BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9000 Series Discussion - Bold (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   Backup Problem (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=191379)

jimfraser 05-26-2009 05:52 PM

Backup Problem

I have upgraded my OS many times and am currently on the most recent "official" OS .266. Every time I have upgraded, (I use Desktop Manager. I find it gets me reinitialized on the BES, while loader.exe does not) my data, files and programs have automatically been backed up, deleted from my 9000, and have been restored to my Bold without a problem.
However I have never been able to do a manual backup on DM (not part of the OS upgrade process). When ever I try to do a manual backup, the process starts, but stops only part way through at WordToGoPref. The back up stops there with the message "Error Error backing up database(s) ".
I had never used wordtogo, so today I registered, upgraded to the most recent version, actually imported a document and opened it, went into preferences, did a battery pull. I tried a backup on DM and still the back up stops at wordtogo preferences, with the foregoing error message.
I may want to downgrade to a lower OS and am nervious to do so without a manual backup (as a backup) in case the downgrade gets messed up.

Dubdub 05-26-2009 07:10 PM

Could it possibly be blocked by an IT Policy?

jimfraser 05-27-2009 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubdub (Post 1392341)
Could it possibly be blocked by an IT Policy?

No, not an IT Policy. I checked this morning. Did not think so as I have had no problem upgrading the OS and getting reiniatilized.
It was suggested that I upgrade to DM 4.7 from 4.6. Not sure that that would be the issue. Also I read some where on this forum that using DM 4.7 with the Bold may creat issues on an OS upgrade.
I will go into WordToGo again and actually change the preferences and save. It may be a corrupt WordToGo preferences file that is corrupted, as that is where the backup fails each time.

jimfraser 05-28-2009 04:25 PM

Still Backup Problems

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimfraser (Post 1392777)
No, not an IT Policy. I checked this morning. Did not think so as I have had no problem upgrading the OS and getting reiniatilized.
It was suggested that I upgrade to DM 4.7 from 4.6. Not sure that that would be the issue. Also I read some where on this forum that using DM 4.7 with the Bold may creat issues on an OS upgrade.
I will go into WordToGo again and actually change the preferences and save. It may be a corrupt WordToGo preferences file that is corrupted, as that is where the backup fails each time.

It must have been a corrupt WordToGo preferences file. After I went into WordToGo preferences and changed and saved the preferences, I got past WordToGo preferences on the backup. Still not backed up however, now I get 75% through, but the backup stops on Browser Folders and will not complete.
Not sure how to fix Browser Folders file.

Bulkhead 06-02-2009 05:41 PM

Me too

I'm having the same issue, however it appears to be memory related.

If I manually select couple items at a time from the Device databases pane under the Advanced Backup and Restore menu, I can get through everything. When I try to backup everything at once, I get errors.

If I deselect a database, and restart the backup, I just get an error message at a different point in the process.

I have cleared the memory and cleared the browser cache as well.

I was getting stuck at Browser Messages. I don't know what those are and as I said, I had cleared the cache on my browser on the handheld. So, I used desktop manager and cleared the database. I had 4 records in it. I figured i could live without 4 "browser messages" whatever they are, or were. I then backed up everything else manually in one fell swoop - and it worked.

Appears to be database corruption and an error handling error to me.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

L3stat 06-22-2009 09:00 AM

Bump on this thread, I might have a related issue.

L3stat 06-23-2009 02:03 AM

Got mine working

Update on my problem, found a solution that may work for you: I had the same problem in that backup fails at random databases with a "Unknown error". Through experimenting, I realised that Application Loader creates a backup (provided you check off the box under options in the App Loader screen), even if you're failing to complete one. To verify this, you could install a random app through App Loader, and try locate the backup created on your HDD.

After that, I went on to do a full reinstall of the handheld OS using App Loader, checking off the backup handheld, delete all applications and data boxes. Immediately after the device data was restored, I could do a full backup with no issues. I then tried again after Enterprise Activation and it's still working. If this approach might help, do try it out.

Other details in this thread.