BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   RIM Software (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Verizon 7250 EVDO - FINALLY - Modem For Laptop (For Some People Now) (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=19599)

rsun 11-21-2005 07:11 PM

Verizon 7250 EVDO - FINALLY - Modem For Laptop (For Some People Now)

Quote:

Edit by Mark Rejhon to add this quote:
For more information, see detailed instructions:
How To Enable EVDO BroadbandAccess On Version BlackBerry 7250
Our investment in the 7250 paid out, Verizon came out with firmware 4.0.2.41 and we just add the feature code added in and now I see 1XEV when I connect. When I get home have to test is a IP modem. They gave us VZAccess Software to configure it.

tomryan 11-21-2005 07:31 PM

Where did you get the software from and the feature code from?

please provide details.

thanks.

KonTiki 11-21-2005 08:16 PM

What is the feature code?

tomryan 11-21-2005 09:23 PM

Just call verizon and ask for broadband access connect.. supposedly its "free"..

thegallier 11-21-2005 09:35 PM

Called them. It will be available on the blackberrywebsite (i assume thats the verizon handheld download site) tomorrow morning.

LeoG 11-21-2005 09:38 PM

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7250/4.0.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

I read this earlier and called VZW and the tech support person I spoke to didn't have clue what I was talking about...go figure.

LeoG 11-21-2005 09:42 PM

Duplicate

Jase88 11-21-2005 09:57 PM

Wow.....I'm excited....
Of course I love my 7250 anyway--EVDO is just gravy...

KonTiki 11-21-2005 10:03 PM

Answered my own question sorry for the post.

jnelson2000 11-21-2005 10:04 PM

http://vzw.smithmicro.com/blackberry/vzw402

is the link

Jase88 11-21-2005 10:08 PM

Darn...you need a VZW phone number to access it....

Anyone test it on a non-VZW 7250 yet?

Joe1004 11-21-2005 10:16 PM

Contacting my rep

I have fired off an e-mail to my account rep to find out what the deal is with the "Broadband Access" addition to the account.

I can't put the software on mine yet. The darn cable is at work because I never need it!! In early in the morning, that I know!

Jase88 11-21-2005 10:34 PM

I believe "Broadband Access" allows you to tether to a laptop or computer for data access. It's a $15 option.

rsun 11-21-2005 10:59 PM

Yes, we had to pay an addition $15 on top of our unlimited BlackBerry/data plan.

supermanfan 11-21-2005 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsun
Yes, we had to pay an addition $15 on top of our unlimited BlackBerry/data plan.

For what? For a "Broadband Access" option to allow you to tether, or to simply allow your Blackberry to communicate on the EVDO network?

When I had a Verizon 7250 a few months back, my accounts (online) said unlimited BB/EVDO for $40 (combo voice/data for $79.99 deal).

So, do you have to pay extra for EVDO or only if you want to tether?

LeoG 11-21-2005 11:31 PM

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7250/4.0.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Will this update be available at Verizon stores?

LeoG 11-21-2005 11:31 PM

word2218 11-21-2005 11:34 PM

has anyone tried the software update with their vzw 7250 yet?

I called tonight and they said it was only supposed to be available with their b2b customers.. if you are not a b2b customer, and you update with the software.. you'll lose connectivity because they will be unable to update your account

dkmadrid 11-21-2005 11:58 PM

I am on the phone with VZW as I type and he has confirmed the EVDO firmware upgrade. You are not able to tether with this feature but it does enhance the browsing capabilities of the handheld along with the other features identified in the link above. There is no cost to add the BroadbandAccess Connect to your plan and it is NOT only for B2B customers. I'm getting set up now and will update in a moment with the outcome.

I'm excited like a kid on christmas...

tommyboy 11-22-2005 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeoG

Why would you want to go to the store when there is a link in this thread to it?

I heard that 12/1/05 the tethering option will be released to the rest of us and it will be an additional $15.

dkmadrid 11-22-2005 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommyboy
Why would you want to go to the store when there is a link in this thread to it?

I heard that 12/1/05 the tethering option will be released to the rest of us and it will be an additional $15.

Interesting, I will have to keep my eyes open for that. The desktop software upgrade is a monster (112Mb) to download, by the way.

KonTiki 11-22-2005 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkmadrid
I am on the phone with VZW as I type and he has confirmed the EVDO firmware upgrade. You are not able to tether with this feature but it does enhance the browsing capabilities of the handheld along with the other features identified in the link above. There is no cost to add the BroadbandAccess Connect to your plan and it is NOT only for B2B customers. I'm getting set up now and will update in a moment with the outcome.

