BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9000 Series Discussion - Bold (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   Cannot complete backup on DM (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=194555)

L3stat 06-22-2009 08:48 AM

Cannot complete backup on DM

Hi guys, I can't seem to complete a full backup using DM. Am on a Bold v4.6.0.266, on a company BES, and DM v4.6 with no media manager. Just managed to solve an issue where file transfers to the Bold via USB works, but Intellisync and all synchronizations didn't work. Now I'm at least able to get DM started on the sync process (PIM functions).

The backup seems to terminate at this:
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...ldKeyStore.jpg

I tried clearing some databases using the Advanced function, and managed to get it moving further, but eventually got stuck at:
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...Properties.jpg

Do you guys know what "Core Module Group Properties" are? This Bold I got seem to be plagued with backup/synchronization issues.

TXLady 06-22-2009 10:39 AM

I'm taking a wild guess here. You said are on a BES. The company doesn't want you to back up using DM. Therefore, you can't do it. Most likely the company thinks that since you sync via the BES, there is no reason for you to be able to sync to your desktop nor any need to backup separately.

(I also have a company BB on BES and cannot sync or backup using DM.)

L3stat 06-22-2009 10:47 AM

Wirelessly posted

Actually I would be glad if that's true, because I'll give up knowing it can't be done. To the best of my knowledge, that's not the case, because I've been running backups regularly with my 8707.

nick.dollimount 06-22-2009 05:30 PM

I always have an issue backing up unless I clear "Browser Data Cache". Once that's cleared, goes through with no issues. And this happens on no matter which OS I have on it... and I've been through a lot ;)

Jarrod623 06-22-2009 05:40 PM

Have yuo tried Google Sync, this may be another option for you.

Google Mobile - Sync

Try that, its a wireless SYNC for contacts and calendar events with your gmail.

L3stat 06-22-2009 07:38 PM

Wirelessly posted

Thanks. Tried clearing the browser cache and cookies and stuff, didn't work. When the backup jammed at various databases, I tried clearing the databases that could be cleared. Eventually got to a point where the errant database couldn't be cleared.

@jarrod: Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't use the Google PIM functions.

Jarrod623 06-22-2009 07:44 PM

Well now is a good time to start if you wich to have a good syncing option.

L3stat 06-22-2009 07:54 PM

Wirelessly posted

I take your point. My apologies, neglected to mention that it's company policy to use Lotus Notes.

Jarrod623 06-22-2009 08:11 PM

oohhhh.

Stinsonddog 06-23-2009 12:01 AM

I haven't had this issue since my 8700. Best to just see if you can wipe the HH and start fresh. Its been years since then and haven't had an issue.

L3stat 06-23-2009 12:24 AM

I actually just did that with Java Cmder, but maybe selectively restoring databases from an old 8707 backup (Bold unable to backup at all) screwed it up. Will try again... Sigh...

L3stat 06-23-2009 01:33 AM

I HAVE A BREAKTHROUGH! Just for the fun of it, I thought I'd use Application Loader to reinstall the OS, and doing a backup (the only way I could do a full one) at the same time. Miraculously, immediate after the device data was restored, I completed a full backup! That's before turning on the device radio and doing the enterprise activation again, keeping my fingers crossed, but not holding my breath.

L3stat 06-23-2009 01:52 AM

Update: Sorry for spamming the thread, but after Enterprise Activation, I'm still able to perform a full backup without any issues! Cool!

Just to pass this on, if you're having issues with completing a backup (as in backup runs, but you get an "Unknown error" message), try reinstalling the handheld OS using Application Loader, checking off the backup handheld, delete all applications and delete all application data boxes, just might work for you!

rontiu 06-23-2009 12:01 PM

I get once in a while a corruption issue to, but they seem to go away if I clear browser cache and cookies..the whole thing, on all browser applications I have...running the memory cleaner too...

I did get a very very pesty back up hang up a long time ago, and somehow I believe my calendar was involved...so what I did...restored my current calendar with my last calendar back up...and used that calendar unfortunately as a "new" starting point

Stinsonddog 06-23-2009 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by l3stat (Post 1412749)
I actually just did that with Java Cmder, but maybe selectively restoring databases from an old 8707 backup (Bold unable to backup at all) screwed it up. Will try again... Sigh...

Excellent - glad that worked for you.

SteveMRose 06-27-2009 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by l3stat (Post 1412776)
Update: Sorry for spamming the thread, but after Enterprise Activation, I'm still able to perform a full backup without any issues! Cool!

Just to pass this on, if you're having issues with completing a backup (as in backup runs, but you get an "Unknown error" message), try reinstalling the handheld OS using Application Loader, checking off the backup handheld, delete all applications and delete all application data boxes, just might work for you!

I am having this issue as well so I just want to be sure I really understand what you did.

1. you went into Application Loader and UNCHECKED the OS boxes
(did you uncheck all the other application boxes as well or just the OS)

2. you then ran the Application Loader, which erased the OS (and all the applicaations if you unchecked all the boxes)

3. You then ran Application Loader again and this time checked all the boxes you had unchecked in the previous steps

Is this what you did?

Thank for the clarification.

steve

L3stat 06-27-2009 11:28 AM

Wirelessly posted

Hi Steve. No not exactly. Here's what I did:$

I installed the handset OS on my PC, so I had the full list of OS components to install or not. I merely picked the ones I needed (language support, Attachment Service, DocsToGo etc).

When I said checking off the boxes, there's an option box at the lower right of the App Loader screen. I'm away from my PC, otherwise I'll show you with a screenshot. What's in that page are 3 options, one to backup your data, one to delete all applications (which will be restored after App Loader runs), and one to delete all application data. Essentially when you check all 3 boxes, you're telling App Loader to backup your databases, delete everything on the handheld, reinstall the OS and restore your data.

That did the trick for me. What I suspect caused the problem for me is that the restore from my 8707 backup kinda messed up the databases. In doing the steps above, I think App Loader cleaned these bugs out. Try it, with the backup option you have nothing to lose, except wasted time in doing it, Enterprise Activation (if you're on a company BES), and maybe the hassle of getting EA details from your IT guys (if at all).

L3stat 06-27-2009 11:33 AM

Wirelessly posted

Sorry I wasn't clear, when I said checking off the boxes, I meant making sure the boxes were checked. I just realised what I said could have been ambiguous. Sorry about that.