BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Carrier Specific Issues (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=131)
-   -   Verizon, O'Rly!! (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=215203)

perciple 12-30-2009 01:49 PM

Verizon, O'Rly!!

Well I finally jumped the fence to Verizon...from At&t...

I went and I got myself a Storm 2....bought it, went to my car all excited, I decided to have some lunch before heading home. With my new Storm 2 in hand I steped out of the car...got shock while closing the door, drop the storm 2 and yup!!...it broke.... not even a phone call was made.

Since I bought it at Best Buy, I was going to go online to get the Verizon Insurance(yup, you know where Im going with this). So now I have a broken Storm 2 from Verizon less than 1 an hour old. Best Buy said sorry(HA!,HA!)...Verizon said "Really, wow bad luck...nope sorry"," dont care if you are less than 1 hour new customer" "again sorry"

Back to AT&T, I guess..$200.00 in the hole but Oh well...Thank god I didnt get to call them to close my account..I was going to do that after lunch. =P

Lesson learned....

1. Never carry your phone in your hand
2. Always buy Insurance before your next blink.
3. Things are not always greener on the other side.

dc/dc 12-30-2009 03:07 PM

None of those are really required. I carry my phone frequently, still don't drop it, and have never had insurance. I agree with you about the last one though.

Sorry to hear about your luck.

twinglock40z 12-30-2009 04:15 PM

Wirelessly posted

I'm kinda confused at what your saying. I get the whole...

....stuff. But I think your more or less trying to say that verizon has bad customer service or something. Right? If you are then by no means does that irritate me or anything. Just if that is it, I'm wondering the reasons why you think so. If not, then completely disregard this post.

mrvtx 12-30-2009 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perciple (Post 1537756)
Well I finally jumped the fence to Verizon...from At&t...

Lesson learned....

I assume you are somehow implying that Verizon did something wrong because you dropped a phone that you didn't even buy from them, and they wouldn't give you another one? Do you think ATT would have?

Try buying a new car, driving it into a pole on your way out of the lot, then ask the dealership if they will give you a new one.

I mean seriously, you are kidding, right? What ever happened to personal responsibility?

wcr3d 12-30-2009 06:39 PM

Wirelessly posted

Sounds like by buying the insurance you were trying to dupe them. Sorry for your luck but that happen anywhere.

perciple 12-30-2009 07:37 PM

Sorry, I guess the meaning got lost in the message..

Dont get me wrong I dont blame the carrier..what I was trying to say pretty much, was to get insurance on your BB's. I dont want anybody else going through what I went through. I was trying to take the short way and ended costing me more. Sorry about the confusion on the post.

atuarre 12-30-2009 07:44 PM

You should always get insurance on these high end devices, although, I do not know what good the insurance will do you. The insurance companies have that statement which states that they can you send you a new/refurbished device similiar to or like yours, or something similiar to that. You could break a storm2 and I would not be surprised if they dont have any refurbished storm device that you get a storm1.

I have not had to use the Verizon insurance yet but I know with Sprint a while back I purchased a brand new phone, and it got knocked out of my hand by one of my dogs, and the insurance company sent me a phone that was 3 years old. They should let you choose to pay extra if you want to be assured you would get a new device in the event you break yours and have to use the insurance.

duane534 12-31-2009 12:51 AM

In that situation, sometimes, if you snag just the right salesman, they'll let you add the insurance within the first 30 days without seeing the phone. Perhaps, call them up. Thirty days later, make an insurance claim.