I'm excited like a kid on christmas...

I agree 100% just installed my software activated the EVDO(sweet) and had a bit of an uphill with the vrizon rep because they had not been told the software was released however after a bit of work they managed to add the broadband option to my account(No charge I have unlimited) and everything is running well. No hitches whatsoever however it does erase some settings on ramble, bbweather, and a few others but minor. Check out the calculator, it does metric onvertions, sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

dkmadrid 11-22-2005 12:25 AM

Yeah, I think we have to cut the techs a little slack, although it doesn't seem right that I know more than they do because of this forum. The tech I spoke with didn't even know anything about this, he thought I was wanting to add the $79.99 BroadbandAccess Connect.

I'm working through the process, the BB's firmware is being upgraded. I can't wait, man...

aviationwiz 11-22-2005 12:57 AM

I updated my firmware, now I just have to call Verizon tomorrow and get the line item added. Then I assume it's just a *228 away from EV-DO from there.

dkmadrid 11-22-2005 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsun
Our investment in the 7250 paid out, Verizon came out with firmware 4.0.2.41 and we just add the feature code added in and now I see 1XEV when I connect. When I get home have to test is a IP modem. They gave us VZAccess Software to configure it.

Where exactly to you see the 1XEV? I don't show that on my home screen, although the 1X seems to be italicized now and in a different font.

KonTiki 11-22-2005 01:11 AM

Its right on the Home screen exactly where the 1X was before and now it says 1XEV, except you are right it is italicized.. And yes we knew more about this whole thing than the Techs did as I said I had to be scaled up the line twice to get to someone who knew how to activate the broadband part on their side. If it is not showing make sure that you activated the connection by doing *22899.

aviationwiz 11-22-2005 01:19 AM

Don't do a *228 without that EV provision/line item on your account. I did, and it downloaded the updated EV-DO PRL, but since I don't have the proper line item, it just displays "Data connection refused."

dlan 11-22-2005 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aviationwiz
Don't do a *228 without that EV provision/line item on your account. I did, and it downloaded the updated EV-DO PRL, but since I don't have the proper line item, it just displays "Data connection refused."

I did the same and now customer support said they can't help me because they don't have sufficient access to help tonight... they say i have to call back after 7:00 AM

Rushisawesome88 11-22-2005 01:56 AM

sprint 7250

Sprint seems to have just updated the firmware as well. Any word on EV-DO with sprint?

tommyboy 11-22-2005 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aviationwiz

That is interesting. It sounds like the same provisioning issue I read about with the windows mobile devices that are broadband capable. The device wants to connect to the broadband network but cannot because it does not have the right code on the account. It will not connect to national since it sees broadband.

It could be someting else. Have you tried a soft reset yet? Pulling the battery out will soft reset it.

cgroftmc 11-22-2005 07:45 AM

I have been on the phone with customer service for45 mins now. They cant get it to work. Is there anything that I need to tell them?

Craig

dlan 11-22-2005 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgroftmc
I have been on the phone with customer service for45 mins now. They cant get it to work. Is there anything that I need to tell them?

Craig

Same here

dlan 11-22-2005 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgroftmc

Craig

Let me know if they get yours to work and what they had to do.

AL904 11-22-2005 08:17 AM

I just checked the Earthlink Blackberry support page at Earthlink Blackberry Software upgrade , and there is no sign of an update for us.

We run on Verizon's network, so I have to think it will be available soon. Has anyone seen any Earthlink news?

BGCapt10 11-22-2005 08:18 AM

I just got off a three way with data technical support and customer service. It took some time with data technical support (I actually had to give them the firmware website on smithmicro because they thought I meant the Blackberry 7130); however, customer support knew exactly what I was talking about. They added the Blackberry Broadband Connect (no charge) to my account which required me to have the unlimited plan blackberry data plan. I didn't pay close attention, but I think the code started with 17***. Not sure how big their call center is or how it even works, but the CS's rep name was Tiffany.

-David

thegallier 11-22-2005 08:34 AM

Called customer support, they added it to the account, should be working somewhere today. Let's see.

stooley 11-22-2005 08:54 AM

Just got off the phone with them and they told me it is not available to consumers until Dec. 1st.....hmmmm

dkmadrid 11-22-2005 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KonTiki
Its right on the Home screen exactly where the 1X was before and now it says 1XEV, except you are right it is italicized.. And yes we knew more about this whole thing than the Techs did as I said I had to be scaled up the line twice to get to someone who knew how to activate the broadband part on their side. If it is not showing make sure that you activated the connection by doing *22899.

