BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Aftermarket Software (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   How To: Backup and Restore All Installed 3rd Party Apps (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=91912)

John Clark 08-23-2007 05:48 PM

How To: Backup and Restore All Installed 3rd Party Apps

Need to wipe your device using javaloader or JL_Cmder but don't want to lose all your 3rd party apps? Backup/Restore in Desktop Manager won't do it. Here is a way to back them up and restore them. Note: It wouldn't be a bad idea to do this on a routine basis just incase your device gives you the unexpected hourglass screen of death requiring you to wipe the device.
  • Download and install the latest version of Desktop Manager 4.2 from here
  • Plug in the device and run Desktop Manager.
  • Click on “Switch Device Wizard.”
  • Click on “Switch Blackberry Devices.”
  • Click “Next.”
  • Select USB: Your Pin.
  • Click “Next” and then enter your password if required.
  • Uncheck “User Data and Settings” and “Include Messages” leaving only “Third Party Applications checked.
  • Click “Next.”
  • When it’s finished backing up the apps, DO NOT click “Next” or “Cancel.” Leave that screen as it is and continue these instructions.
  • Search your computer files/folders for a folder labled with your pin number. Be sure and search in hidden and system files. Hint from BBF member NextelUser: Open Windows Explorer or My Computer and type in %temp% to find your temp folder with the folder labeled as your pin number.
  • When you find it copy it to another location.
  • Now go back and “Cancel” the Switch Device Wizard. If you cancel the wizard before copying the folder to another location the folder is automatically emptied.
  • Now wipe your device as desired. Your backup is complete.

Restore:
  • When the OS has been loaded back to the device run Application Loader again and click on “Add”
  • Browse to the folder you copied with your PIN. Double click on the file named yourpin.alx.
  • This should add all your 3rd party apps to the apploader.
  • Finish the installation to load them to your BB.
  • After the 3rd party backups have been restored, move, rename or delete the folder you pointed to using the "Add" feature in DM. Failure to do so will cause subsequent backups to skip any application that was contained in the original backup. See the note below.
  • Restore your personal data using the restore feature in Desktop Manager Backup/Restore
Note: If you are wiping the device because of a problem this procedure may not be wise to perform because the cause of the trouble could possibly be in one of the 3rd party apps.

Note: If you ever use one of these backups to restore an app or multiple apps back to your device you'll need to move the folder to a new location after restoring. If you leave it in the same location then the next time you perform this backup procedure any apps included in the original will not be backed up in the temp/yourpin folder since they are already recognized by Desktop Manager as being in another location. So, after restoring your app(s) simply move the pin folder to a new location, rename it or delete it.

bloodhound 08-27-2007 05:57 AM

Re: Backing up applications -How To: Backup All Installed 3rd Party Apps

The process described in http://www.blackberryforums.com/rim-...arty-apps.html
Did not work for me, it backed up nothing, what am I doing wrong ?, I followed the steps, tried 3 times.
I do have 3rd party applications installed, such as Handango Chinese translation dictionary and phrase book, Opera, + other 3rd party apps.
Are there any other methods for backing up 3rd party apps ?.
===
Blackberry 8100 user in Shanghai.
===

Dawg 08-27-2007 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bloodhound (Post 646725)
The process described in http://www.blackberryforums.com/rim-...arty-apps.html
Did not work for me, it backed up nothing, what am I doing wrong ?, I followed the steps, tried 3 times.
I do have 3rd party applications installed, such as Handango Chinese translation dictionary and phrase book, Opera, + other 3rd party apps.
Are there any other methods for backing up 3rd party apps ?.
===
Blackberry 8100 user in Shanghai.
===

so when you ran a back up it didnt save any third party apps at all?

Aroc 08-27-2007 07:09 AM

If you can determine the names of the .cod files on the device, you can use Javaload (JL_cmder) to backup third party programs.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...-jl_cmder.html

Two Mike Romeo 08-27-2007 10:19 AM

Just a quick note on searching for the yourpin.alx file...

1 Attachment(s)
First of all... Thanks John for this excellent tutorial. This has saved my bacon and LOTS of time reloading all my 3P apps. Kudos to you!

And for those of you that are trying this for the first time...

When you search your computer files/folders for the folder labled with your pin number - make sure that you enable searches for hidden files and folders. See the attached pic for a description.

