BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General BlackBerry Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Wi-Fi without a Data Plan? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=239062)

cciot 10-30-2010 02:10 PM

Wi-Fi without a Data Plan?

Hi guys,

I don't yet have a BlackBerry, and I definitely would like one. However, I am not sure if it is possible to use Wi-Fi on the BlackBerry without a data plan (I really don't feel like paying extra for it, since I've always done with just Wi-Fi!)

So, is it possible? I'm looking at either getting an 8520, 9700, or the Torch 9800. I'm in the UK, but I don't know if that makes a difference!

Help?

Dubdub 10-30-2010 02:18 PM

Depends upon your cell carrier and what services you plan to access. Some carriers will not push the WiFi service book unless you have the BB data plan. Since you did not list a carrier, it is hard to say whther yours will or not.

However, you MUST have a BB data plan for the various RIM related services such as email, BBM, maps, BB browser, Facebook, BB App World, some IM programs, etc.

Motorcycle Mama 10-30-2010 02:54 PM

If you don't "feel" like paying for data, you probably would be better served by a device other than a BlackBerry.

Calebrity 10-30-2010 02:55 PM

it used to work if you didn't have the SIM card in the device but not sure if that is still in effect with RIMS changes to allow BBM, email and others pass through the wifi

vliou 10-30-2010 06:53 PM

I honestly never understood why some choose to have a BB but don't have the plan...that's like buying a nice car and not filling it with gasoline...but that's just me..:)

akosnitzky 10-30-2010 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vliou (Post 1669497)
I honestly never understood why some choose to have a BB but don't have the plan...that's like buying a nice car and not filling it with gasoline...but that's just me..:)

Strongly agreed. Although there are some that just want to text (SMS).

sugar 11-01-2010 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vliou (Post 1669497)

TMobile offers a data plan with emails only.
This is what BB was delivering initially: prompt and secure email and that is a great service in itself.;-)
On this plan, you also get full access to BBM and GTalk.(y)
Not everyone needs constant internet access. And if you occasionally do, you can connect to wifi and have access to the web.

Calebrity 11-01-2010 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugar (Post 1669870)
TMobile offers a data plan with emails only.
This is what BB was delivering initially: prompt and secure email and that is a great service in itself.;-)
On this plan, you also get full access to BBM and GTalk.(y)
Not everyone needs constant internet access. And if you occasionally do, you can connect to wifi and have access to the web.

Rogers offered to different plans like this one that is BBM and email, and the other being the Social networks and BBM

cobo808 11-02-2010 01:37 PM

As mentioned on the other thread about this, Wifi is not sufficient for access.

knottyrope 11-02-2010 02:59 PM

Social Scope works on wifi if you can get an invite

mekesavan 11-02-2010 07:46 PM

You didn't mention your carrier. In US, all smart phones require data plan, though they have WiFi option to connect the internet. Dude, it's the way to run business

Motorcycle Mama 11-03-2010 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mekesavan (Post 1670471)
You didn't mention your carrier. In US, all smart phones require data plan, though they have WiFi option to connect the internet. Dude, it's the way to run business

Not true.

TMobile will currently allow a BlackBerry to be active on their network without a data plan.

Plus, the OP indicated that he is in the UK.

HeXxTek 11-03-2010 09:40 AM

Mekesavan, AT&T will allow you to have a smartphone without a data plan. Altho it is pretty useless.

penguin3107 11-03-2010 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeXxTek (Post 1670667)
Mekesavan, AT&T will allow you to have a smartphone without a data plan. Altho it is pretty useless.

Not anymore they don't.
AT&T now does IMEI sweeps of active devices and if their system sees a BlackBerry without a data plan, it's automatically added and billed.