Interesting, I simply do not get the 1XEV on my home screen. It still says 1X but in a different font and italicized. I have done both the *228 and *22899 (which I had never heard of before) and removed the battery and still no change. I am experiencing much faster browser speeds so I feel like I'm access the EVDO network, not sure why my home screen isn't updating accordingly.

Anyone have any insight?

BGCapt10 11-22-2005 09:22 AM

Quote:

Interesting, I simply do not get the 1XEV on my home screen. It still says 1X but in a different font and italicized. I have done both the *228 and *22899 (which I had never heard of before) and removed the battery and still no change. I am experiencing much faster browser speeds so I feel like I'm access the EVDO network, not sure why my home screen isn't updating accordingly.

Anyone have any insight?

One other thing the Data Support Team told me to do once I was activated was to go under the HRT under options. Click on the first entry and do a "Register Now".

-David

BB_WayCool 11-22-2005 09:50 AM

Here we go. Upgraded my 7250 very carefully and all went well. Actually got some emails in when the upgrade completed. 1X was still there, so I did a *228/1 to update the program and now I get data connection refused. I suspect that my broadband access was not added properly. Customer service told me that it was not an add on feature, but a replace for the old unlimited plan at the same price....whatever. When my BB finally reboots, I will be on the phone with support, who chances are will either not know what is going on or can't help because something hasn't been enabled. I have dealt with Verizon Wireless before and always on the bleeding edge. There is a lot of pain, but once things get set right, it runs. Will update when complete.

Dusty Saddle 11-22-2005 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BB_WayCool
Here we go. Upgraded my 7250 very carefully and all went well. Actually got some emails in when the upgrade completed. 1X was still there, so I did a *228/1 to update the program and now I get data connection refused. I suspect that my broadband access was not added properly. Customer service told me that it was not an add on feature, but a replace for the old unlimited plan at the same price....whatever. When my BB finally reboots, I will be on the phone with support, who chances are will either not know what is going on or can't help because something hasn't been enabled. I have dealt with Verizon Wireless before and always on the bleeding edge. There is a lot of pain, but once things get set right, it runs. Will update when complete.

Instead of dialing *228 Dial *22899 to get connected.

tomryan 11-22-2005 09:51 AM

I wonder if Verizon released as expected to get a jump on Cingulars 8700.. From what I understand, EVDO is leaps and bounds ahead of EDGE and this move clearly gives Verizon the step up in high speed connections.

Besides the (obvious) international capabilities of the 8700, for a CDMA (read USA/Canda) use only, what advantages (sans 4.1 which I imagine the 7250 will get sometime soon) does the 8700 have that make it a worthwhile device?

I believe krad stated that once you got used to the 8700, it was after all a blackberry, if that is true.. it would seem that the 7250 evdo is the better option.

Thoughts?

Dusty Saddle 11-22-2005 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BGCapt10
I just got off a three way with data technical support and customer service. It took some time with data technical support (I actually had to give them the firmware website on smithmicro because they thought I meant the Blackberry 7130); however, customer support knew exactly what I was talking about. They added the Blackberry Broadband Connect (no charge) to my account which required me to have the unlimited plan blackberry data plan. I didn't pay close attention, but I think the code started with 17***. Not sure how big their call center is or how it even works, but the CS's rep name was Tiffany.

-David

David,

Code is 71764

cgroftmc 11-22-2005 09:54 AM

I finally got it to work. My problem was the blackberry was timing out during authentication. It took about 20 min with a 2nd tier data person. I have the 10mb plan and was told that there is no extra charge. We will see.

Craig

BGCapt10 11-22-2005 10:08 AM

I've also been able to tether with the VZW Access Manager on the SmithMicro site. It puts the blackberry into a Wireless Modem Mode (banner at the top). Now here's the real question, is it MOU or included in our data plans.

