BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 8300 Series Discussion - Curve (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   How to move files from one media card to another... (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=194750)

tndsmith33 06-23-2009 08:50 PM

How to move files from one media card to another...

I would like to buy a larger media card and take all that I have on it now and move it to the new one. What is the easiest way to do so without having extensions change on files renderring them useless? (had that happen the first time I bought a larger media card)

Thanks in advance.

dankarlinski 06-23-2009 09:12 PM

Wirelessly posted (MY 8900)

Just drag and drop files using windows

tndsmith33 06-23-2009 09:15 PM

Did that the last time and somewhere in there along the dragging and dropping things changed and I lost a whack of pics because their extensions changed. My own stupidity for not backing the pics up first.

Trimix 06-23-2009 10:22 PM

Use copy/paste then. That should preserve everything.

rasmith3530 06-24-2009 08:41 AM

I do this by creating a folder on my Desktop, name it something like "4GBcardbak." Using a Micro SD card reader, With the adapter connected to my PC, I open the drive letter associated with my storage card, then do a "Ctrl+A" to "Select All," and then a "Ctrl+C" to copy. Finally, I open the folder that I created on my desktop and do a "Ctrl+V" to paste.

Since I am going straight from the card to the PC, nothing gets altered in the translation. Card readers are generally cheap these days, usually less than $15 at WallyWorld. Check Amazon too. In fact, check Amazon for the new larger card as well!

rambo47 06-24-2009 09:00 AM

I just dragged and dropped my "BlackBerry" folder on my connected (via USB) Curve to my (Mac) computer desktop. After switching the media cards I then copied the contents of that folder to the corresponding folders on the new media card once it was in my BlackBerry.

TXLady 06-24-2009 09:35 AM

I also create a directory on the computer using Windows Explorer. Copy all contents from the card to the directory. Then copy all to the new card. Never had any problem with extensions changing.

rasmith3530 06-24-2009 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rambo47 (Post 1413791)
I just dragged and dropped my "BlackBerry" folder on my connected (via USB) Curve to my (Mac) computer desktop. After switching the media cards I then copied the contents of that folder to the corresponding folders on the new media card once it was in my BlackBerry.

Mac may handle some operations differently than Windows. Depending on how you move files using Windows, I too have seen changes occur.

Thank you Mr. Gates! :razz:

CO_BBTechie 06-24-2009 11:48 AM

Also be sure that you do not have content protection enabled. This is key specific and cannot be used off-device. You may re-enable any content protection later, after the data is on the new card.