BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 8300 Series Discussion - Curve (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Does BB run multiple apps at once? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=193245)

Swift_Lippin 06-10-2009 06:02 PM

Does BB run multiple apps at once?

I am new to the blackberry world by about a day. I came from windows mobile where my phone ran more than one app at a time and if my device ran slow, I could shut down apps from running via a device manager. Is there anything like that on a BB or does it only run one at a time?

Thanks for helping a noob!

juwaack68 06-10-2009 06:09 PM

Yes, you can run multiple apps at once and use a 'task switcher'-like shortcut to go from app to app.

And welcome to the forums!

Swift_Lippin 06-10-2009 06:10 PM

Is the task switcher the "switch task" button I get from the menu? If so, how do I shut down the apps I don't need running?

Thanks for the help and the welcoming!

juwaack68 06-10-2009 06:13 PM

Yes, or you can hold down the ALT key and press the escape key (swirly arrow button right of trackball) and you'll get the app/task switcher ribbon in the middle of the screen.

To close most 3rd party apps there should be 'Close' or 'Exit' option from that apps main menu.

Some apps will remain 'running' in the background - Messages, Call Log, Browser, and BB Messenger.

aiharkness 06-10-2009 06:20 PM

Wirelessly posted (8820)

And one other thing: some aftermarket apps have the capability to go into the background when closed. You can exit with one command and shift to background when closed. Pay attention to that when you install a new app so you know what's what.

juwaack68 06-10-2009 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aiharkness (Post 1403595)
shit to background when closed

HAHAHAHAHAH! Best post all day ;-)

aiharkness 06-10-2009 06:37 PM

Wirelessly posted (8820)

When I really needed the obscenity filter it let me down!

kirrinjones 06-10-2009 07:54 PM

Wirelessly posted

Yup multiple apps running is way cool. Sometimes I have as much as 13 apps running and switching between them is easy and I don't get any performance hits.

juwaack68 06-10-2009 08:01 PM

Keep in mind that leaving multiple apps running may use data and unless you have an unlimited data plan you could get overage charges.

michaelalanjones 06-10-2009 09:08 PM

The easiest way to switch between running apps is to simply hold down the BlackBerry menu button for a second or two (with the dots on it, to the left of the track ball). Then just scroll to the app that you want.

By the way, multi-tasking is something that I use every day. I will go to Facebook, tell it to update the status, then switch out to Vigo, have it update all my channels (a lot), then check my email. It truly does all that, easily. Unlike the iPhone.

mrpeez1490 06-11-2009 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelalanjones (Post 1403699)
The easiest way to switch between running apps is to simply hold down the BlackBerry menu button for a second or two (with the dots on it, to the left of the track ball). Then just scroll to the app that you want.

By the way, multi-tasking is something that I use every day. I will go to Facebook, tell it to update the status, then switch out to Vigo, have it update all my channels (a lot), then check my email. It truly does all that, easily. Unlike the iPhone.

i believe the holding down of the menu key is just for blackberry devices with OS 4.6 and higher. The original poster and others who still have OS 4.5 do not have that luxury.

michaelalanjones 06-11-2009 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrpeez1490 (Post 1403818)
i believe the holding down of the menu key is just for blackberry devices with OS 4.6 and higher. The original poster and others who still have OS 4.5 do not have that luxury.

Sorry, my first BB was the Bold. I didn't know.

mbldev 06-24-2009 09:03 AM

multi-tasking apps work about the same on windows mobile and on bb's. The main difference from your perspective will he the keys to close out apps that may be running in the background as indicated in another post.

rasmith3530 06-24-2009 09:26 AM

Remember too that leaving apps running in the background will shorten your battery life. I've had that happen where half way through the day, I look and say, "Oh Snap!" These days I carry a second battery for those days when I have a "senior moment" and leave a few apps that I'm done with running.