BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   RIM Software (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Verizon 7250 EVDO - FINALLY - Modem For Laptop (For Some People Now) (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=19599)

evandt 11-26-2005 09:44 PM

Mine is working perfectly in baltimore md, EVDO completely free, got bill yesterday. I do NOT however have tethering so I'm assuming that is why I'm not being charged the $15 as stated above. two questions for you, please help as much as you can. 1- Will tethering work on a macintosh? I sync via USB and it works flawlessly but will it work as a modem? 2- I was on a call and tried browsing and got "cannot use web services while on phone call" how could this be true if EVDO is supposedly able to allow both? I get the 1XEV almost everywhere I am at all times. thank you in advance for any insight you give, feel free to message me directly if you don't feel it is proper to post here.
evan

PCW 11-27-2005 11:05 AM

Verizon EVDO map

If you're not sure your area has EVDO, check this map.
http://www.evdoinfo.com/EVDO/Info/EV...on_2005011127/

sidsub 11-27-2005 02:45 PM

Tethering without tethering plan

Okay, I have it working, never signed up for the $15 extra for tethering but am tethering anyway. Does someone know what I'll be charged for when I'm tethered? Do they count minutes off my plan or is there a separate data charge? (I have unlimited BlackBerry data).

KonTiki 11-27-2005 05:31 PM

There is a separate data charge, I am not sure but i heard someone day .015/kb. If you are going to be tethering a lot you might be better off using the $15 [lan, the other way they will bleed you dry in onr month alone. It will work without the plan but that is designed to get you to sign up for the plan.

LocoTk 11-27-2005 11:15 PM

I see 1XEV when I connect and also see an IP when I use the modem.
however would anyone know if the IP assigned is dynamic or static?

RichP 11-28-2005 09:57 AM

I lost my Voicemail speeddial since the upgrade(have to figure out how to get it back)...anyone notice the same or any other issues with 4.0.2?

I had the Data Connection Refused happen to me only once yesterday...rather than waste another 3 hrs on the phone with VZW I will deal with it and see if it goes away Dec 1.

Rich

jrsmooth 11-28-2005 10:41 AM

Browser icon missing

Anyone experienced this? I did the software upgrade, everything seems fine, but there is no "Browser" icon on the home page, I thought the application launcher didn't install the browser, so I went back and triple check, it says browser installed, version 4.02.41.

Any idea?

Dusty Saddle 11-28-2005 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrsmooth
Anyone experienced this? I did the software upgrade, everything seems fine, but there is no "Browser" icon on the home page, I thought the application launcher didn't install the browser, so I went back and triple check, it says browser installed, version 4.02.41.

Any idea?

What happens when you use the Browser shortcut b? Does it do anything?

jrsmooth 11-28-2005 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty Saddle
What happens when you use the Browser shortcut b? Does it do anything?

How do i do the shortcut? Alt+B, Press B or Hold down B?

Dusty Saddle 11-28-2005 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrsmooth
How do i do the shortcut? Alt+B, Press B or Hold down B?

While in your home screen just tap the b. This should take you to your browser, provided that it is installed and you have set Dial From Homescreen to NO in the Phone General Options.

twomblys 11-28-2005 01:46 PM

I live on teh fringe of ev-do apparently, and I go in and out of ev-do coverage. My battery goes down below 50% now after a day of doing almost nothing :(

mrpphung 11-28-2005 07:39 PM

Trying to use EVDO

Finally able to get evdo to display! First guy that answered was a moron! Now its time to test what it can do. I am a new verizon 7250 user and have been using Tmo for the past 3 years. It loks like web access is going through my BES as it did before. We have keywords running which restrict access to certain sites and I can't get to a page that has games. With tmobile, I could bypass the "web censor" and get on the web unrestricted via Tmobile's browser (seperate icon named Tzones). Does verizon have its own web browsing service or does all internet traffic have to go through the BES?

Arelia99 11-28-2005 09:22 PM

Earthlink and EVDO

I just saw this on www.engadget.com:

3. Posted Sep 15, 2005, 8:22 PM ET by Blackberryboy

"Hey guys, I work for earthlink wireless, our main product is the 7250, and yes they are set up for EVDO. We (the wireless carriers) just need to flip a switch so to say to turn on the EVDO ability on. The 8700 will be coming out for sale shortly however we do not have a set date! I will keep everyone informed as I find things out! If you have questions please feel free to ask me," (y)

I have the 7250 with earthlink so I hope it is true!

navyman 11-28-2005 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arelia99
I just saw this on www.engadget.com:

3. Posted Sep 15, 2005, 8:22 PM ET by Blackberryboy

"Hey guys, I work for earthlink wireless, our main product is the 7250, and yes they are set up for EVDO. We (the wireless carriers) just need to flip a switch so to say to turn on the EVDO ability on. The 8700 will be coming out for sale shortly however we do not have a set date! I will keep everyone informed as I find things out! If you have questions please feel free to ask me," (y)

I have the 7250 with earthlink so I hope it is true!