Randall
Two Mike Romeo

bloodhound 08-27-2007 06:15 PM

Correct, it did not save any apps. Infact the process was slightly different than that described in the previous url.
1) Start BB Desktop, enter passwords on Desktop and BB.
2) Start Switch Devices
3) Click the Switch the BB Device icon
4) Click Next
5) At USB:pin dialog, click Next
6) Enter Password, click Next
7) "Activate my New Device during the Device Switching Process", "Select you email MS Outlook or IBM Lotus" Dialog is displayed
8) Select "Do not activate my device during the switching process"
9) Click Next
10) "No Actions Required" Dialog is displayed
I do not see at any point any apps being backed up,
Thoughts ?.

Dawg 08-27-2007 07:59 PM

did you do a back up prior to the switch?

bloodhound 08-27-2007 09:15 PM

Not sure what you mean, certainly there's no backup option dialogs for the switch. However I did do a backup from backup/restore from the desktop manager, but this only performs a backup of data, not applications.

Jagga 08-27-2007 09:55 PM

Backup & restore

Why not FIRST use Backup & Restore app within BBDM.

Do a FULL backup. RESTORE on the replacement unit.

Then activate the new replacement BB unit .... sounds like you're on a BES and its POSSIBLE that new IT Policy has restrictions.

question ... IF you are ON a BES ... did you install those 3rd party apps BEFORE setting up on that BES?

John Clark 08-27-2007 11:31 PM

He's wanting to backup the 3rd party apps on his device. Backup/Restore doesn't back those up.

@bloodhound:
You are simply going to far in the switch device wizard. After you select your pin (the first time,) enter your password. It should read the device and then bring up a screen to check "backup user data and settings" and "include messages" and "Third party applications." Uncheck the user data and messages and leave third party apps checked. Click Next. Once that is done DO NOT do ANYTHING else otherwise it will empty the folder and the backup won't be there. Leave the window there and go search for the folder labled with your pin. Remember to search hidden and system folders.

All these instructions are in the sticky thread with exception to the password entry and the part about searching for hidden and system folders.

...and I've merged your thread with this one to keep it all in one place. You'll likely not be the only one with this problem.

bloodhound 08-28-2007 01:09 AM

Thanks John, rtfm, I forgot to search for hidden files. I have now found the directory named with the pin number, however no files at all with ext alx.
The 8100 platform ver is 4.2.1.101 not sure if this makes any difference.
FYI I am very new to BB, I am based in Shanghai, so worse still theres no support or true outlets yet for BB's, China Mobile now supports BB's, however I am at the mercy or unqualified outfits that load/unload software on BB's, hence my urgent need to backup my apps. Recently I got the BB 8100, could not see how to connect to the internet and had no MMS support, could not see anything in the BB to support MMS, my simcard supports both internet and MMS and works fine on my samung. I had no idea how to configure MMS or Internet, no idea where you get a service book from still no idea. So I took the BB to a place, they trashed everything on the phone, but managed to load new stuff on and get MMS and Internet on.
Again thanks for you help.

John Clark 08-28-2007 01:17 AM

If there are no files in the pin folder then that means you went too far during the switch device wizard. Follow the instructions very closely. If you cancel out or continue on, the files will be removed from the folder. After it reads the 3rd party apps, do NOTHING. Just go find the folder and copy it to another location. THEN go back and cancel the switch device wizard.

This procedure was not meant for doing this but is a workaround way to backup all 3rd party apps at once. Good luck.

TomT64 08-30-2007 06:08 PM

This all looks very easy to do, except my device's USB connection no longer works. I was able to backup the data and restore it to a new Blackberry of the same type (Pearl) under warranty replacement. However, the desktop manager will not allow me to backup applications via Bluetooth. I am wondering if there is any other way to do this.

Just to be clear, backing up from USB is IMPOSSIBLE, and Bluetooth is the only connection to a PC that I can manage. I need to know how to backup the applications via bluetooth so I can restore them to the new phone which is working perfectly.

John Clark 08-30-2007 06:11 PM

Tom, welcome to the forums,
Unfortunatly, the application loader will not connect to the device using bluetooth. Sorry, you're out of luck on that one. You'll have to redownload your applications to the new device.

SteveMRose 09-04-2007 04:14 PM

Switch devices does not back up all 3rd party apps

I have also tried this method but by looking at the .alx file I see that it does not include WorldMate Pro 2006, IM+, nor Cryptmagic, all of which were done OTA.

I guess if a 3rd part app was not installed using DM, it is not recognized by the Switch module, even though it is recognized by Application Loader.