-David

BB_WayCool 11-22-2005 10:12 AM

It always has to happen to someone. I think I am up the creek without a paddle. After getting data connection refused, I took the battery out to reboot and have the hourglass going now for a good 15 minutes, which even for this device is too long and that is on my second try. Will call VZW support, but will probably have to take it in for a manual reload.

dkmadrid 11-22-2005 10:18 AM

Quote:

Not sure if this is your problem, but you should've done a *228/2, not *228/1. I think option one is for programming a brand new phone.

stonent 11-22-2005 10:20 AM

Ok, got it done. Here's the how-to. Call 866-788-9387 Select Option 2 Option 2 Option 2

Tell them you want to add BroadbandAccess Connect. The feature code is 71764 no additional charge. Basically 71764 replaces the standard BB Unlimited code from what I understood.

Load the 4.0.2 software. When the phone comes up, it will say DATA CONNECTION REFUSED. The EVDO won't take effect until you do a *22899 which tells the phone to download the new feature code. Once connected, do a Register Now to make the phone download the new Preferred Roaming List which will tell the phone to roam into EVDO first and 1xRTT second.

I won't be able to try this for a while though. Our only 7250 user is a regional VP

stonent 11-22-2005 10:21 AM

Quote:

It always has to happen to someone. I think I am up the creek without a paddle. After getting data connection refused, I took the battery out to reboot and have the hourglass going now for a good 15 minutes, which even for this device is too long and that is on my second try. Will call VZW support, but will probably have to take it in for a manual reload.

After big software updates the phone typically takes 30 minutes to reboot.

esemay 11-22-2005 10:24 AM

Have any consumers had luck getting this added? The reps are sticking with this is a business only feature and will be release to consumers 1st Q 2006.

dkmadrid 11-22-2005 10:26 AM

Quote:

One other thing the Data Support Team told me to do once I was activated was to go under the HRT under options. Click on the first entry and do a "Register Now".

-David

Thanks for the advice, didn't help. I still don't see 1XEV on my home screen. It looks like I may have to call VZW back.

I had the BroadbandAccess Connect added to my account, then downloaded the desktop manager software v4.1, then installed the firmware upgrade. I then did both a *228/2 and a *22899, followed David's advice above and registered the first entry in the HRT, have removed the battery several times and still do not get the 1XEV on my home screen.

Does anybody see any steps I am missing before I call tech support? I bet they're getting hit with a lot of calls today, the vast majority from BBForum community members!

dkmadrid 11-22-2005 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esemay
Have any consumers had luck getting this added? The reps are sticking with this is a business only feature and will be release to consumers 1st Q 2006.

Yeah, got it added first call. It's the same price as VZW's current BB unlimited data plan but has the BroadbandConnect Access feature included. So in reality, you are in essence "changing" your data plan from the BB unlimited data plan to the BB unlimited data plan w/BroadbandConnect Access, that's how it was explained to me. And believe me, if your rep is saying it is a business-only feature, he/she is either completely wrong, or a good deal of us snuck by this requirement. Keep trying, you may need to move up the hierarchy a bit and speak to someone with some clout.

stooley 11-22-2005 10:33 AM

Does anyone have the I2K Code?

BGCapt10 11-22-2005 10:34 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the advice, didn't help. I still don't see 1XEV on my home screen. It looks like I may have to call VZW back.

I had the BroadbandAccess Connect added to my account, then downloaded the desktop manager software v4.1, then installed the firmware upgrade. I then did both a *228/2 and a *22899, followed David's advice above and registered the first entry in the HRT, have removed the battery several times and still do not get the 1XEV on my home screen.

Does anybody see any steps I am missing before I call tech support? I bet they're getting hit with a lot of calls today, the vast majority from BBForum community members!

I guess I have to ask the obvious question, are you currently in an area covered by EVDO?

-David

esemay 11-22-2005 10:35 AM

2nd time is a charm. Here in NY the feature code is MNAI3. Downloading the software now - hopefully it works.

dkmadrid 11-22-2005 10:39 AM

Quote:

I guess I have to ask the obvious question, are you currently in an area covered by EVDO?

-David

You would think that's an obvious question that I would have already answered for myself, but I had not.

I checked the BroadbandAccess coverage and my home city is not included. Looks like its only major US cities that are currently covered. I am assuming that Broadband Access and EVDO are synonymous, someone please correct me if I am wrong.

If so, that explains it. What's interesting is that if I'm not in the coverage area my browsing speed has still increased. I'll be making a trip to Denver, CO in the next few days, that will tell me for sure.

dkmadrid 11-22-2005 10:41 AM

Quote:

2nd time is a charm. Here in NY the feature code is MNAI3. Downloading the software now - hopefully it works.

When you say feature code, are you talking about the code you would give the VZW tech so they would know what to add to your data plan (BroadbandAccess feature code)?

