BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General BlackBerry Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Sorry, only emergency calls are allowed (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=28303)

bjspiess 03-10-2006 03:04 PM

Sorry, only emergency calls are allowed

I recently bought a BB on Ebay. After activating it with Verizon, I get the "sorry, only emergency calls are allowed." After talking with Verizon Tech for 2 hours they said whoever owned the phone before, their company must still have it in their server. Before they can do anything it will need to be removed from the server. I talked to the guy, but he bought the phone from somebody and has no idea how to get that company to remove it. I talked to Verizon, to make sure that is the problem and they said yes. The phone isn't on any blackhole list and the ESN is clean, just a network problem. Anybody have any idea how to fix this?

bjspiess 03-10-2006 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjspiess
I recently bought a BB on Ebay. After activating it with Verizon, I get the "sorry, only emergency calls are allowed." After talking with Verizon Tech for 2 hours they said whoever owned the phone before, their company must still have it in their server. Before they can do anything it will need to be removed from the server. I talked to the guy, but he bought the phone from somebody and has no idea how to get that company to remove it. I talked to Verizon, to make sure that is the problem and they said yes. The phone isn't on any blackhole list and the ESN is clean, just a network problem. Anybody have any idea how to fix this?

The previous IT Policy can be removed by following the instructions on this link.

http://users.tpg.com.au/dan1e1w/

jdblank 03-24-2006 11:18 AM

I have followed the instructions in the above hyperlink, however I can still only make emergency calls and I still see an IT Policy Name: Default / Last Updated: Mar 6, 2006 10:48 PM on the device. I am on a BlackBerry 8700c. Any ideas?

KonTiki 03-24-2006 11:22 AM

It is probable still on the Company BES and even though you removed the Policy as soon as it is turned on again it is pushed down to it again. Unless it is removed you have a nice paperweight. Have you contacted the person that sold it to you, if you paid via paypal and there was no indication that the phone was sold as is with no returns, I would try via paypal to get my money back.

jdblank 03-24-2006 11:36 AM

Yes, I have contacted the person and he said that they did remove it from their BES server and he confirmed it again this AM. He did offer to refund me so that is not an issue, but I would prefer to get it working.

I followed the procedure but I did not have my SIM card in the device and the radio is off so I am not sure how the old policy could be pushed down.

Is there any way to verify that the application loader is pulling the policy file based on the regedit changes?

one other thing... After I wipe the device it still retains the password i set originally. Is this normal?

d_fisher 03-24-2006 12:34 PM

You need your SIM card in the BlackBerry and powered when following the instructions included in the link above.

hansenc 03-24-2006 01:07 PM

ok umm you said it was a Blackberry 8700c right? that is a GSM cell phone and will not work with Verizon's network.

tomryan 03-24-2006 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hansenc
ok umm you said it was a Blackberry 8700c right? that is a GSM cell phone and will not work with Verizon's network.

someone hijacked the thread.. not applicable..

hansenc 03-24-2006 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomryan
someone hijacked the thread.. not applicable..

ahh oops i need to read better next time.

jdblank 03-24-2006 07:42 PM

I tried the process again with a SIM in the phone and the policy still shows up. There is also a line that says Secure GC Enabled. Does that have any relevence in wiping the IT Policy?

bb_frustrates_me 03-29-2006 06:17 AM

I have had this happen with one of our users BBs, we first used the wipe handheld option but I don't think this worked from memory. Pretty sure reinstalling the OS fixed the issue.