Now, I want to upgrade my Verizon 8830 OS to .148 from .66 but do not want to have to reload all my 3rd party apps yet again as I just switched from a 8703e to the 8830.

I guess there is no way around this if I want to update the OS- is there?

Thanks and sorry to be such a newbie- I've had a BB for over 7 years but just used them as supplied until now.

steve rose

John Clark 09-04-2007 04:53 PM

This is just a backup in case something goes wrong during the normal backup/upgrade/restore process or if the device unexpectedly won't boot and has to be reloaded. There may be a few apps that this method doesn't pick up. However, if you are doing an OS upgrade, Desktop Manager should show all the apps installed on the device and backup and restore everything. There are a few apps where some of the data doesn't restore however. CryptMagic has it's own database on the PC that you can restore back to the device.

KendallParis 10-30-2007 01:03 AM

John, I just want to say thank you, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! I was a beta tester for Pocket Metro a few years ago and on my first BlackBerry. The program is the best thing to happen to someone that doesn't know New York or their subway system, but it was an OTA download. I could never figure out how to convert it, so it was stuck on the 7100t. The company apparently went out of business, so I couldn't even buy a new copy, and even though people have suggested "equivalent programs," they aren't.

I'd often look at it sitting on that unit while trying to use all of my mental powers to move it over to my 8700g. Every few months or so, I come on the board looking for a way to get it off the 7100t as well as catch up on new stuff for my BlackBerry.

The past two nights, I've searched and searched the threads, downloaded this or that and finally came across this thread...It worked! It worked!

Thank you so much.

And a special thanks to Two Mike Romeo for showing exactly how to search the hidden folders.

John Clark 10-30-2007 01:38 AM

happy to help.

eykhong 01-18-2008 02:09 PM

i don't know what i'd do without this forum. thanks to everyone who contributes to this site and saves me many a headache. (y)

Nextel User 01-28-2008 06:12 PM

for most pc's. you can easily find the temp folder that it is using to temporarily save for the switch. in windows explorer type %temp% and hit enter. that is usually where the folder with your pin will be

if this works for most, then maybe you can sticky it

John Clark 01-28-2008 06:47 PM

Added that note to the first post. Thanks!

Nextel User 01-29-2008 02:08 PM

my pleasure.

most windows programs when written will use the default folders. in basic language its %temp% or %root% ..... and many more

kevinwa 01-30-2008 11:06 AM

I know this has kind of been answered but I thought I'd ask anyway. I have done the above procedure and it works great. Questions:

1. Does this procedure backup 3rd party software that was installed "Over the Air"
2. I see all the applications in the backup (save the PIN .alx ext) have no file extensions. Is it then not possible to reinstall or save just one "a" particular application?

Thanks

John Clark 01-30-2008 09:45 PM

1. Yes.
2. When restoring you simply use the "add" button to add the pin.alx. Then it gives you a selection for each app in the application loader.

Note: This procedure works best with DM 4.2 SP2. Occasionally, 4.3 doesn't see all the applications.

kevinwa 01-31-2008 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Clark (Post 817066)
1. Yes.
2. When restoring you simply use the "add" button to add the pin.alx. Then it gives you a selection for each app in the application loader.

Note: This procedure works best with DM 4.2 SP2. Occasionally, 4.3 doesn't see all the applications.

Ok, I'll try it but perhaps explain the part "use the add button to add the pin.alx" Not sure what you mean there.

If I have a file that shows: "texasholdem" with no file extension under my folder "235146af" I should rename it to "texasholdem.alx"? And then using the BB Desktop software select that file for restore. FYI I am trying to move one piece of software from one BB to another BB device. If that makes a difference, the PIN numbers will be different.

dhollins 02-20-2008 03:52 PM

Will this also work if I want to transfer some apps from a 8700g to a new 8320?

Two Mike Romeo 02-20-2008 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhollins (Post 843505)
Will this also work if I want to transfer some apps from a 8700g to a new 8320?

Yes. As long as the applications work on the new OS, you will be fine. Please note that you cannot select specific applications to back-up. However, you can select specific applications during the restore process.

As John Clark mentioned, this works best with DM 4.2. I just switched to a 8130 from an 8100 using DM 4.3 and several of my applications failed to back-up.

Randy
Two Mike Romeo

dhollins 02-20-2008 07:22 PM

Thanks for help. Everything went fine. I was able to transfer all my apps. I even got my ringtones via Media Manager. I am up and running on my 8320 now. Even connected to my home network. Thanks all

John Clark 02-20-2008 11:59 PM

(y)

kurizma 02-26-2008 05:26 PM

Thanks! Nice write up. Works like a charm.