Glad you got it working!

stonent 11-22-2005 10:42 AM

I declare this thread needs to be stickied!

stooley 11-22-2005 10:45 AM

Quote:

This is the code that the tech added to mine as well. We are working on it still though. Says I am still showing a 1x profile.

dkmadrid 11-22-2005 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stooley
This is the code that the tech added to mine as well. We are working on it still though. Says I am still showing a 1x profile.

Where in NY are you located?

I think I'm having some problems because I live in Colorado, but Denver is the only city that appears to have BroadbandAccess coverage. May be the same issue for you, not sure. I'll probably make a call here soon to VZW so I can lay this whole thing to rest and know where I stand.

stonent 11-22-2005 10:54 AM

Maybe we need to figure out what these differing feature codes do.

stooley 11-22-2005 10:54 AM

Quote:

Where in NY are you located?

I think I'm having some problems because I live in Colorado, but Denver is the only city that appears to have BroadbandAccess coverage. May be the same issue for you, not sure. I'll probably make a call here soon to VZW so I can lay this whole thing to rest and know where I stand.

I am in IL, STL Metro

word2218 11-22-2005 10:59 AM

Quote:

i called and just said that I had downloaded the software, and it was giving me a data connection refused error. the rep added "EVDO Allowance" to my plan, and now everything seems to be working smoothly. I get faster browsing speeds, even though I'm in a fringe area.

there is a difference bt. 1x, 1X, and 1XEV. just fyi for the guy thats in CO. 1X I assume is faster than 1x, which is what everyone was operating on before the update.

dkmadrid 11-22-2005 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stooley
I am in IL, STL Metro

LOL, sorry! It was your post but I was reading esamay's quote. Were they able to get it to work for you?

animlmed 11-22-2005 11:03 AM

Besides EVDO (THE most important feature) has anyone noticed any other differences? ie, better microphone selectivity, different themes, etc?

word2218 11-22-2005 11:04 AM

oh one more thing - I'm located in Westchester, NY. I'll be in manhattan tomorrow, so I'll let everyone know what its like there.

so far, what I've noticed is that the 7250's hourglass appears a lot more, and it says loading at the bottom (no arrows at the top.. only in the first few seconds).. this makes me think that the processor is now the limiting factor, and the network is plenty fast enough to keep up with it now.

also, has anyone confirmed whether voice calls take precedence over data now? I tried calling my phone a few times while using verichat, and it always rings, as opposed to before, when it would go to voicemail 50% of the time. I just want to confirm that other people have experienced this as well.. if so I can leave on verichat 24/7!!!!

woot woot

word2218 11-22-2005 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by animlmed
Besides EVDO (THE most important feature) has anyone noticed any other differences? ie, better microphone selectivity, different themes, etc?

there is the MUCH improved calculator.. also, theres another program called password keeper that securely stores your passwords.

so far, in my 30 min phone call with verizon, the bluetooth seems to work about the same, speaker loudness seems to be the same.. not sure about microphone selectivity - I'm at a quiet office now

dkmadrid 11-22-2005 11:10 AM

Quote:

There is also the feature to now create recurring tasks, which is great. Also, all PIM functions can be further defined by category. Calculator is a big improvement, but I can't say I've noticed a difference in the speaker/microphone yet.

lraed74 11-22-2005 11:30 AM

Just did the upgrade and *22899 - BOOM 1XEV :smile: :smile:

Did some surfing and WAY faster, real nice...<does the happy dance>

animlmed 11-22-2005 11:33 AM

I had 1XEV come up on the phone and now, it is terlling me data connection refused and there is a 1x now....

stonent 11-22-2005 11:38 AM

Quote:

I had 1XEV come up on the phone and now, it is terlling me data connection refused and there is a 1x now....

Did you follow my How-To?

stooley 11-22-2005 11:39 AM

Yea, I talked with the tech and he added (EVDSB) BROADBANDACCESS SER and (MNAI1) BBA CONNECT UNL DAT ( $ 30.00 )

The $30 package is suppose to allow me to use it with VZAccess Manager for a tethered solution....We will see.

animlmed 11-22-2005 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stonent
Did you follow my How-To?

The only thing I did not follow was this:

do a Register Now to make the phone download the new Preferred Roaming List which will tell the phone to roam into EVDO first and 1xRTT second.

When does it allow me to do that option? When I connect to *22899 it begins to do things automatically.

stonent 11-22-2005 11:50 AM

Quote:

do a Register Now to make the phone download the new Preferred Roaming List which will tell the phone to roam into EVDO first and 1xRTT second.

