Post 1302074)
I am using DM 4.7 and Vista and can not find the folder with my pin#

I found my temp and set it to show everything and it is not there...I am leaving the device connection for the new device up then going to windows explorer to find and I am searching hidden folders as well....my TEMP has only 2 folders in it and neither are helpful

Any help?

Well never mind it seems that now the apps are available in the APP Loader after doin first part of Switch Device Wizard automatically seems RIM now does it on its own...sweet! Now my device and desktop are sync'd up!

On Vista, the PIN folder is located here:

C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Local\Temp\*PIN*

nohbdyshero 02-27-2009 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mckinneycm (Post 1302091)

that is it! thanks and it seems to stay instead of go away but good to know in case I need it 8-)

----------------
Now playing: The Rolling Stones - Paint It Black
via FoxyTunes

MisterEd 03-01-2009 02:48 PM

When I first got my BB Bold this procedure worked flawlessly. Now (I've been updating the BETA OS's regularly) only 3 of the 9 apps I have loaded are found in the "temp" PIN folder. It seems they may have killed this process off in recent OS updates.

Edit: And the "temp" PIN folder doesn't go away when I exit the Desktop utility.

blackberryme 03-06-2009 02:42 AM

If any one out there know
1. How to import and read the standard MS Word, Excel, PPT and PDF file into BB Storm.
2. How to read them (make it readable) on BB STORM.
3. Editting them on BB STORM.
4. How to install the mobile application software like flaskcard, Garmin GPS into BB STORM. Please help help help.
Thanks in advance.

axl_chan 04-29-2009 07:11 AM

It's really a very very cool way to backup all the 3rd party apps. Thanks, John

giorgosh 05-22-2009 02:19 AM

Is that required when OS upgrading? I think not...

John Clark 05-22-2009 09:15 AM

Wirelessly posted (BB 11020)

Quote:

Originally Posted by giorgosh
Is that required when OS upgrading? I think not...

Then don't use it. But it will save you time downloading all your apps again when an OS upgrade goes wrong. It will happen.

giorgosh 05-22-2009 10:42 AM

I am not 100% sure but after you do firmware upgrade and then backup restoration, isn't your phone at excatly the same state as b4?

jsconyers 05-22-2009 10:46 AM

Yes, if the backup runs smooth. However, if you run into an issue, then you will lose all of your data. That is why it is best to backup your data as well as your 3rd party apps using the steps John outlined above.

Better safe than sorry.

The Sand 05-23-2009 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mckinneycm (Post 1302091)

Thanks for this... because if you are using Vista there is also a folder with your pin on it in:

Username\Appdata\Roaming\RIM\Blackberry\Intellisyn c\Your Pin - which was my problem. I couldn't figure out why it wasn't working until I saw this post. So again, a big thanks!

Sandy

The Sand 05-24-2009 12:11 AM

I did this for one Curve and it went fine. The other Curve I only get a few 3rd Party Apps backed up. Lots of them are missing. I am using the same computer (Vista) and the same DM (4.7) that worked perfectly for the first Curve. Any suggestions why it’s not backing everything up on the second Curve? Both Curves have 4.5 OS.

Thanks,
Sandy

The Sand 05-24-2009 06:48 PM

I backed up all the apps from the other Curve on another computer and it worked fine. Not sure what that ultimately means... why one computer did fine on one Curve but not the other. I have ceased a long time ago to try and figure out why software and/or computers do what they do.

Just glad it's done and if I have to do one Curve from one computer and the other Curve from another one - that's okay. Gratefully moving along now...

Thanks for these instructions...

Sandy

The Sand 06-21-2009 03:28 PM

This option no longer works...

I have DM 4.7 with the latest update and now backing up the 3rd party apps no longer works. I get a fatal error and then Windows says, "Handheld Application Loader Wizard has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you when a solution is found." This same error happened on all 3 Vista computers in the home. I had to use the XP to backup my apps. The XP is old so I don't want to rely on that computer to get this done.

Hoping someone here can figure out why this happened and a workaround for backing up the apps as this is a HUGE plus saving LOADS of time when going to a new device - or for restoring.

Please let us know if you find some kind of solution - me, and everybody else with Vista would be very grateful...

Sandy