Nouveau 04-18-2008 11:15 AM

BlackBerry Curve - Vista Business

I've followed your instructions, attempting to salvage my first game I just bought, Scrabble, but the file is nowhere to be found on my computer. I don't know if it's because I'm using Vista or what... any help appreciated. One other thing, this game was purchased from the BlackBerry, and not my computer.

Paula

infoe 05-13-2008 07:26 PM

i was able to follow all the directions up to where it says add when i selected mypin.alx the 8330 curve didnt accept it and it backed out of the process..

im trying to transfer over from my 8830 to the new 8330 using DM4.3

now when i repeat the process the temp folder holding the pin is empty and it does not try to do a backup process.

I'm worried about one program bb smart email viewer that i got as a deal over at crackberry...don't know what to do.

eykhong 06-03-2008 10:51 AM

OK, so this worked great for me once before, but the next time I try to do this I couldn't seem to find the folder. I am using DM 4.3, and after I check "Third-Party Apps" and click next, it asks to connect my NEW device. Has the folder been created at this point?

John Clark 06-03-2008 11:21 AM

It creates the folder after it reads all your 3rd party apps. You should see some status bars and it should copy all the apps from your device.

eykhong 06-03-2008 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Clark (Post 954465)
It creates the folder after it reads all your 3rd party apps. You should see some status bars and it should copy all the apps from your device.

Thanks John. That's what I thought, but I saw nothing of the sort. It just jumped to the "connect your new device" screen. What happens if I were to click "next" with my device still connected?

John Clark 06-03-2008 12:04 PM

I haven't used DM 4.3 in a while.....4.2 SP2 works the best. However, it seems like 4.3 will not recognize them sometimes. Try rebooting the pc and the BB and try it again.

DeedeeVI 06-05-2008 07:32 AM

http://i29.tinypic.com/205z3ug.gif

What a wonderful walk-thru, I had no problems doing it first time thru due to your wonderful instructions all my 3rd party stuff is safe and sound.

(y) Deedee

ps. I think you've got a little *cough* lipstick *cough* on your forehead there!

UPDATE1: I then made out like I wanted to reload them and did an ADD and when I browsed to the PIN.alx I got the dreaded "No additional applications designed for your device were found" - so maybe things didn't go as well as I thought? I will go actually delete one and try it again just incase it knows nothing is missing and report back after...

UPDATE2: I see the alx is present but the cod is not... still investigating...

John Clark 06-05-2008 11:38 AM

There are no .cod's associated with this method. During the process, the folder created will have files in it that associate with all your apps but they won't be .cod files. Make sure there are files in there. If when you go to add the PIN.alx you still have these files on the BB you'll likely get that message. You only use this if the apps are gone from your device. If they're still on your device Desktop Manager already sees them and may give you that message if you try to add them.

DeedeeVI 06-05-2008 12:25 PM

Apparently they ALL have to be gone as I only had the nerve to delete one for testing purposes and it still came up "No additional applications designed for your device were found" instead of letting me put that one back on.

Some of my purchased 3rd party stuff was OTA and I have no way to re-get it should I never need to. Being new to smartphones, I gotta say I find this lack of ability to back up not only by the software distributors but especially the device manager to be ridiculous. I really hoped this elegant solution was the work around I was looking for but unless it only works if I wipe the device, I'll never know and that's a test I'm not ready to take, although I'll go ahead and keep my PIN folder (37 files) just in case I have no choice someday.

Thanks again.

John Clark 06-05-2008 12:30 PM

If you delete one from your device, and you have the pin.alx added then you should see an empty checkbox for that app. However, it does work as advertised and will save you should your device get inadvertantly wiped or if an OS upgrade goes awry.

ixtab 06-18-2008 07:16 AM

Will this backup 3rd party storage databases as well as the 'install/executable' part?
I think I noticed that some apps (BerryDialer, Viigo, Mobile Desktop, Google Maps etc.) will lost their saved data (BerryDialer loses the configured cards, Viigo loses all the read/unread/saved articles, Mobile Desktop loses all the configured hosts and registration key, Google Maps lost all the saved trips and favorites etc.).

Does anyone know of a proved way to backup everything including the above (and other) 3rd party storage databases?

On the PocketPC or PalmOS it is such a straight forward task (and can also be run locally on the device as backup-to-card because of how simple it is), I guess it is much more complicated on the blackberry (maybe due to the more strict security constraints).