When does it allow me to do that option? When I connect to *22899 it begins to do things automatically.

Wrench > Host Routing Table > Click > Register now

dkmadrid 11-22-2005 11:53 AM

Quote:

It's the first value in the Host Routing Table found in the Options menu. Clickwheel it and select 'Register Now'.

animlmed 11-22-2005 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stonent
Wrench > Host Routing Table > Click > Register now

Boy do i feel dumb, but I'm going to ask another dumb one...

There are a number of ones to choose from the list to activate. Do i choose the top one? (Verizon 240) Or is there one from the list that would be best?

Edit: well, I guess that answers my question! I'm in the process of doing it now. Will see what happens...

animlmed 11-22-2005 12:04 PM

OK, here is what I have done so far: I called verizon and Had them add code 71764 to my account. I updated the phones software and had it say 1XEV for a moment, then flash to 1x (little x) and say data connection refused. I called *22899 and once connected, selected Wrench > Host Routing Table > Click > Register now and picked the first one in the list (Verizon 240). It told me update successful and then I did a reset on the phone. I turn the phone on and then it flashed 1XEV for a moment and goes right back to 1x (data connection refused). Any thoughts on what to do now?

stonent 11-22-2005 12:15 PM

Quote:

OK, here is what I have done so far: I called verizon and Had them add code 71764 to my account. I updated the phones software and had it say 1XEV for a moment, then flash to 1x (little x) and say data connection refused. I called *22899 and once connected, selected Wrench > Host Routing Table > Click > Register now and picked the first one in the list (Verizon 240). It told me update successful and then I did a reset on the phone. I turn the phone on and then it flashed 1XEV for a moment and goes right back to 1x (data connection refused). Any thoughts on what to do now?

Call back to data support on the number above and have them check it out.

aviationwiz 11-22-2005 01:12 PM

I called them up today and had them add the Broadband Access provision to my account, just for EV on my Berry, not tethering.

Took about 25 minutes on the phone (most of it on hold,) but they got it done, and it works like a charm.

KonTiki 11-22-2005 01:17 PM

Quote:

It took 27 minutes for me to finish the upgrade so 15 is not out of the uestion, we have to learn patience when upgrading the initial reaction is to take the battery out in the middle of it and that can cause more problems that it can fix, put it down let it be and it will eventually be happy.

KonTiki 11-22-2005 01:20 PM

Quote:

I am a consumer and have had it working since midnight last night just do this exactly as you see it:

Ok, got it done. Here's the how-to. Call 866-788-9387 Select Option 2 Option 2 Option 2

Tell them you want to add BroadbandAccess Connect. The feature code is 71764 no additional charge. Basically 71764 replaces the standard BB Unlimited code from what I understood.

Load the 4.0.2 software. When the phone comes up, it will say DATA CONNECTION REFUSED. The EVDO won't take effect until you do a *22899 which tells the phone to download the new feature code. Once connected, do a Register Now to make the phone download the new Preferred Roaming List which will tell the phone to roam into EVDO first and 1xRTT second.

Mark Rejhon 11-22-2005 01:22 PM

I want to update my modem FAQ.

1. When configured properly, does it say "EVDO" on your 7250 where it used to say "1X"?
2. Try my modem FAQ. Does it work? What changes are needed to my modem FAQ, specifically for Verizon?

KonTiki 11-22-2005 01:22 PM

Quote:

Maybe there arent any EVDO enabled towers near you remember that this has not been a national release as far as I know, I am in NJ and it is working fine here.

animlmed 11-22-2005 01:26 PM

You will love this. Verizon Tech support doesn't know their tushie from a whole in the ground. They had me do a soft reset, a (gasp!) hard reset and had me mess with some settings and they still cannot get it to work. They are bumping me up to engineering because "something must be wrong with my phone". They were like, "have you ever had internet on this phone?" and I was like, yeah, until I called y'all and did the upgrade.

KonTiki 11-22-2005 01:26 PM

Quote:

Look at your calculator it is improved greatly.

KonTiki 11-22-2005 01:29 PM

Quote:

You are probably in a fringe area and it drifts in and out. I bet if you reboot you will get it back, maybe finds a better tower.

