BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 8300 Series Discussion - Curve (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   BB Curve or HTC Dash? - Wifi will be only data connection (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=192853)

xlr231 06-07-2009 08:25 PM

BB Curve or HTC Dash? - Wifi will be only data connection

I am trying to decide between the BB Curve 8320 and the HTC Dash which runs Windows Mobile. I don't have any data plan and don't plan on getting one. I will use just the Wifi connection for internet, email, etc. since there is wifi available most places I will be using it.

I was leaning toward the BB since it seems to have better hardware(trackball, 3.5mm headphone jack, faster processor). But on some posts here say that you can't do much without a BB data plan. You can't run 3rd party apps, Google maps, pop3 email, etc. Is this true?

With the Dash it seems more customizable, more 3rd party apps available, and it doesn't limit some apps from using Wifi.

Is this accurate? Which would you choose if you were only going to use Wifi for data?

Trimix 06-07-2009 08:48 PM

Wirelessly posted (Tmo's cheapest BB customer)

Based on your needs I might go with the Dash. With the Blackberry you can get 3rd party apps but most tend to be designed to work with a data plan.

RedlineGo 06-08-2009 12:28 AM

2 votes for the dash.

same reasons as listed above.

xlr231 06-08-2009 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trimix (Post 1401221)
Wirelessly posted (Tmo's cheapest BB customer)

Based on your needs I might go with the Dash. With the Blackberry you can get 3rd party apps but most tend to be designed to work with a data plan.

Thanks for the advise. One thing I should say is I only really "need" voice and since both have wifi I would want to be able to browse the Internet with it. Anything else would be just a bonus. With the BB you can use the built in browser over wifi right? How about Opera mini? Can you install games/apps that don't require a data connection?

The thing that concerns me about the Dash is I have read some user reviews saying the processor is slow and it has very limited memory. The design is like 4 years old now, so I am wondering if you may theoretically be able to do more with the software but be limited by the hardware.

I guess I need to see if I can find a store with working models of both phones to check out. The T-Mobile store I was at the other day just had dummy versions.

dc/dc 06-08-2009 12:22 PM

Out of those two, go with the Dash.

Trimix 06-09-2009 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xlr231 (Post 1401583)
With the BB you can use the built in browser over wifi right? How about Opera mini? Can you install games/apps that don't require a data connection?

Yes you can use either the BlackBerry browser, Opera Mini, or even Bolt browser over wifi. I personally perfer opera since I feel it's a bit faster, but it sacrifices some page formatting (in terms of pretty-ness).

As for games/apps: most apps tend are designed to work with the data plan, which means it's harder to find apps that work over wifi. Games on the other hand seldom require data (aside from the initial download) in order to play it.

mrpeez1490 06-10-2009 12:56 AM

idk if you know this already, but when purchasing a blackberry, t-mobile forces you to purchase a blackberry data plan now, so i'm not sure if you can just rely on wifi anymore. and as for the htc dash, are you referring to the current one, or the htc dash 3g which hasnt come out yet. You may want to wait for the new one.

Trimix 06-11-2009 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrpeez1490 (Post 1402939)
idk if you know this already, but when purchasing a blackberry, t-mobile forces you to purchase a blackberry data plan now, so i'm not sure if you can just rely on wifi anymore.

Is that true for Pearls as well? I heard that Pearls are exempt from that new rule.

mrpeez1490 06-11-2009 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trimix (Post 1403785)
Is that true for Pearls as well? I heard that Pearls are exempt from that new rule.

i didnt know that, but i just went on the t-mobile website and clicked around and it appears that the blackberry pearls (flip included) do not require the blackberry data plan. good to know. but since the original poster is interested in the Curve, this tidbit of information may not be relevant.

russell5 06-12-2009 07:55 AM

My friend just went through this exact problem.

He ended up sticking with his dash
So i would say go with dash if your not getting a data plan.

xlr231 06-12-2009 12:11 PM

I ended up getting a Pearl Flip. I prefer the flip style phone since I usually carry it in my pocket without a case but had ruled it out initially since it was double the price of the Curve. I found a deal where I got it free, no activation fee, and no data plan with a 2 year contract extension. So far I am happy with it. I can use Opera mini to browse the web via wifi which was the main thing I wanted to be able to do with it.

Filekhasper 06-12-2009 10:54 PM

I understand you decided on a phone, for those who are undecided...

I own a tmobile dash and just got the curve from att unlocked. I used my dash with my home wifi all the time. Never needed a data plan. I have the curve right now. But based on used it for voice and text, I actually like the BB better. I am by far not a BB fan, in fact, If you ask my wife she would tell you i hate them. I dont even want to like any of them. I must say, I like the Curve better... I hope this helps some what...

As far as the processor speed issue, I noticed the same respond from my Curve 8310 to the Dash. I did unlock the dash to play unsigned software. I installed an emulator and played NES games which played good. I found using the Curve's buttons and trackball so much more natural. Plus the curve seems so much sexier in Red...

Trimix 06-13-2009 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xlr231 (Post 1404884)
I ended up getting a Pearl Flip. I prefer the flip style phone since I usually carry it in my pocket without a case but had ruled it out initially since it was double the price of the Curve. I found a deal where I got it free, no activation fee, and no data plan with a 2 year contract extension. So far I am happy with it. I can use Opera mini to browse the web via wifi which was the main thing I wanted to be able to do with it.

That's great! It's a good phone. Good deal too - can't complain!