twinglock40z 12-31-2009 09:42 AM

Wirelessly posted

I've actually never had a problem putting insurance on a phone whenever I wanted. I had my own curve on verizon for about 6 months. I called them up because my curve started acting up. Did everything everyone and myself knew to do...nothing. The device was old and I had put it threw hell so I don't blame the company or anything. They were like your phone is out of warranty but you can always add insurance to it. So I was like not right now but thanks for the suggestion. Well soon after, my curve became unbearable so I thought to myself hmmm I'll add the 5 dollar or so insurance on the phone just to see. Five bucks isn't a huge gamble. I had no problem putting insurance on it through customer service. Well I waited about 2 weeks till I got my bill and actually paid the insurance fee on a bill. I then call them up and they transfer me over to the insurance folks. Well after some polite convo they ask me if I want the new device billed to my account. Sure I replied. It was like 40 something dollars. 3 days later got what looked like a brand new device. It did not have any of that "refurb or almost new" sticker stuff on it...who knows. Good to go... I thought they would want my other curve sent back. Well they didn't. So I put it on ebay, fully describing the condition it was in and it sold for just over a 100 bucks. I was afraid the buyer would still be upset even though I really did accurately describe it. They left very positive feedback. SCORE!

I was talking to someone I know about this that was saying they had a horrible experience going through the insurance process. Then they made a statement about how they probably treat me better because I'm a police officer. I was like yea ok... Well I got to thinking about it and remembered really never having a problem with verizon doing anything others always stated they had problems with. So I'm kind of curious if folks on a government accounts get treated better or not? I've never confirmed this yet....just wondering.

mrvtx 01-01-2010 07:18 PM

Most folks assume police officers have more integrity than the average Joe.

Thanks for confirming that most folks are wrong.

twinglock40z 01-01-2010 07:54 PM

Wirelessly posted

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvtx
Most folks assume police officers have more integrity than the average Joe.

Thanks for confirming that most folks are wrong.

Ok and what did I do that was actually wrong. I was OFFERED insurance. I didn't ask for it. Maybe I wasn't clear though...I was having problems with my own device and THEY offered me insurance on it so that I could get it replaced. I declined at first but then later decided to.

Or are you saying because THEY didn't want my old device back. Its not like I said I lost the phone. They knew the problems I was having it. I never lied or did anything wrong. Or because someone bought the device for more than what I thought it was worth. I started the auction at 10 bucks.

Or are you questioning my integrity because I got to wondering if government accounts get treated better

.....? So what is it that makes my integrity questionable? I take a great deal of offense to that.

mrvtx 01-02-2010 12:32 PM

If you don't see the integrity issue with doing something wrong just because someone else thought of it first, then I'm certainly not going to bother trying to explain it to you.

twinglock40z 01-02-2010 12:46 PM

Wirelessly posted

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvtx
If you don't see the integrity issue with doing something wrong just because someone else thought of it first, then I'm certainly not going to bother trying to explain it to you.

Ok government accounts getting better treatment/service brings my integrity into question...? Is that what your saying? Or because someone else suggested it was because I was a police officer and its making me question whether or not its true. I'm not being rude partner but I just don't see exactly what your talking about? If someone is doubting my integrity I would like a clear reason as to why. Maybe it might make me a better person. But as of right now, I don't see the problem.

Now if this all over folks getting better treatment because of them being on a govn account...I don't necessarily think that's right. That's why I pondered the question and posted in the forum. Maybe someone else out there can confirm or deny it. I never thought of it before. That's the whole question to begin with.

Noodle22 01-04-2010 05:49 PM

This is not meant in any offense to anyone, but I hate talking to police officers on the phone. They, and doctors, are some of the pushiest customers I have ever met. That said, I also don't know the occupation of every customer, but if the call starts out with 'You know, I'm a police officer/doctor...' I know the rest of the call I will be hell.

But this is just my experience. We had one that refused to get off the phone saying we 'lied' to him, and could not figure out what he was talking about, other than he asked for something, we said no, so he signed up elsewhere. He wanted all cancellation fee's waived due to this 'lie'.

Just personal experience, I'm sure the ones that don't boast are very nice :)

soulman978 01-18-2010 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinglock40z (Post 1539158)
Wirelessly posted

Ok and what did I do that was actually wrong. I was OFFERED insurance. I didn't ask for it. Maybe I wasn't clear though...I was having problems with my own device and THEY offered me insurance on it so that I could get it replaced. I declined at first but then later decided to.