Mark Rejhon 11-22-2005 01:30 PM

Let me make a first crack at writing official BlackBerryForums instructions on activating Verizon BroadbandAccess EVDO on a BlackBerry 7250:

How To Enable EVDO BroadbandAccess on Verizon BlackBerry 7250 or 7130
(VERSION 9)

WARNING: This is confirmed working for Verizon business users at this time. Consumer users can make this work, but you may have to escalate the issue with Verizon. Non-business users of a Verizon BlackBerry should read this post now first. If you are a consumer user, you may able to activate this feature AT YOUR OWN RISK - There is no guarantee - You MAY lose service. That being said, there are success reports by some (but not all) consumers.
  1. Call Verizon 866-788-9387
    Select Option 2, Option 2, Option 2
  2. Configure Your BlackBerry Account With Verizon
    When somebody answers, say that you want to add "BroadbandAccess Connect" to your account. If they understand this, they will configure the account automatically for you. On the other hand, if you reach somebody who does not understand fully, help them by the following:
    (A) Say you want feature code EVDSB. This will enable enable EVDO.
    (B) If you use voice and data, say you want feature code MNAI 3 for tethering.
    (C) If you use data only, say you want feature code MNAI 1 for tethering.

Important Note: Simply enabling EVDO using the code EVDSB is free. However, using the MNAI codes will cost an extra $15 per month if you want to tether your BlackBerry to a laptop. In certain states, some people have supplied codes 71764 or 71904 but these should not be necessary.
    If Verizon Customer Service says this feature is not available yet, politely tell them that the VERIZON WEBSITE says it is available - give them this link: http://vzw.smithmicro.com/blackberry/vzw402 where it says BroadbandAccess is now available for BlackBerry 7250 today.
  3. Upgrade Your PC To BlackBerry Desktop To Version 4.1 or later.
    Download this upgrade from http://vzw.smithmicro.com/blackberry/vzw402. Install this on the laptop or PC you plan to use your BlackBerry on.
  4. Upgrade Your BlackBerry To BlackBerryOS 4.0.2.41 or later.
    Also download this upgrade from http://vzw.smithmicro.com/blackberry/vzw402. Download to the same laptop or desktop PC, and install this OS while your BlackBerry is connected to your computer by USB cable.
    Note: This step might not be necessary for 7130 or newer 7250's sold in 2006. You can verify by going to Options->About on your BlackBerry to check your BlackBerryOS version number.
  5. Boot Your BlackBerry - It May Take 30 Minutes
    After installing the BlackBerryOS upgrade, it may take 30 minutes to boot. After you install the newest BlackBerryOS, your BlackBerry will say "Data Connection Refused". Follow the next step to fix this.
  6. Enable EVDO on Your BlackBerry
    Dial the telephone number *22899 including the asterik before the five numbers. This automatically tells your BlackBerry to download the new feature.
  7. Re-Register Your BlackBerry
    On your BlackBerry, go to Options->Host Routing Table->Register Now
  8. You Now Have EVDO on Your BlackBerry
    In your home screen, you will have "1XEV" instead of "1X" at the top if you are inside a major urban center covered with Verizon BroadbandAccess EVDO reception.
  9. Using BlackBerry As Modem For Laptop
    Download VZAccess from http://vzw.smithmicro.com/download/ and install on your laptop. This allows you to use your BlackBerry 7250 as a wireless highspeed modem! The modem feature will still work on 1X even if you are not in an EVDO reception area.
  10. Alternative Modem Feature
    If you do not want to run VZAccess, there are alternative, more complicated instructions, that can be found at HOWTO: Use BlackBerry As Modem For Laptop. It is not absolutely necessary to use VZAccess, as a user reported it also works without VZAccess on both the 1X and 1XEVDO networks.
  11. Note: These instructions are VERSION 9
    Many success reports now exist with these instructions.
    Corrections will be made to these instructions on an ongoing basis.
    These instructions WILL NOT work on any 7750.
    These instructions PROBABLY WILL work on a Verizon 7130.
    These instructions DO NOT YET work on Sprint or Bell Mobility 7250.
  12. Possible Problem: If BlackBerry Randomly Switches Between 1x, 1X, 1XEV or "Connection Refused"
    Go to phone, enter ##000000 and hit dial. That is two pound marks followed by six zeros. You will see a screen. Scroll to where it says SIP Password, then type vzw in the password field. Also verify that all three usernames are <phone number>@vzw3g.com on this screen. Then select Save, and Restart.

flytags 11-22-2005 01:38 PM

Just thought I'd throw a quick note in here. I spent 45 minutes on the phone with a data support technician, who was working with a customer service rep. They had all kinds of problems activating BroadbandAccess Connect on my account. After 45 minutes of waiting on hold, the data support guy got back on the phone and informed me that he just received a brief from his supervisor that this service is unavailable for non-business consumers until Q1 2006. Basically January.