KeNNethX 07-01-2008 10:00 AM

John: I'm not sure if this is related, but I can't find an answer to this...I updated the Docs to Go 1.008 to 1.0020 (via OTA) and every time I runn DM/App Loader it downgrades Docs to go to the previous version. i then have to OTA the update again. Any way around this?

John Clark 07-01-2008 10:05 AM

Delete or rename the DocumentsToGo.alx file (same location as Blackberry.alx.) That will prevent DM from downgrading and will pick up the current version as a 3rd party app and will backup/restore it.

KeNNethX 07-01-2008 10:15 AM

Thanks John! You really know your stuff. I'm a BES admin for 90+ uers and I know a few things but your stuff is spot-on.

John Clark 07-01-2008 10:34 AM

Well, I know only a few things on the BES Admin side....That's what makes it a great forum! :-)

jsconyers 07-01-2008 12:55 PM

John,

This guide and your optimization guide are life savers. Thanks (y)

CotaMark 07-07-2008 09:44 PM

so I have a Verizon OS 4.2.2.66 and when I plug in the BB and open Desktop Manager, I don't get a prompt to update. Do I have manually do it?? I can see it gets grey screen and checks for an update, but does not prompt me to update after it checks

Apparently, after manually clickong on Aupdate Applications, it says I have no need for an update? I thought therer was a newer update, the one that enables GPS, youtube, etc...

John Clark 07-07-2008 09:50 PM

This thread is about backing up applications. Are you trying to upgrade your OS? See this thread here:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ge-sprint.html

power Reserve 07-18-2008 05:38 AM

John,
Do you know if this still works with dm4.5 as I am unable to find the folder? It has worked fine in the past on previous versions?

infernox 07-22-2008 03:55 PM

This is so awesome. Thanks John for the tip!!!

alda2004 07-23-2008 06:07 AM

I tried as well with DM 4.5 but cannot manage to find the switch device button...

Nextel User 07-23-2008 04:48 PM

wow....is that because it has been changed to the "device switch wizard"?

Caribe95 07-31-2008 04:49 PM

Hi John Clark,

Can one program in 'myPIN' folder, be loaded to the BB using JavaLoader?

PS: Nice Avatar, You look really fine... :)

dak244 08-14-2008 12:42 PM

FYI (and forgive me if this is already known or been said) -- after I hit cancel, the folder actually didnt clear itself like the guide said it would.

Not that it's a big deal or anything, I would still copy that file out, but the temp folder with my pin is still there

chargersfan 08-23-2008 08:24 PM

So far, both times I've tried this, the progam seems to get hung up backing up "Google Maps". Anyone else have this issue? I'm currently at 15 minutes of no progress on the bar. I'll keep waiting to see what happens, but I'm not hopeful.

John Clark 08-23-2008 10:43 PM

The whole process shouldn't take more than a minute or two. Try rebooting the computer and the BB and try it again.

chargersfan 08-24-2008 12:43 AM

Thanks John. Reboot of computer did the trick. Up and running with a safety net "just in case". My OLD pc notebook just barely does what it needs to do these days. I sure wish they'd come up with something decent for us MAC folks.

sheldonbk 08-24-2008 07:34 PM

I recently let MS do a system update with this really bad "search" program. The last one was so simple, even finding system/hidden files. Now I can't even use it to find %temp% directories or search by my pin #. It comes up with email messages containing my pin but not the new file. Can anyone point me more specifically to where the backup file is located.

John Clark 08-24-2008 07:41 PM

Mine is located in:

C:\Documents and Settings\myusername\Local Settings\Temp

sheldonbk 08-25-2008 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Clark (Post 1073540)
Mine is located in:

C:\Documents and Settings\myusername\Local Settings\Temp

Thx again John !!!

(Now to find a Windows XP bulletin board to get rid of the new Windows Search program)

Knocka 10-11-2008 05:08 PM

I am using Desktop Manager v. 4.6 and this procedure does not seem to work. It refuses to proceed without a New Device PIN. Since I am not actually changing to a new device, I do not have a PIN, other than the PIN of the Source, which it will not accept.

Has anyone figured out a way around this?

EDIT: I just figured it out. The screen where it wanted the new device pin is where you have to stop and go delete the folder named with your PIN. Then simply cancel.