Or are you saying because THEY didn't want my old device back. Its not like I said I lost the phone. They knew the problems I was having it. I never lied or did anything wrong. Or because someone bought the device for more than what I thought it was worth. I started the auction at 10 bucks.

Or are you questioning my integrity because I got to wondering if government accounts get treated better

.....? So what is it that makes my integrity questionable? I take a great deal of offense to that.

This questioning of your integrity should not be hard for you to understand. Have you ever had to investigate insurance fraud, because that's what you committed. You can't buy insurance on something that's already broken and then file a claim for it.

joebogey 01-20-2010 07:18 AM

I think this is getting a little out of hand. From my personal experience, Verizon Wireless has a separate customer service for "large accounts." I don't know what qualifies as a large account, maybe more than 20 phones, I don't know. I previously worked for a company that had probably well over 2-3,000 phones with them, from basic regular phones, to BB's, and I know when I called them I had a very different experience than when I called them for my personal phone.

Point two, I think the fact that twing stated to customer service he was having a problem with the phone and they told him to add the insurance closes the door on insurance fraud (nice use of buzz words by the way) since he wasn't misleading when he spoke to customer service.

And lastly, I was a customer service rep that setup new accounts for a company that required employer information, so I knew the employer of most callers, and I can say the opening statement of "I'm a Police Officer" accounts for about 10% of all Cops, the reason you don't know it is the other 90% don't throw it around.

Noodle22 01-20-2010 10:07 AM

I work in cancellations, when someone throws around being a police officer or doctor during a cancellation call, I meant what I said. There is no reason to mention their occupation during that call as it is not relevant, and it will be said before the usual request of 'And this is why I think you should waive all cancellation fees plus the last 6 months of my monthly service fees and..'

My point exactly was that those who throw it around, are the most difficult customers I deal with. I didn't say anything about those that don't point it out.

twinglock40z 01-20-2010 07:27 PM

Wirelessly posted

First of all I'll repeat this. I never mention to people that I'm a police officer ESPECIALLY when it can be construed that I'm trying to get better treatment. And it was never a fact of a police officer getting better service but if people on government accounts getting better service. Noodles I completely agree with you about the ego of some officers. It actually drives me up the wall.

Soulman, I think your perception of what actually constitutes insurance fraud is a tad flawed. Just so you are familiar; the legal defintion of fraud is:

A false representation of a matter of fact—whether by words or by conduct, by false or misleading allegations, or by concealment of what should have been disclosed—that deceives and is intended to deceive another.
Fraud is commonly understood as dishonesty calculated for advantage.

In the U.S. legal system, fraud is a specific offense with certain features. And in no way did I commit any type of fraud. Just a little FYI, I was an investigator for 4 long years where I investigated several types of fraud cases.

mrvtx 01-20-2010 10:15 PM

So, technically speaking, you feel that you observed the letter of the law?

Very reassuring. We certainly wouldn't want LEOs to observe the spirit of the law where they might be thrust into that awkward "role model" scenario.

soulman978 01-23-2010 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinglock40z (Post 1551124)
Wirelessly posted

First of all I'll repeat this. I never mention to people that I'm a police officer ESPECIALLY when it can be construed that I'm trying to get better treatment. And it was never a fact of a police officer getting better service but if people on government accounts getting better service. Noodles I completely agree with you about the ego of some officers. It actually drives me up the wall.

Soulman, I think your perception of what actually constitutes insurance fraud is a tad flawed. Just so you are familiar; the legal defintion of fraud is:

A false representation of a matter of fact—whether by words or by conduct, by false or misleading allegations, or by concealment of what should have been disclosed—that deceives and is intended to deceive another.
Fraud is commonly understood as dishonesty calculated for advantage.

In the U.S. legal system, fraud is a specific offense with certain features. And in no way did I commit any type of fraud. Just a little FYI, I was an investigator for 4 long years where I investigated several types of fraud cases.

Did you let them know BEFORE you bought the insurance that the phone was essentially a paperweight? If not, then you concealed that material fact in an effort to collect the insurance (new phone).