D'oh! Oh well, I guess I can wait another couple months. :-)

jlopatin 11-22-2005 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon
Let me make a first crack at writing official BlackBerryForums instructions on activating Verizon BroadbandAccess EVDO on a BlackBerry 7250:

.[*]Follow Mark Rejhon's BlackBerry Modem FAQ
If you want to connect your laptop to use your BlackBerry 7250 as a wireless highspeed modem, follow these instructions at this address:
HOWTO: Use BlackBerry As Modem For Laptop

In order to tether, you need to install and run Verizon's VZAccess software. It does all the setup for you.

Then you run VZAccess, and click the connect button.

This should be all you need to update your FAQ, Mark!

-j

Mark Rejhon 11-22-2005 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlopatin
In order to tether, you need to install and run Verizon's VZAccess software. It does all the setup for you.
Then you run VZAccess, and click the connect button.
This should be all you need to update your FAQ, Mark!
-j

Most tether software simply automate stuff that's already been done in carrier dialer software (such as VZAccess). That doesn't mean my FAQ wouldn't work once VZAccess worked.

Has any VZAccess user also followed my FAQ?

I'll update my FAQ to tell Verizon users to simply download VZAccess, but I wanted to see if the long instructions also works.

Also, edited my howto with new information so far.

Let me know, and thanks!

jlopatin 11-22-2005 01:53 PM

it does set up a dial up connection, but it also installs the Venturi client, which is supposed to help speed up access. I'm not paying the extra $15 right now, so I was unable to do much advanced testing. I logged on, and went to a couple of sites. I assume I will be charged an arm and a leg for this. But I had to try it!

As for just setting up a dial up connection, your current instructions should work as well.

psuwtb 11-22-2005 01:55 PM

Sprint?

Any word from any Sprint users if EVDO has gone live as well, or will be coming very very soon now that VZW bit the bulllet?

word2218 11-22-2005 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon
I want to update my modem FAQ.

1. When configured properly, does it say "EVDO" on your 7250 where it used to say "1X"?
2. Try my modem FAQ. Does it work? What changes are needed to my modem FAQ, specifically for Verizon?

1 - it works on both EVDO and 1X.. it'll say either 1X or 1XEV.. along the top banner of the home screen it'll say something like Modem Mode

2 - I haven't looked at your FAQ, but you need to download the VZ Access Manager software, and configure it that way - it should set up everything properly. Don't know how to get around it any other way

KonTiki 11-22-2005 02:16 PM

I guess one cant be greedy but all I have left to accomplish to do the happy, happy, HAPPY dance is to install the themes I have created, but I have EVDO and I can also use the phone as a modem, so for now, its just the happy, happy dance. So for the people spending hundreds on the 8700c and r, here is looking at you kids.:-)

animlmed 11-22-2005 02:19 PM

No one at Verizon seems to know what is going on with my phone.....

animlmed 11-22-2005 02:24 PM

Now they tel me my phone is not a broadband access capable phone. Gotta love 'em!

thegallier 11-22-2005 02:28 PM

I would leave the long instructions for now. The dialer keeps on trying to acces VZW Broadband even when you are disconnected from blackberry and hooked up to internet via other means. Quite annoying.

LarsenNET 11-22-2005 02:29 PM

I am a business customer in Indiana. I just called the 866 number listed above and told them to add the code 71764 for the BroadbandAccess Connect feature. I am told that code does not work in my billing area. I said ok how about MNAI3? They said that code works but it will be a $15 charge to add it to the account. They have no way to add EVDO support without MNAI3 and charging the $15. If someone knows how to get around this please let me know.

At this point a generic FAQ isn’t good enough yet.

lenemery 11-22-2005 02:37 PM

a different vzn cust svce rep tried code 71904 which had same description as the other code. but, then still cant authentication problems, so maybe that code only works for certain groups of users like employees or enterprise

BB_WayCool 11-22-2005 02:44 PM

It took a bunch more time than I would have ever thought reasonable and of course it is not documented that the boot takes 1/2 hour and since tech support wasn't even aware of the upgrade when I called, I assumed that my BB had left the planet. All is up and 1XEX is steady after updating my roaming with *228 option 2. Sweet.