BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   RIM Software (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Advanced Restore Address Book Greyed Out (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=211782)

cgrosvenor 11-25-2009 07:49 AM

Advanced Restore Address Book Greyed Out

I need to restore the address book from a blackberry 8700 to a blackberry 8310, it is greyed out and desktop manager says "Databases that are unavailable in the list have been configured for wireless synchronization or wireless backup and are readonly". Both devices are setup on BIS not BES, somepeople seem to suggest deleting the desktop sync service but this does not exist.

How can I get around this problem?

Thanks

JSanders 11-25-2009 09:40 AM

That is normally what is required. You've looked in your Service Books and see nothing like that?

cgrosvenor 11-25-2009 09:47 AM

Yes cannot see anything like that

SteveO86 11-27-2009 10:50 PM

Very Odd..
Is their any service book with [SYNC] after it at all it may not actually say "Desktop[SYNC]".

You've done the normal battery pull?

dudermont 12-10-2009 12:57 AM

Go to your address book and check that you do not have wireless synchronization on. I selected my email address under options and I had Wireless synchronization checked off. When I unchecked it I could restore my address book.

qfunk24 02-01-2010 06:48 PM

Same issue here

Hey guys, having the same issue here. I backed up an old device and have a new one that I'd like to restore the address book to, but it's greyed out in the desktop manager. The new device hasn't been activated, there's no service book to delete, and there's no wireless sync option in the address book.

It's really crucial that I recover my contacts and I'm about to lose go nuts with this issue... Seems to be a really common problem and I have no idea why none of the carriers, nor RIM, can correct this.

Any help you can provide is much appreciated!!!

chemeng47 02-02-2010 05:58 PM

I've got the same problem. I'm going from a Bold to Bold 9700 and I'm on BIS. I don't have wireless synchronization selected on the Bold (and can't find it in the service book) and I can't even find the option on the Bold 9700. I am missing a number of contacts as I embarrassingly discovered today when I was supposed to conference two parties together and didn't have a number. Strangely enough desktop manager shows that there are more contacts on the Bold 9700 than I had on the last backup on the Bold. If anyone has any thoughts I'm getting desperate.

qfunk24 02-02-2010 06:18 PM

SOLUTION!!! sorta...

BlackBerry support couldn't help me, after a few hours of troubleshooting. Seems to be an IT policy either with the original device (BES) or with the new one that I have that was once activated on a BES. Even after wiping it and restoring the IT policy, still having the same issue....

I found, after hours of research online, that there's a workaround. You have to download the ABC Amber BlackBerry Converter software which pulls the data out of the BlackBerry backup file (.ipd file) and exports it into a number of formats, including DIRECTLY TO OUTLOOK. This is the fix. I was able to pull out my address book from the backup file, restore to Outlook, then sync up with the new BlackBerry device. Just know that it costs $20 for a license to use the full software and you need Outlook, though it doesn't have to be set up with an account.

SO the forums isn't allow me to post links since I haven't commented enough, but search online for "ABC Amber BlackBerry Converter" and you'll find it. It's made by a company called ProcessText Group.

Worked like a charm for me, and the $20 was worth all the important personal and business contacts that I've built up.

This seriously was a nightmare and I can't believe RIM doesn't have a solution for the thousands of us with this issue.

fnavc 02-22-2010 06:31 AM

My Solution

I fixed this problem going to:

Address Book --> Menu button --> Options --> Address Book Options (Desktop) -->

From the Address Book Properties window, change the setting "Wireless Synchronization" to NO

BB 8310
;-)

ra1980us 05-31-2010 05:12 AM

Pins Greyed Out.

Hi.
I got bold 9700 some days before.i transfer data from my bold 9000 to bold9700.all is done well but when i check bbm half of the pins are grayed out and i cnt even receive or send messages to them.pin no. are displayed instead of their names.and some of them ask to re-invite them options.if i delete greyed out pins and add them again, that use don't get my pin request,and if he gets request and accept then it shows status in pending.and even that pin dont gets added in my bbm.please help.
regards,
Rajan.

ra1980us 05-31-2010 05:13 AM

Hi.
I got bold 9700 some days before.i transfer data from my bold 9000 to bold9700.all is done well but when i check bbm half of the pins are grayed out and i cnt even receive or send messages to them.pin no. are displayed instead of their names.and some of them ask to re-invite them options.if i delete greyed out pins and add them again, that use don't get my pin request,and if he gets request and accept then it shows status in pending.and even that pin dont gets added in my bbm.please help.
regards
Rajan

st8ofmi9d 07-23-2010 02:51 PM

The same problem popped up for me today. For me the issue was google sync. I guess when I upgraded to a newer version it locked my address book or something. I hope that this can help others.

SteveO86 07-24-2010 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fnavc (Post 1569143)
I fixed this problem going to:

Address Book --> Menu button --> Options --> Address Book Options (Desktop) -->

From the Address Book Properties window, change the setting "Wireless Synchronization" to NO

BB 8310
;-)

Desktop usually means you are on a BES, Be careful with that.

Boots89 07-25-2010 05:52 PM

Hey guys, I have the same issue and am trying to load my address book onto a loaner phone. it's an old 8703e. If anyone can help me out it would be great!

JSanders 07-25-2010 07:28 PM

Boots, scroll up, you'll see the answer.