John Clark 10-11-2008 05:30 PM

Wirelessly posted (BB 11020)

It works ok for me. Can you select "none" for the other device pin? DM 4.5 and above are slightly different from my instructions but fundamentally the same.

Knocka 10-11-2008 08:58 PM

I edited my post to say I figured it out. See above.

rcb3 10-25-2008 03:05 AM

it policy

Will this also remove any IT policies that the new bb has on it? I have tried to wipe this thing time and time again but the old IT policy is still there! JL comn wipes the handset clean and I can put my programs back on but the IT policy says no txt so I can't txt or save pictures. When I went to switch devices the power at the house went out for just a second as it was loading the info on to the new device. I am switching from an unlocked tmoblie to an unlocked rogers both 8700s.

Iare Tosevite 10-25-2008 11:39 AM

This is wrong thread - there's a faq site that shows you how to replace policy on your blackberry with a blank one.

If your company policy still is current, keep in mind is that company policy usually states that bypassing policies is grounds for termination.

rtrue012 10-25-2008 07:00 PM

Hey John,

Question?

I did exactly as posted with saving the third party apps. I wiped my 8330. I installed the 4.3 (downgrade). I modified a few things, deleting some voice-dial apps and adding some of the other vendors themes, etc. I installed the OS to my 8330. I restored my personal data. When I go back into AppLoader from the DM 4.6, I browse locating the mypin.axl file, once it recognizes it, I get an error "No additional applications designed for device were found". What would cause this?

Thanks in advance and to this forum, it has helped me in many ways!

UPDATE: I have no idea what happen but, after a few battery pulls and a restart of the PC I went back into DM attempting to load my third party apps manaully and there was all of my third party apps that I was attempting prior to my initial post, I checked the boxes and let it roll. I obviously happy but puzzled. Any idea how that happen?

Thanks again!

nohbdyshero 02-27-2009 03:31 PM

I am using DM 4.7 and Vista and can not find the folder with my pin#

I found my temp and set it to show everything and it is not there...I am leaving the device connection for the new device up then going to windows explorer to find and I am searching hidden folders as well....my TEMP has only 2 folders in it and neither are helpful

Any help?

Well never mind it seems that now the apps are available in the APP Loader after doin first part of Switch Device Wizard automatically seems RIM now does it on its own...sweet! Now my device and desktop are sync'd up!

mckinneycm 02-27-2009 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nohbdyshero (Post 1302074)
I am using DM 4.7 and Vista and can not find the folder with my pin#

I found my temp and set it to show everything and it is not there...I am leaving the device connection for the new device up then going to windows explorer to find and I am searching hidden folders as well....my TEMP has only 2 folders in it and neither are helpful

Any help?

Well never mind it seems that now the apps are available in the APP Loader after doin first part of Switch Device Wizard automatically seems RIM now does it on its own...sweet! Now my device and desktop are sync'd up!

On Vista, the PIN folder is located here:

C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Local\Temp\*PIN*

nohbdyshero 02-27-2009 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mckinneycm (Post 1302091)

that is it! thanks and it seems to stay instead of go away but good to know in case I need it 8-)

----------------
Now playing: The Rolling Stones - Paint It Black
via FoxyTunes

MisterEd 03-01-2009 02:48 PM

When I first got my BB Bold this procedure worked flawlessly. Now (I've been updating the BETA OS's regularly) only 3 of the 9 apps I have loaded are found in the "temp" PIN folder. It seems they may have killed this process off in recent OS updates.

Edit: And the "temp" PIN folder doesn't go away when I exit the Desktop utility.

blackberryme 03-06-2009 02:42 AM

If any one out there know
1. How to import and read the standard MS Word, Excel, PPT and PDF file into BB Storm.
2. How to read them (make it readable) on BB STORM.
3. Editting them on BB STORM.
4. How to install the mobile application software like flaskcard, Garmin GPS into BB STORM. Please help help help.
Thanks in advance.

axl_chan 04-29-2009 07:11 AM

It's really a very very cool way to backup all the 3rd party apps. Thanks, John

giorgosh 05-22-2009 02:19 AM

Is that required when OS upgrading? I think not...

John Clark 05-22-2009 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by giorgosh
Is that required when OS upgrading? I think not...

Then don't use it. But it will save you time downloading all your apps again when an OS upgrade goes wrong. It will happen.

giorgosh 05-22-2009 10:42 AM

I am not 100% sure but after you do firmware upgrade and then backup restoration, isn't your phone at excatly the same state as b4?

jsconyers 05-22-2009 10:46 AM

Yes, if the backup runs smooth. However, if you run into an issue, then you will lose all of your data. That is why it is best to backup your data as well as your 3rd party apps using the steps John outlined above.

