BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9000 Series Discussion - Bold (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   Backup error (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=158295)

masonfoley 11-07-2008 03:14 AM

Backup error

After a few days of tinkering and installing the apps I'm comfortable with, I figured it was time to start backing up the device.

By backup I mean initiating a backup from the Desktop Manager while the device is connected via USB.

The options I currently have selected are here:
2008-11-07_0311

Unfortunately, the backup proceeds up to "Profiles", pauses for about 5 seconds and then I get an error indicating the backup failed.

Video of the error can be found here:
2008-11-07_0312

Anyone else run into this or something similar? What initial troubleshooting would you all suggest?

giorgosh 12-30-2008 02:05 AM

I get the same error at 'Attachment options'. I tried manual backup, de-selected 'Attachment options', and then it crashed at 'Attachment data'... Cant find a solution :(

Reinstalled DM, changed versions (From 4.6 to 4.6 and vice versa) and still same errors! :(

Afraid to update OS cause i don't want to lose any data..

david_uk 12-30-2008 06:54 AM

Same here. Have tried both DM 4.7 and 4.6 (BES version). Have not successfully completed a backup on Bold, Storm or 8900, in fact since OS 4.5.

MPS 12-30-2008 01:52 PM

Grrrr same here i have 2 BB 9000 and get error when backing up WTH !!!

MPS 12-30-2008 01:56 PM

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e8...1/Untitled.jpg

Klotar 12-30-2008 02:19 PM

While I can't help you others, MPS's should be easy to fix.

Open your BB Browser, click the Menu key, then select Options. Scroll down to Cache Operations, and clear History, Content Cache, and Pushed Content. I usually keep Cookies and Passwords.

Then try your backup again.

MPS 12-30-2008 03:02 PM

it worked :smile:
thank you

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klotar (Post 1228156)
While I can't help you others, MPS's should be easy to fix.

Open your BB Browser, click the Menu key, then select Options. Scroll down to Cache Operations, and clear History, Content Cache, and Pushed Content. I usually keep Cookies and Passwords.

Then try your backup again.

david_uk 12-31-2008 02:47 AM

Am afraid Klotar's workaround didn't fix my problem. The error message here is "Unknown Error".

Knocka 12-31-2008 06:36 AM

I have had this problem backing up Profiles with multiple blackberrys, including my Bold. The workaround is to use the Advanced option, and Select everything in the right-had pane EXCEPT Profiles, and then click the arrow to move to the computer. Then Save. You have to manually save.

When I recently upgraded my BB OS, I tried it without the SD card installed. That cured the problem. I have not yet tried reinstalling the SD card.

Hope this helps.

Klotar 12-31-2008 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knocka (Post 1229091)
I have had this problem backing up Profiles with multiple blackberrys, including my Bold. The workaround is to use the Advanced option, and Select everything in the right-had pane EXCEPT Profiles, and then click the arrow to move to the computer. Then Save. You have to manually save.

When I recently upgraded my BB OS, I tried it without the SD card installed. That cured the problem. I have not yet tried reinstalling the SD card.

Hope this helps.

I've had that problem with Profiles too (actually, the only ones I have had were with Profiles and Browser; no calendar or contacts yet /knock).

I did not think of backing up everything EXCEPT profiles (good tip!). What I did instead was restore profiles ONLY from an old backup and then back up the entire thing as a new backup. The only bummer was that restoring my profiles always seemed to reset all my notifications to default.

My theory regarding profiles is that uninstalling apps that inject themselves into Profiles is the cause, especially when deleting apps from the handheld (as opposed to using DM). The uninstall removes their line entry from each profile but something messes it up and corrupts the database. Again, it's only a theory because usually I don't back up AFTER deleting apps so I may not know for a week or so that I have a problem until the next backup attempt.

pkiestler 12-31-2008 10:00 AM

I haven't been able to back up mine, either. It always stops at "Calendar - All." I was able to back up the other sections individually, but can't seem to get the calendar back-up to work. I am on a BES and have two non-BES email/calendar associations.

hrs786 12-31-2008 10:17 AM

A while back ago I had a similar backup error problem too, but that was on my 8700. The solution that ended up working for me was to upgrade the OS to a newer version.

I am not sure why that worked, but it did.

It might work for you. Just my two cents.

Jacobsaby 03-29-2009 07:31 AM

I was having trouble backing up things like, calendar and contacts. Then I remembered that I have those set to sync with my igoogle. I turned of calendar/contact backup in desktop manager backup options (since they're already on my igoogle), and I was able to complete a fresh backup.

drongodrew 04-07-2009 06:07 PM

Thanks klotar. Cache clearing worked for me too.

scaevola 04-08-2009 06:35 PM

How long do you keep your scheduling information? On your blackberry?

I actually have an issue backing up both my BIS 9000 and my BES 8700. It fails on email (oh No!)

I think there maybe a be a fixed msg/scheduling/etc size if it the backup reaches that point it fails.

And on a separate note. Has anyone managed to upgrade a bold without losing all profiles? Really becoming a huge pita for me.

eykhong 04-09-2009 12:00 PM

my backup hangs at WLAN profiles. any ideas?

caggie01 04-29-2009 04:25 PM

I cleared cache in BB Browser, backup went smooth.

L3stat 06-22-2009 09:59 AM

I'm having the same issue and am pretty frustrated. What is strange in my case is that when I update applications during the Application Loader, the backup and restore there seems to work fine. Otherwise, using Backup or Advanced and doing selective backups never seems to work. Trips up at random databases, I can't even replicate the problem for crying out loud!

L3stat 06-23-2009 02:01 AM

Got it working!

Update on my problem, found a solution that may work for you: I had the same problem in that backup fails at random databases with a "Unknown error". Through experimenting, I realised that Application Loader creates a backup (provided you check off the box under options in the App Loader screen), even if you're failing to complete one. To verify this, you could install a random app through App Loader, and try locate the backup created on your HDD.

After that, I went on to do a full reinstall of the handheld OS using App Loader, checking off the backup handheld, delete all applications and data boxes. Immediately after the device data was restored, I could do a full backup with no issues. I then tried again after Enterprise Activation and it's still working. If this approach might help, do try it out.

Other details in this thread.

CCCP 06-23-2009 01:45 PM

Thanks Klotar. Cache clearing worked for me too.