BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   WiFi HotZone (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   Messaging Via Wifi (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=261698)

willyg 09-26-2012 04:31 PM

Messaging Via Wifi

greetings. I'm new to smartphones and this forum. Let me just say I appreciate any advice/assistance provided.

i have a bold touch 9900 - with data plan. i have 3 email accounts on the BB - 2 gmail and 1 bell. all work great with mobile network on. however, when i turn mobile network off and try to send emails via wifi, the emails get queued up and don't get sent until i turn the mobile network back on. i can not text or bbm with mobile network off. interestingly, i am able to browse the internet with wifi only (mobile network off).
service status indicates wifi is connected - other wifi devices on the network are working fine.
i've tried messaging via wifi only on another wifi network - same result.
any thoughts as to what the problem might be?
many thanx and cheers
willyg

Motorcycle Mama 09-26-2012 06:08 PM

Re: Messaging Via Wifi

Well, you definitely will not be able to text with the mobile network off because that uses the voice channel and requires the mobile network.

But the data services should work via WiFi if they are already working over the mobile network.

Can you give more details? How are you turning the network off? Are you just unchecking the box?

willyg 09-26-2012 06:34 PM

yes, i am unchecking the box.
so no go with texting.
what about bbm without mobile network? rogers says not possible.
thanx

tsac 09-26-2012 08:36 PM

This may help

KB20055-BlackBerry smartphone does not authenticate to the BlackBerry Infrastructure over Wi-Fi when there is no wireless data coverage

willyg 09-27-2012 08:10 AM

i read the article. not sure i understand what my next step is. call my wireless provider? i've done that 2x and both times they say it's a BB issue.

the article says to do the following - however, i don't see Wi-Fi Tools in Wi-Fi Options so was unable to complete this check:
From the Home screen, click Manage Connections.
Select Wi-Fi Options.
Press the Menu key, and then click Wi-Fi Tools.
Select Wi-Fi Diagnostics.
Scroll down to the BlackBerry Infrastructure section and confirm that the settings Connecting, Authenticating Router, and Authenticating Server all have a green check mark to the right of the listing.

thanks for your help. if you think of anything else, please let me know.

willyg 09-27-2012 09:09 AM

ok i found the blackberry infrastructure section on my BB.
the Connecting setting is red x'ed. and the Authenticating Router and Authenticating Server are greyed out.
is this the problem? should i contact my wireless provider (ie Rogers)?
appreciate any advice or direction you can provide.
cheers
willy