Better safe than sorry.

The Sand 05-23-2009 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mckinneycm (Post 1302091)

Thanks for this... because if you are using Vista there is also a folder with your pin on it in:

Username\Appdata\Roaming\RIM\Blackberry\Intellisyn c\Your Pin - which was my problem. I couldn't figure out why it wasn't working until I saw this post. So again, a big thanks!

Sandy

The Sand 05-24-2009 12:11 AM

I did this for one Curve and it went fine. The other Curve I only get a few 3rd Party Apps backed up. Lots of them are missing. I am using the same computer (Vista) and the same DM (4.7) that worked perfectly for the first Curve. Any suggestions why it’s not backing everything up on the second Curve? Both Curves have 4.5 OS.

Thanks,
Sandy

The Sand 05-24-2009 06:48 PM

I backed up all the apps from the other Curve on another computer and it worked fine. Not sure what that ultimately means... why one computer did fine on one Curve but not the other. I have ceased a long time ago to try and figure out why software and/or computers do what they do.

Just glad it's done and if I have to do one Curve from one computer and the other Curve from another one - that's okay. Gratefully moving along now...

Thanks for these instructions...

Sandy

The Sand 06-21-2009 03:28 PM

This option no longer works...

I have DM 4.7 with the latest update and now backing up the 3rd party apps no longer works. I get a fatal error and then Windows says, "Handheld Application Loader Wizard has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you when a solution is found." This same error happened on all 3 Vista computers in the home. I had to use the XP to backup my apps. The XP is old so I don't want to rely on that computer to get this done.

Hoping someone here can figure out why this happened and a workaround for backing up the apps as this is a HUGE plus saving LOADS of time when going to a new device - or for restoring.

Please let us know if you find some kind of solution - me, and everybody else with Vista would be very grateful...

Sandy

tmurphy0919 06-28-2009 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Sand (Post 1390439)
I did this for one Curve and it went fine. The other Curve I only get a few 3rd Party Apps backed up. Lots of them are missing. I am using the same computer (Vista) and the same DM (4.7) that worked perfectly for the first Curve. Any suggestions why it’s not backing everything up on the second Curve? Both Curves have 4.5 OS.

Thanks,
Sandy

i'm not sure if it's the same for AT&T, but T-Mobile told me only one BB could be registered to one computer.

John Clark 06-28-2009 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmurphy0919
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Sand (Post 1390439)

Thanks,
Sandy

i'm not sure if it's the same for AT&T, but T-Mobile told me only one BB could be registered to one computer.

Absolutely false. Whoever told you that at TMobile was wrong and doesn't know what they are talking about.

The Sand 07-18-2009 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Sand (Post 1411538)
I have DM 4.7 with the latest update and now backing up the 3rd party apps no longer works. I get a fatal error and then Windows says, "Handheld Application Loader Wizard has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you when a solution is found." This same error happened on all 3 Vista computers in the home.

This was fixed by updating to Blackberry Desktop Manager 5.0 yesterday. I was notifed of it via automatic update. Very happy it's resolved...

Sandy

jgold47 10-01-2009 05:39 PM

I am switching from an 8330 with 5.0 os to an 8330 with 4.5 OS (new device - long story). I have been 'transfering' devices for almost 2.5 years now and with my new curve, I want to do a clean wipe and fresh install of 4.5, so I can customize whats on there. However, there is one app (texas holdem king 2) and one theme (that I can probably find) that I would like to transfer over. Everything else I will re-download, and I will transfer my contacts, etc... via sync. Will this allow me to only restore the one application and the theme to the phone, or is it all or nothing? Its not a huge deal, I can pretty much delete everything else off the phone before I back it up, but I dont want to do the automated transfer as I am leaving the company I have the one phone with and dont want it to try and reactivate the new phone on there BES.

Iare Tosevite 10-02-2009 12:31 PM

You can modify ALX file resulting from the third party software backup in order to include just what you want.

John Clark 10-03-2009 05:28 PM

After much frustration from having application skipped during this procedure I finally figured out the reason some apps get skipped.

I have added the following note to the original post:

Note: If you ever use one of these backups to restore an app or multiple apps back to your device you'll need to move the folder to a new location after restoring. If you leave it in the same location then the next time you perform this backup procedure any apps included in the original will not be backed up in the temp/yourpin folder since they are already recognized by Desktop Manager as being in another location. So, after restoring your app(s) simply move the pin folder to a new location, rename it or delete it.

