BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9500 Series Discussion - Storm (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   New Storm...Battery Life (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=170508)

strata615 01-14-2009 12:17 PM

New Storm...Battery Life

I just got a storm. From a full charge today at 8AM I have used it for a few e-mails and a few SMS's. No browser or anything yet. It is already down to 50% battery life and it has been little over 3 hours. Is this normal?

Cruisin1966 01-14-2009 12:22 PM

No. Are bluetooth and GPS on?

rpjohs 01-14-2009 12:24 PM

You need to completely uninstall VZ Navigator. It kills your battery. Options>Advanced Options>Applications, delete it.

Also, uninstall the other preloaded apps that you dont need.

strata615 01-14-2009 12:33 PM

already had uninstalled VZNav and Visual Voicemail...BT is off...

still learning blackberries...but i have gps set to E911 only...

Windows Mobile user until yesterday haha.

craftysince86 01-14-2009 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpjohs (Post 1246744)
You need to completely uninstall VZ Navigator. It kills your battery. Options>Advanced Options>Applications, delete it.

Also, uninstall the other preloaded apps that you dont need.

good info!

jsntrenkler 01-14-2009 12:47 PM

I agree with VZNav, what a battery HOG. I haven't had any battery issues since I uninstalled that application.

strata615 01-14-2009 01:18 PM

so anything else it could be? what is an avg battery life for the phone?

Cruisin1966 01-14-2009 01:27 PM

With light usage like what you've described, mine easily lasted two days. Change the screen brightness and timeout as well, if you haven't already.

Is it possible your Storm isn't picking up the tower well and therefore using more battery staying connected to the network?

strata615 01-14-2009 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cruisin1966 (Post 1246858)
With light usage like what you've described, mine easily lasted two days. Change the screen brightness and timeout as well, if you haven't already.

Is it possible your Storm isn't picking up the tower well and therefore using more battery staying connected to the network?

what brightness and timeout are you using? i have full bars at almost all places and have never had a vzw service issue in the area...

Cruisin1966 01-14-2009 01:40 PM

Brightness at 10, timeout of 10 sec.

Beagle 01-14-2009 01:44 PM

The biggest difference I found was the screen settings. I've got my screen set at 10% and can see it just fine! With that setting, I've been able to get 48+ hours out of the battery. And that's getting probably 75-100 emails a day, a few short phone calls, and a bit of browsing!

roofus 01-14-2009 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle (Post 1246886)
The biggest difference I found was the screen settings. I've got my screen set at 10% and can see it just fine! With that setting, I've been able to get 48+ hours out of the battery. And that's getting probably 75-100 emails a day, a few short phone calls, and a bit of browsing!

10%!!!!!!! you must be a mole or a bat8-)

rachamphetamine 01-14-2009 02:29 PM

10% isn't that dark.. plus the screen on mine frequently lights itself up all the way as though it's in the actual dark when it's not. I've also been able to get around 48 hours out of a battery at those screen settings.

XelhaBB 01-14-2009 02:32 PM

roofus, I concur!!

I just checked the 10% setting and uuuh....NOT!

Beagle, you must work in a very dark environment. Vampire?

Thom 01-14-2009 03:00 PM

After you have made the adjustments others have posted to your question, my suggestion would be to get a case that has a magnet in it. The magnet will put the phone into sleep mode when it is not in use. This in itself will make the battery last loads longer.

Neurobit 01-14-2009 03:12 PM

I have my screen full blast, /20 seconds, and my battery goes on for days with moderate use (VZNav and Visual VM have been uninstalled long ago).

I just plugged it in last night after a couple of days of use, and my batt was still 3/4 full.

What version software do you have?
I am on .85.

Regards,
Paul

just4747 01-14-2009 04:19 PM

Hey OP...I've had the same issue as you. Got my Storm about a week and a half ago. With the original and beta upgrade OSs, my battery life has been subpar..fully charged and unplugged at 7 AM, almost dead my 5 pm (if I'm lucky). This is with light usage, only a few battery pulls (which take power to do), and decent service. I also had already followed all the common battery-saver tips, as I always do with my new phones.

Sooo, I went to Verizon yesterday and got my battery switched for a new one. Today= same thing...it is now 4:17 pm and the new battery is at 30%. So, after work I am going back and having the phone itself switched out. I'm doing it following the advice of a Crackberry.com member who told me he had the same problem, also even after a new battery....so he switched the phone out and has had great battery life. A single charge should be lasting into the 2nd day with whatever usage you have.

I will report back later tonight to let you know how the new one is if everything goes smoothly...

nusher 01-14-2009 05:21 PM

I have, and periodically use VZ Nav. I assumed that by "closing" the appl. it wouldn't consume battery. Is that incorrect? I do have to admit my battery life has been disappointing...but would prefer to not have to remove it altogether.

Neurobit 01-14-2009 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nusher (Post 1247231)
I have, and periodically use VZ Nav. I assumed that by "closing" the appl. it wouldn't consume battery. Is that incorrect? I do have to admit my battery life has been disappointing...but would prefer to not have to remove it altogether.

I'm not an expert on VZ Nav, but a lot of folks have said that its always trying to track Satellites even when turned off, and that's why the batt life is abismal.

Take it with a grain of salt, since I did not have a use for it, I uninstalled it just to be safe.

nusher 01-14-2009 06:12 PM

Thanks...I decided to look at my GPS settings which I realize do seem to be on. Maybe that's what I need to turn off too and not just close the VZNav program?