I contacted Earthlink Wireless tech support hoping to get the CSR to confirm at least tentative plans to activate EVDO and/or tethering capabilities in the Earthink 7250. Alas, he stated that Level II and III personnel he talked with during our phonecon did not have any or know of any information that would suggest any plans in the future to do so. I just hope he and those he talked to were simply clueless at the moment. I will pay the $175 termination fee to jump to Verizon wireless so I can get EVDO and tethering, that is, if Earthlink doesn't keep up with the competition. It would be strange for them not to keep competitive with the same product and network as Verizon.

navyman 11-28-2005 11:29 PM

Is this possible?

I just got off the phone with a Verizon Wireless CSR who told me that, even if I terminate my Earthlink Wireless contract, I would not be able to use an Earthlink BBY 7250 with Verizon Wireless because the device is "locked" and only Earthlink would be able to "unlock" it, that is, if they choose to do so.

Maybe I need a primer from someone here about what this means because logically, the same device that current uses leased Verizon network space should be able to be reprovisioned as a Verizon Wireless BBY...what am I not understanding? I paid for the BBY, so why should it be limited only to the Earthlink provisioning service if I no longer am a subscriber??? It almost sounds illegal...this "locking" scheme.

dementiDR 11-29-2005 02:05 AM

I called verizon tonight, requested Broadband access for my 7250, the woman knew exactly what I was talking about and upgraded my service without charge in under 5 minutes...easy! Nine months of waiting pays off!

Tim Koltek 11-29-2005 05:47 AM

I set it up for a friend on his BB. Long wait on hold, but no problem. The part I don't get is VZW announcing thir "first EvDo BB" coming out next month?

ChristopherRI 11-29-2005 08:29 AM

Did it yesterday. Downloaded all 3 pieces of software from smithmicro link, installed them in order. Called VZW and gave the CSR the 2 feature codes, including MNA13 because I wnt tethering. The 7250 software load took about 20. Everything is working great, I'm actually writing this from the tethered 7250 right now.

The only problem is the same as Hanwei's. I have a solid roaming indicator. I spoke to 3 CSRs last night and they said that based on what they could see, the phone was definately NOT roaming and I would not have roaming charges. If I did, they would credit them back. However, as was mentioned, this is a temporary fix.

PErhaps it is a firmware bug, or perhaps it is a market issue. I will say that my home market is Boston/Rhode Island, but I am currently in Florida when I did all of this and the roaming triangle came after I did the *22899. In any case, I'm hoping it clears up when I fly back into Boston this afternoon.

Other than that, Mark's FAQ is great, as always. The tethering worked like a snap with the VZAccess software. Finally!

KonTiki 11-29-2005 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristopherRI
Did it yesterday. Downloaded all 3 pieces of software from smithmicro link, installed them in order. Called VZW and gave the CSR the 2 feature codes, including MNA13 because I wnt tethering. The 7250 software load took about 20. Everything is working great, I'm actually writing this from the tethered 7250 right now.

The only problem is the same as Hanwei's. I have a solid roaming indicator. I spoke to 3 CSRs last night and they said that based on what they could see, the phone was definately NOT roaming and I would not have roaming charges. If I did, they would credit them back. However, as was mentioned, this is a temporary fix.

PErhaps it is a firmware bug, or perhaps it is a market issue. I will say that my home market is Boston/Rhode Island, but I am currently in Florida when I did all of this and the roaming triangle came after I did the *22899. In any case, I'm hoping it clears up when I fly back into Boston this afternoon.

Other than that, Mark's FAQ is great, as always. The tethering worked like a snap with the VZAccess software. Finally!

Interesting that Hanwei's market is also in the Boston area and he was in NYC when he had the roaming icon show up. Its beginning to look like whatever it is, is related to the Boston Market.

word2218 11-29-2005 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristopherRI

PErhaps it is a firmware bug, or perhaps it is a market issue.

I have the SAME exact issue. at work, I am in an EVDO area (nyc metro), but at home(upstate NY) I am not. at home I receive the roaming indicator next to my 1X, but at work I do not. I also know that at home I am in Verizon's native coverage, as I have another phone with Verizon there.

I do have another issue though - I came into work this morning, was getting emails all along my commute.. but once I hit the EVDO area, I got a "DATA CONNECTION REFUSED" message up top. I had to reboot to get it to go away. Is anyone else having this problem, and does anyone know what can be done about it?