Preroll 12-01-2009 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iare Tosevite (Post 1482092)
You can modify ALX file resulting from the third party software backup in order to include just what you want.

I went through the motions with this a few weeks back.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/afte...ml#post1505481

KayPhan 05-01-2010 01:17 AM

I am currently using the DM v4.6 running on Vista. I have tried everything and I still cannot find the folder with my BB pin. Where else can it be?

fonejunkie 05-01-2010 09:10 PM

It's usually in the TEMP folder...

On Win7:
/Users/{user}/AppData/Local/Temp

where {user} is the logon user name for the current logged on account.

KayPhan 05-02-2010 11:22 AM

I have tried to look for it multiple times in the temp folder and it's not there.

I type in "C:\Users\Kathy\AppData\Local\Temp\25B48A99" into the address bar and a message saying "Windows cannot find 'C:\Users\Kathy\AppData\Local\Temp\25B48A99'. Check the spelling and try again" pops up.

I did everything as instructed. Device switch wizard > check only third-party apps > next. Now I'm currently at the screen where I'm suppose to select the new device. I left it there, searched in the temp folder for the folder with my BB Pin#, and it's no where to be found.

daphne 05-02-2010 07:43 PM

You have to enable view hidden files and folders in Windows folder options for that to be visible. Maybe that's the problem.

KayPhan 05-05-2010 06:43 PM

How do I do that?

I've also tried using the search folder and selecting the box that says "Include non-indexed, hidden, and system files." No luck.

daphne 05-05-2010 09:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't have Vista but it may be the same as in XP.

Click Start button > Control Panel > Folder Options
Select the View tab, check the option that says Show Hidden Files and Folders.

Click Apply and OK to save.

See screenshot attached.

KayPhan 05-07-2010 11:17 PM

Just tried that. No luck.

DM is currently at this screen:
i41.tinypic.com/11cb3gg.jpg

Result of search:
i41.tinypic.com/16h52px.jpg
"25B48A99" being my BB pin

daphne 05-07-2010 11:27 PM

That's a few steps before the step where you look for the folder.

Quote:

Select USB: Your Pin. <------ the step shown in your screenshot.
Click “Next” and then enter your password if required.
Uncheck “User Data and Settings” and “Include Messages” leaving only “Third Party Applications checked.
Click “Next.”
When it’s finished backing up the apps, DO NOT click “Next” or “Cancel.” Leave that screen as it is and continue these instructions.
Search your computer files/folders for a folder labled with your pin number. Be sure and search in hidden and system files. Hint from BBF member NextelUser: Open Windows Explorer or My Computer and type in %temp% to find your temp folder with the folder labeled as your pin number.

You have to look for the folder after it's finished backing up the apps, not before.

daphne 05-07-2010 11:30 PM

And did you find the setting to show hidden files and folders?

Also, instead of using the search function, try to manually find the folder using Windows Explorer or just start with opening My Computer > C drive > Users > your username > AppData > Local > Temp

Ok, no Documents and Settings folder in Win 7

check this out for how to show hidden files and folders in Win 7.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...torial151.html

KayPhan 05-09-2010 01:39 PM

The step shown in my image is actually when it's done backing up the apps, and yes I found the setting to show the hidden files. Still no luck =\

daphne 05-09-2010 07:41 PM

I don't know what else to tell you, sorry. Maybe someone else has a solution for you.

John Clark 05-09-2010 10:38 PM

It looks like you're looking in the wrong temp folder.

You need to be looking in:

c:\documents and settings\username\local settings\temp

Sometimes the local settings folder is hidden. If you don't see it in the folder with your username, type it manually in the address bar at the top of the file explorer window. Then go to temp. There should be a folder in there with your pin. It's there, you're just missing it. You can search for it even when the switch device wizard is not running. If you've run it once, the folder will still be there, but it will be empty until you start the switch device wizard.

John Clark 05-09-2010 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iare Tosevite (Post 1482092)

Actually, I find it easier to just move the .cod files that I don't want installed to another folder. Then I load the pin.alx, it installs the apps I want. When I'm done, I restore the .cod files I moved and I move the entire folder to another location so the desktop manager will see the installed apps as wirelessly installed the next time. If you leave the folder after restoring then it won't back them up as wirelessly installed and they won't be in the pin folder next time. Hope that all makes sense.