BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Hardware & Accessories (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Best case for dropping protection? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=217609)

Sheepsaymoo 01-22-2010 08:36 PM

Best case for dropping protection?

I just got the new Curve 8530 to make running my horseback boarding business run alot smoother (and it has!) but I am worried about dropping it on the pavement. So far so good, it lives in my vest pocket zipped up because I ride with it, but I do get a lot of calls and am worried about being clumsy and dropping it.

What is the best case I can get that will protect against dropping it?

I looked at Selio and Otterboxes, but a lot of those are bulky and ugly. I would like something aesthetically appealing, but that is not my first priority.

:) Thanks!

zerog46 01-22-2010 08:47 PM

Body glove makes a nice rubberized case, but the best is gonna be Otterbox.

ezrunner 01-23-2010 06:15 AM

Wirelessly posted (well lookie here!)

Agreed with Zerog46 best protection would be an Otterbox

johnling 01-24-2010 07:03 PM

Otterbox Defender for sure - Mine just arrived yesterday. It's like keeping you BB in a vault!

Zacht 01-25-2010 05:19 PM

I would say look at some of the new otterboxes. If those are too bulky for you, look for "rugged case" sections on an accessory websites. BlackBerry Cases and Holsters I know has some different cases that aren't necessarily bulky. Just look around for rugged or "hard cases" in a search engine, until you find one you like.

sophiemith 02-09-2010 04:04 AM

otterbox 's case is not of good looking, my friend suggest me that a company named Dsstyles they provide nice design cases for BB

AlcatrazT2 02-19-2010 12:49 AM

Casemate makes some good cases. Saved my GF's iPhone once during a very nasty drop.

Ashg 02-20-2010 02:05 AM

Amazon has the Otterbox Defenders on sale at really reduced prices right now. I just picked a Defender up for my Tour for $30. It's a tank of a case, and I love it.

Kankujoe 02-21-2010 02:56 AM

I really like my Otterbox Defender case...

I think it offers the best protection in a wearable case. I like that the screen faces you when in the holster. Personally, I like the way it looks.

Bought mine from Amazon.

rich420 02-23-2010 01:08 PM

Any silicone or rubber case helps with protection from phone dropping. But it never guarentees anything!

smith27 02-26-2010 06:28 AM

I've used body glove cases in the past, they seem to do a good job.

crunion 03-16-2010 07:30 PM

The OTER BOX is the way to go. It is as hard as a rock. (y)

rcb3 03-19-2010 01:40 AM

Wirelessly posted (8700g 2007-04-07)

If keeping the phone attached to your belt is desire the ONLY way to go is rugged. They make a clip on to the belt or a belt lope belt holder. The case itself is made of heavy canvas. The real secret is the locking mechanism. It is made of steel riveted reinforced to a metal vise lock holder. The belt lock is just that locking. It has a four point position locking in anyway you want even upside down. You HAVE to push the metal release to unlock the case. Most times I just unsnap the button the top of the case to pull my phone out. I have wide hips so it catches on everything but never comes off. Walmart sales two sizes large and middle. My 8820 slides right on. I did add a small magnet to the bottom to have it lock but other than that best case I have every had. It can always be found just behind my hip. I run into door jams a hit it getting in and out of the car. Phone never moves!

captthomason 03-22-2010 09:08 AM

Had an otterbox on my bold, but it made the phone bigger than it already was, so i ditched it for a Seidio Innocase 360. However, for you working on the trail on a horse the otterbox would be more along the lines of what you should look at.

steveberry 06-09-2010 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zerog46 (Post 1552680)
Body glove makes a nice rubberized case, but the best is gonna be Otterbox.

I now totally agree, thanks for this!

Vinnie417 06-09-2010 05:59 PM

OtterBox Defender is the very best case. I use one on my BB Curve 8320.

Murderswitch 06-15-2010 01:05 AM

Touchscreens are hard to protect from impact

I just got the Commuter case for my 9550 and my wife's 8530. My reasoning for the Commuter versus the Defender is because it isn't as bulky and doesn't look like a pocket bomb, but also has the great protection... well... so I thought. I found out yesterday morning that regardless of what you have wrapped around a Storm, impact will probably win the fight. I went to show the case to one of my coworkers out behind our store (standing on a sidewalk) and the rubber around the corners got caught on the liner in my dress pants pocket and fumbled out of my hand and onto the walkway. It didn't hit THAT hard and while I wasn't freaking out because I felt assured that the Otterbox did it's job, I picked up the phone and the whole entire screen was shattered. The funny thing at least is that the screen is still intact and working only because the screen protector (that came with the Otterbox) held it all together, or else the glass would've scattered everywhere. So as of right now... a couple boxes of tissue later... I'm staring at my completely ridiculous looking phone and waiting for payday so I can pay the deductible for the insurance ($89 - Verizon). I doubt a Defender would've saved it. I can imagine these storms being more delicate than traditional BB's anyway. So regardless of what you get, 'impact' has the upper hand - especially if you have a touchscreen. *cry*

kjacenko 06-15-2010 11:25 PM

What would you recommend for a 9700 for rugged with a belt clip without going to a bombshell like the Defender? I was thinking about getting the Commuter and sticking that inside the OEM case that came with my phone. And is the holster for the Defender really that durable, it looks a little flimzy and at first look the phone didn't sit too sturdy in it, after all it is held only by 2 pins recessed into the case. Any ideas? I've dropped my Pearl before, now that I upgraded to a Bold I don't wanna have to go through one of those again.

Thank in advance

readBB 10-23-2010 05:01 AM

I used 2 cases with great protection.

OttberBox is great chooice. It offer great protection. I had it from online line.
fully protection and easy to access. 9/10

Melkco Jacka Type is great also. At least it has LCD face protection, even dropping when I used it and close the cover with small forces with genuine leather.

Depends on your needs. Both are my choice.

Zacht 10-31-2010 04:31 PM

Otterboxes are definitely your best bet. I don't like bulky cases though, so I just use a blackberry alligator cases.